PSA: don't brag about law review or job shit on facebook

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
kwais

Re: PSA: don't brag about law review or job shit on facebook

Postby kwais » Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:26 pm

you have all collectively lost it

D-hops

Postby D-hops » Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:27 pm

kwais wrote:you have all collectively lost it

Right, everyone else is crazy, you are the sane one.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:30 pm

kwais wrote:you have all collectively lost it

If you think everyone in the thread is a herp derpington, it's probably a sign that you are the herp derpington. That's how social norms work.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:31 pm

Protip: there are these wonderful old-timey inventions that you can use to update your family over the internet about shit like this without telling the entire world... email and instant messaging. Or you could - wait for it - pick up the phone and call them if it is that goddamn important.

I'm seriously not buying that you have more than 10-20 friends/family that really need to know you got on law review.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:31 pm

dresden doll wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
A'nold wrote:It pisses me off that even my wife can't post about an award I just got or something like that b/c oh noes! someone at my school might see it! :shock:

Yeah, it must be very annoying when the necessity to show modicum of grace gets in the way of your self-aggrandisement.

I lolled

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:37 pm

bk1 wrote:Protip: there are these wonderful old-timey inventions that you can use to update your family over the internet about shit like this without telling the entire world... email and instant messaging. Or you could - wait for it - pick up the phone and call them if it is that goddamn important.

I'm seriously not buying that you have more than 10-20 friends/family that really need to know you got on law review.

Yeah, I have no idea how these people let their family know about their accomplishments before Facebook came along.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:39 pm

dresden doll wrote:Yeah, I have no idea how these people let their family know about their accomplishments before Facebook came along.

Probably something like this:

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:45 pm

dresden doll wrote:
bk1 wrote:Protip: there are these wonderful old-timey inventions that you can use to update your family over the internet about shit like this without telling the entire world... email and instant messaging. Or you could - wait for it - pick up the phone and call them if it is that goddamn important.

Yeah, I have no idea how these people let their family know about their accomplishments before Facebook came along.

I actually wasn't aware I had a family until they started adding me on Facebook and listing me as their "son" or "brother" or what-have-you.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:01 pm

kwais wrote:Seems to me that the issue here is how people use and see FB. Everyone in my family is on FB, grandmothers, cousins, uncles, mother, father. It's a nice way for us to communicate. It's only "public" to the degree that people [i]can[i] read it, but that doesn't mean they should care. Others apparently still see facebook as a place to posture and jockey for their social image online. That's why they read into people posting their accomplishments. Like the people who have posted that they would be "embarrassed" if their mom posted about them on FB. Why? Do you still post pictures of yourself getting wasted or something? Are you a different person on there than IRL?

This is the way I use FB as well. Most of my family is on it, including cousins and aunts and uncles whom I don't regularly email or call, but who still like to be informed about good things happening. I posted when I got accepted/WLed by schools during my app cycle, and posted when I'd decided on a school. I wouldn't post my actual grades, but I'd definitely post something like "Got my grades back and I did well, even in Contracts, which I was worried about. So relieved!" And I'd for SURE post that I got LR, just like I'd post if I got engaged, closed on a house, or summitted a mountain--they're events that people who care about me would care about.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:03 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
kwais wrote:Seems to me that the issue here is how people use and see FB. Everyone in my family is on FB, grandmothers, cousins, uncles, mother, father. It's a nice way for us to communicate. It's only "public" to the degree that people [i]can[i] read it, but that doesn't mean they should care. Others apparently still see facebook as a place to posture and jockey for their social image online. That's why they read into people posting their accomplishments. Like the people who have posted that they would be "embarrassed" if their mom posted about them on FB. Why? Do you still post pictures of yourself getting wasted or something? Are you a different person on there than IRL?

This is the way I use FB as well. Most of my family is on it, including cousins and aunts and uncles whom I don't regularly email or call, but who still like to be informed about good things happening. I posted when I got accepted/WLed by schools during my app cycle, and posted when I'd decided on a school. I wouldn't post my actual grades, but I'd definitely post something like "Got my grades back and I did well, even in Contracts, which I was worried about. So relieved!" And I'd for SURE post that I got LR, just like I'd post if I got engaged, closed on a house, or summitted a mountain--they're events that people who care about me would care about.

Then don't friend your classmates. It's a dick move to talk about how great things are going for you when you have classmates who may be struggling.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:06 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:

It appears that you're a 0L. I will approve of your doing this only when you would feel comfortable saying it to the face of each of your FB friends. If, after starting school, you still think that would be appropriate, you should absolutely go for it.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:10 pm

bjsesq wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:

Then don't friend your classmates. It's a dick move to talk about how great things are going for you when you have classmates who may be struggling.

Very credited. Would I care if one of my friends in med school posts on his facebook wall about snagging a highly-coveted position? Not at all. However, I hope he has enough tact not to make that post when dozens of his Facebook friends he knows through med school were vying for that same position, wanted it badly, poured hours upon hours of work into trying to get it, but missed out.

The "posting about your engagement" thing also needs to stop. If you can't figure out the difference between that and posting about law review or grades, may god have mercy on your soul.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:13 pm

IAFG wrote:It appears that you're a 0L. I will approve of your doing this only when you would feel comfortable saying it to the face of each of your FB friends. If, after starting school, you still think that would be appropriate, you should absolutely go for it.

Very true, I am a 0L. If it turns out that it does feel wrong (I'm not a total social retard IRL), I would of course adjust my personal 'policy.' But I'm having a really hard time imagining that.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:16 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
IAFG wrote:It appears that you're a 0L. I will approve of your doing this only when you would feel comfortable saying it to the face of each of your FB friends. If, after starting school, you still think that would be appropriate, you should absolutely go for it.

Very true, I am a 0L. If it turns out that it does feel wrong (I'm not a total social retard IRL), I would of course adjust my personal 'policy.' But I'm having a really hard time imagining that.

Start by imagining that instead of doing well, even in Contracts, that you're bottom 1/3. That might help.

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:21 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:

Yeah, because there is no meaningful difference between posting about LR vs. summiting a mountain.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:23 pm

IAFG wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:

Start by imagining that instead of doing well, even in Contracts, that you're bottom 1/3. That might help.
Then imagine a person who grates on you in class posting that. Next, imagine yourself standing behind them with a bottle in hand while out at a bar in late December, contemplating getting a jump on next semester's criminal law studies a little earlier than anticipated.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:25 pm

Helmholtz wrote:The "posting about your engagement" thing also needs to stop. If you can't figure out the difference between that and posting about law review or grades, may god have mercy on your soul.

As a single person, I'd like to know your reasoning. I don't begrudge my engaged friends their announcements, photos and plans (to a point--facebook does not need to hear about your fucking napkin monograms), even though in certain moods, it really sucks to see constant reminders of their coupledom to compare to my single state.

If it's because the marriage market isn't a direct competition like between law school classmates, I would argue that sometimes it damn well feels like it is.

Aston2412

Postby Aston2412 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:26 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:

The adversarial nature of law school (in everything from grading to competitions) means that every A you get or spot you get is one less spot for your friends. Hopefully, you all get straight As and make every skills board and grade/write on to law review. Hopefully.

In reality, that probably won't happen. It's just not appropriate.

Analogy: It would be like posting on your best friend's facebook wall a message concerning her ex-boyfriend (you're in the same small section) that you slept with while they were still together (you got all A-'s or better and she got all B+'s or worse) and now you're getting married (you graded onto law review and she got a secondary journal) while you were juggling two other boys on the side (you got mock trial and moot court memberships) and she had to seek solace in the arms of that weird boy that no one likes and smells vaguely like paste (she got ADR).
Last edited by Aston2412 on Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ToTransferOrNot

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:26 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:The "posting about your engagement" thing also needs to stop. If you can't figure out the difference between that and posting about law review or grades, may god have mercy on your soul.

As a single person, I'd like to know your reasoning. I don't begrudge my engaged friends their announcements, photos and plans (to a point--facebook does not need to hear about your fucking napkin monograms), even though in certain moods, it really sucks to see constant reminders of their coupledom to compare to my single state.

If it's because the marriage market isn't a direct competition like between law school classmates, I would argue that sometimes it damn well feels like it is.

I thought about typing out a well-thought response to this. But then I decided not to. Instead:

ITT: HERPDERP

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:26 pm

But facebook exists only for bragging!!!!!!

(Also: everyone claims to not be a social retard irl.)

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:29 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:

Oh my dear God. Are you seriously attempting to avoid understanding how qualifying for a limited number of LR spots following a heavy financial investment into law school is meaningfully distinct from finding a person to marry out of however many millions of eligible individuals?

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:But facebook exists only for bragging!!!!!!

(Also: everyone claims to not be a social retard irl.)
This is an especially pertinent observation, given that this is all taking place on a message board dedicated to the NFL for aspies.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:33 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:

Seriously?

It is so different, I really don't even know where to begin. Law school is essentially a zero-sum game. You get good grades because others got bad grades. You get onto law review to the detriment of others who did not get onto law review. If you don't do as well in law school as you wanted or missed law review, there's no going back and changing that or hoping that you have a better shot next time--because there is no next time. You have won and others have lost, and they have no future shots at erasing their loss. Everything I just said about law school? I am missing how it even compares to the engagement hypo.

Postby 09042014 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:38 pm

Rinkrat, the new corsair?

ToTransferOrNot

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:39 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:

Seriously?

It is so different, I really don't even know where to begin. Law school is essentially a zero-sum game. You get good grades because others got bad grades. You get onto law review to the detriment of others who did not get onto law review. If you don't do as well in law school as you wanted or missed law review, there's no going back and changing that or hoping that you have a better shot next time--because there is no next time. You have won and others have lost, and they have no future shots at erasing their loss. Everything I just said about law school? I am missing how it even compares to the engagement hypo.

But what if the person in question married the object of herpderp's desire?!?!

Return to “Legal Employment”