PSA: don't brag about law review or job shit on facebook

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Helmholtz

Re: PSA: don't brag about law review or job shit on facebook

Postby Helmholtz » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:10 am

swc65 wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
swc65 wrote: But a simple announcement on a page that sensitive people are not required to read isn't that bad.

Seriously, please quit with the "but they're not required to read it" or "I'm not forcing them to read it." I just don't even..........arrrggghhh.

LoL the only reason I mention that is because it is not the same as "runnig up to a homeless person and shouting it in their face."

(1) I can't always control what Facebook chooses to put up on my wall.
(2) I sometimes click into people's profiles without....gasp.....knowing exactly what they've written.

so.......

swc65

Postby swc65 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:13 am

Anonymous User wrote:
swc65 wrote:Great argument technique. Calling people names and writing "eff-you" really drives the point home and makes people respect your opinions. Your anonymous post (while revealing no personal information that needs to be hidden) does not come across as vile and filled with hatred at all. :roll:

I apologize. I just get very aggravated with how socially inept and oblivious some people are. Then again, if somebody still hasn't grasped why they shouldn't do stuff like posting about law review offers on Facebook, they are far too gone to talk common sense into. So my rant probably is wasted.

Someone disagreeing with you on something relating to social interaction does not make them "socially inept." We are nto talking about urinating on epople in public for no good reason (not that there is a good reason to do this). This is a topic that people have differing, and I think reasonable, opinions about. Be tee dubs, I totaly would never post that crap on FB. Motsly because I hate FB. I just dont really see the difference between posting "I love X" and " I got X Award" other than the sensitivity level of those who read/hear it. I get what you're saying in that people who did well should take the feelings of those who didn't do well into consideration. I just don't agree that taking their feelings into account means not mentioning at all how well you did. Obvi, don't rub their faces (or mine) in it. But, I don't think people who did well should live in fear of social backlash if they ever mention anything relating to their accomplishments.

Also did no one watch the babies and the water spraying video? It is probably one of the funniest things I have seen. I'll repost it!

D-hops

Postby D-hops » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:21 am

Rurik wrote:To all the morons who compare posting about making law review or getting good grades to fill-in-the-blank good news: You are morons. If you can't understand the difference between a status update telling people what an awesome vacation you just had versus what an awesome law review submission you had, you're a moron.

The former, nobody really gives a shit. Good job. You had a great vacation. We've all had great vacations and we expect to have more great vacations in the future.

The latter, dozens of people you're linked to on Facebook (many of which might not even qualify as real-life "friends" or at least not close friends) worked extremely hard on whatever it is you did, but came up short. And they don't get a second shot. They invested their time and emotions into something that didn't pan out and are probably a little depressed about it. Think about how you would feel if you were below median or bottom quarter or whatever. Or if your poured everything you had into the law review competition and didn't make it.

Did I have bad grades and am just bitter? Not at all. I'm very proud about where I ended up in the class. OCI is coming up and I'm going to have a decent shot at the majority of the V10. Good for me. I feel lucky and I pray to god that I'm never douchey enough to be completely unaware of what others must be feeling.

tl;dr - fuck all you morons who say that your fellow law students should quit crying and "just be happy about what you've accomplished." Seriously, fuck you guys. You're so fucking oblivious to the feelings of others, it's sad.

That is all.

Nice job bitching about people posting their grades and making others feel inadequate while not so subtly bragging about your own grades.

Rurik

Postby Rurik » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:23 am

D-hops wrote:
Rurik wrote:To all the morons who compare posting about making law review or getting good grades to fill-in-the-blank good news: You are morons. If you can't understand the difference between a status update telling people what an awesome vacation you just had versus what an awesome law review submission you had, you're a moron.

The former, nobody really gives a shit. Good job. You had a great vacation. We've all had great vacations and we expect to have more great vacations in the future.

The latter, dozens of people you're linked to on Facebook (many of which might not even qualify as real-life "friends" or at least not close friends) worked extremely hard on whatever it is you did, but came up short. And they don't get a second shot. They invested their time and emotions into something that didn't pan out and are probably a little depressed about it. Think about how you would feel if you were below median or bottom quarter or whatever. Or if your poured everything you had into the law review competition and didn't make it.

Did I have bad grades and am just bitter? Not at all. I'm very proud about where I ended up in the class. OCI is coming up and I'm going to have a decent shot at the majority of the V10. Good for me. I feel lucky and I pray to god that I'm never douchey enough to be completely unaware of what others must be feeling.

tl;dr - fuck all you morons who say that your fellow law students should quit crying and "just be happy about what you've accomplished." Seriously, fuck you guys. You're so fucking oblivious to the feelings of others, it's sad.

That is all.

Nice job bitching about people posting their grades and making others feel inadequate while not so subtly bragging about your own grades.

Yeah, I think a mod changed that post. Was supposed to be anonymous. It might as well still be anonymous though, because I am 100% certain nobody at my school links me with my TLS name.

kwais

Postby kwais » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:26 am

D-hops wrote:

That is all.

:lol:

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:37 am

swc65 wrote:

See this is where I disagree. I don't see someone saying "yay I got X" as a passive-aggressive way of doing anything. I understand and appreciate the feeling of just wanting to shout something from the rooftops. People have a natural tendency to want to share good news. What made you so cynical as to see it as anything but that? I mean, they don't need to go on Oprah and jump up and down on a couch to prove they're not gay excited. But a simple announcement on a page that sensitive people are not required to read isn't that bad.

You're not required to refrain from sharing grades with the world. Just be aware that the more socially conscious are going to consider you a dick for gloating about winning what is essentially a cruel zero sum game.

kwais

Postby kwais » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:40 am

dresden doll wrote:
swc65 wrote:

See this is where I disagree. I don't see someone saying "yay I got X" as a passive-aggressive way of doing anything. I understand and appreciate the feeling of just wanting to shout something from the rooftops. People have a natural tendency to want to share good news. What made you so cynical as to see it as anything but that? I mean, they don't need to go on Oprah and jump up and down on a couch to prove they're not gay excited. But a simple announcement on a page that sensitive people are not required to read isn't that bad.

You're not required to refrain from sharing grades with the world. Just be aware that the more socially conscious are going to consider you a dick for gloating about winning what is essentially a cruel zero sum game.

They must have given trophies to the losing team in your tball league. Special snowflake ftw

D-hops

Postby D-hops » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:42 am

kwais wrote:
dresden doll wrote:
swc65 wrote:

They must have given trophies to the losing team in your tball league. Special snowflake ftw

That analogy is stupid. Do you pay $200K to play t-ball and does it determine your livelihood for potentially the rest of your life?

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:44 am

kwais wrote:

Actually, I'm from a place where your high school professors will openly tell you you're a moron if you're a moron. That might be why I'm unwilling to pretend that your egregious desire to brag is nothing more than an innocuous instinct to share good news.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:45 am

kwais wrote:
dresden doll wrote:
swc65 wrote:

ITT people who don't realize everyone hates what they post on FB try desperately to come up with insults against those who are trying to nicely tell them to shut up for their rep's sake. Thereby, if anything, only further damaging their rep. Hilarious.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

kwais

Postby kwais » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:46 am

D-hops wrote:
kwais wrote:
dresden doll wrote:
swc65 wrote:

That analogy is stupid. Do you pay $200K to play t-ball and does it determine your livelihood for potentially the rest of your life?

oh my god, get a grip. think about it, posting pictures about your ski vacation is way more insensitive considering that 99% of the world cannot afford to ski. You are in law school. you wanted law review. stop treating over-ambitious people's disappointment as it is the most important issue on the planet. I've watched people on this site for months talk about "law school is cutthroat" "law school is a competition, get used to it" and all that, and now that not everyone gets to be part of a very exclusive, prestigious club, its an issue of social morality? get a little perspective

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:50 am

kwais wrote:oh my god, get a grip. think about it, posting pictures about your ski vacation is way more insensitive considering that 99% of the world cannot afford to ski. You are in law school. you wanted law review. stop treating over-ambitious people's disappointment as it is the most important issue on the planet. I've watched people on this site for months talk about "law school is cutthroat" "law school is a competition, get used to it" and all that, and now that not everyone gets to be part of a very exclusive, prestigious club, its an issue of social morality? get a little perspective

LOL at you asking anyone ITT 'to get perspective.'

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:51 am

kwais wrote:
D-hops wrote:
kwais wrote:

oh my god, get a grip. think about it, posting pictures about your ski vacation is way more insensitive considering that 99% of the world cannot afford to ski. You are in law school. you wanted law review. stop treating over-ambitious people's disappointment as it is the most important issue on the planet. I've watched people on this site for months talk about "law school is cutthroat" "law school is a competition, get used to it" and all that, and now that not everyone gets to be part of a very exclusive, prestigious club, its an issue of social morality? get a little perspective

At this point, we should start encouraging this behavior, so that people like you will do it, and then everyone will dislike them. Nobody cares about the morals, man. If everyone thinks you're a dick for doing something, doesn't that kind of make you a....dick? Isn't being a dick defined by what everyone thinks being a dick is? So what do you think you are going to accomplish here?

D-hops

Postby D-hops » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:54 am

kwais wrote:oh my god, get a grip. think about it, posting pictures about your ski vacation is way more insensitive considering that 99% of the world cannot afford to ski. You are in law school. you wanted law review. stop treating over-ambitious people's disappointment as it is the most important issue on the planet. I've watched people on this site for months talk about "law school is cutthroat" "law school is a competition, get used to it" and all that, and now that not everyone gets to be part of a very exclusive, prestigious club, its an issue of social morality? get a little perspective

Maybe the complexities of social behaviors are lost on you, but if you think that posting vacation photos will be more upsetting to people than posting about your stellar grades and law review credentials will be to classmates, you have gone full herpderp.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:56 am

The real issue isn't whether people are being sensitive for you posting law review/OCI stuff on your Facebook, it's what reaction exactly are you hoping to engender by posting such information? Obviously you don't want to engender no reaction because it's irrational to pubically post information with the desire that it have absolutely no impact on anyone that reads it. So you must want some sort of reaction. What reaction? At best you're seeking a purfunctory pat on the back from your classmates. You might as well just post: "I would like a purfunctory pat on the back" on your FB, I'm sure they'd oblige just the same.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:57 am

the appropriate response to this douchery is to remind them every single time you go out to get drunk and get laid that they are sitting in front of their laptop worrying about italicized periods.

kwais

Postby kwais » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:58 am

Anonymous User wrote:
kwais wrote:
D-hops wrote:
kwais wrote:

At this point, we should start encouraging this behavior, so that people like you will do it, and then everyone will dislike them. Nobody cares about the morals, man. If everyone thinks you're a dick for doing something, doesn't that kind of make you a....dick? Isn't being a dick defined by what everyone thinks being a dick is? So what do you think you are going to accomplish here?

In all honesty, no, I don't think that what everyone else thinks is the determining factor in what you are. I think that this is a weak way to go through life. You are probably thinking that I don't care about people's feelings or something. Nothing could be further from the truth. I too might refrain from posting something like that for the same reasons you cite. I take issue with the way people are characterizing it. oh, lol at someone saying that thread is about people politely discouraging people from doing something socially inept to save their reps. This has been the biggest over-privileged bitch fest ever, and you know it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:04 pm

kwais wrote:In all honesty, no, I don't think that what everyone else thinks is the determining factor in what you are. I think that this is a weak way to go through life. You are probably thinking that I don't care about people's feelings or something. Nothing could be further from the truth. I too might refrain from posting something like that for the same reasons you cite. I take issue with the way people are characterizing it. oh, lol at someone saying that thread is about people politely discouraging people from doing something socially inept to save their reps. This has been the biggest over-privileged bitch fest ever, and you know it.

no im pretty sure if everyone thinks you are a dick, then by definition, you are a dick. sorry dude

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:13 pm

D-hops wrote:
Is it so hard to say, "I don't want to talk about grades" when you are out with friends?

No, no it's not. I always say this, every time. And yet I know nearly everyone's GPA because it is a beast that can't be stopped. I also know who made LR, because making that a "secret" turned it into the most salacious gossip of the summer. So you see, facebook braggers, it's likely everyone knows anyway. Comparing it to vacations, getting married, etc. just highlights your utter lack of social grace. I am struggling to think of anything more aspie than taking a social convention like announcing your engagement or shutting the fuck up about grades, getting upset that the norm is what it is, and then arguing about it. Analogize all you want, that's not going to change the norm.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:14 pm

D-hops wrote:

Maybe the complexities of social behaviors are lost on you, but if you think that posting vacation photos will be more upsetting to people than posting about your stellar grades and law review credentials will be to classmates, you have gone full herpderp.

So. Fucking. Right.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:20 pm

Update profile to include LR. Before anybody sees it, delete the post that says "X updated his profile" so that it appears on neither my wall or the feed of anybody else. So the only way to see the LR status, one would have to purposefully click on the "Info" tab of the fb.com profile.

Need a verdict: douchey or no?

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
A'nold wrote:It pisses me off that even my wife can't post about an award I just got or something like that b/c oh noes! someone at my school might see it! :shock:

Yeah, it must be very annoying when the necessity to show modicum of grace gets in the way of your self-aggrandisement.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:21 pm

bk1 wrote:Update profile to include LR. Before anybody sees it, delete the post that says "X updated his profile" so that it appears on neither my wall or the feed of anybody else. So the only way to see the LR status, one would have to purposefully click on the "Info" tab of the fb.com profile.

Who the fuck puts law review on their FB profile? I mean, bad enough on the wall, but under personal info? Are you fucking kidding me?

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:22 pm

bk1 wrote:Update profile to include LR. Before anybody sees it, delete the post that says "X updated his profile" so that it appears on neither my wall or the feed of anybody else. So the only way to see the LR status, one would have to purposefully click on the "Info" tab of the fb.com profile.

If you have to ask...

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:25 pm

Fuel successfully added to the fire.

Return to “Legal Employment”