PSA: don't brag about law review or job shit on facebook

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: PSA: don't brag about law review or job shit on facebook

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:34 am

Why would you friend a person/competitor from law school in the first place? Isn't LS survival of the fittest? Does a squirrel friend a hawk?

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:25 am

A'nold wrote:On a completely serious note (I wrote this earlier but it apparently didn't post) I have now earned top grades at two different schools and this is a real issue at least for me. At both schools all but one of my friends was median or lower and when a group of us get together and the inevitable complaints about grades and professors come up it is extremely awkward. You are damned if you do/don't. So you have to take the middle ground and not completely lie while implying that you also got bad or mediocre grades. I say things like "yeah, that exam was BRUTAL" and stuff like that but never mention my grades. It comes up sometimes and I try to pull the whole "I did o.k." thing but sometimes friends demand more. Then I look like a douche while trying to be entirely anti-douche. Lose lose situation for students that should be able to be proud in a non-gloating way. I know you low grade peons (I feel I must clearly tell you that the peons thing is a joke so I don't get TLS lynched) have no sympathy for us but it is extremely immature for you guys to take such an attitude/stance.

Inapposite.

kwais

Postby kwais » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:41 am

Seems to me that the issue here is how people use and see FB. Everyone in my family is on FB, grandmothers, cousins, uncles, mother, father. It's a nice way for us to communicate. It's only "public" to the degree that people [i]can[i] read it, but that doesn't mean they should care. Others apparently still see facebook as a place to posture and jockey for their social image online. That's why they read into people posting their accomplishments. Like the people who have posted that they would be "embarrassed" if their mom posted about them on FB. Why? Do you still post pictures of yourself getting wasted or something? Are you a different person on there than IRL?

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:53 am

kwais wrote:Seems to me that the issue here is how people use and see FB. Everyone in my family is on FB, grandmothers, cousins, uncles, mother, father. It's a nice way for us to communicate. It's only "public" to the degree that people [i]can[i] read it, but that doesn't mean they should care. Others apparently still see facebook as a place to posture and jockey for their social image online. That's why they read into people posting their accomplishments. Like the people who have posted that they would be "embarrassed" if their mom posted about them on FB. Why? Do you still post pictures of yourself getting wasted or something? Are you a different person on there than IRL?

Yes, clearly those that eschew bragging on Facebook are just the ones that are seeking to 'posture and jockey for their social image online.'

kwais

Postby kwais » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:55 am

dresden doll wrote:
kwais wrote:Seems to me that the issue here is how people use and see FB. Everyone in my family is on FB, grandmothers, cousins, uncles, mother, father. It's a nice way for us to communicate. It's only "public" to the degree that people [i]can[i] read it, but that doesn't mean they should care. Others apparently still see facebook as a place to posture and jockey for their social image online. That's why they read into people posting their accomplishments. Like the people who have posted that they would be "embarrassed" if their mom posted about them on FB. Why? Do you still post pictures of yourself getting wasted or something? Are you a different person on there than IRL?

Yes, clearly those that eschew bragging on Facebook are just the ones that are seeking to 'posture and jockey for their social image online.'

if "OMG, I just (accomplished something I've wanted really bad and the people who actually know me will be really proud of me)" is bragging, then yes, that is how you use FB

Kilpatrick

Postby Kilpatrick » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:00 am

What if I post about getting a job, but I hide the post from everyone at my law school so that only family and other friends see it? Still douchey?

D-hops

Postby D-hops » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:12 am

A'nold wrote:On a completely serious note (I wrote this earlier but it apparently didn't post) I have now earned top grades at two different schools and this is a real issue at least for me. At both schools all but one of my friends was median or lower and when a group of us get together and the inevitable complaints about grades and professors come up it is extremely awkward. You are damned if you do/don't. So you have to take the middle ground and not completely lie while implying that you also got bad or mediocre grades. I say things like "yeah, that exam was BRUTAL" and stuff like that but never mention my grades. It comes up sometimes and I try to pull the whole "I did o.k." thing but sometimes friends demand more. Then I look like a douche while trying to be entirely anti-douche. Lose lose situation for students that should be able to be proud in a non-gloating way. I know you low grade peons (I feel I must clearly tell you that the peons thing is a joke so I don't get TLS lynched) have no sympathy for us but it is extremely immature for you guys to take such an attitude/stance.

Is it so hard to say, "I don't want to talk about grades" when you are out with friends?
Last edited by D-hops on Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:14 am

kwais wrote:
dresden doll wrote:

if "OMG, I just (accomplished something I've wanted really bad and the people who actually know me will be really proud of me)" is bragging, then yes, that is how you use FB

Ah, so people who recognize posts like those for what they are - i.e. bragging - and refrain from posting in such vein themselves are in fact those who brag. Got it!

kwais

Postby kwais » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:15 am

dresden doll wrote:
kwais wrote:
dresden doll wrote:

Ah, so people who recognize posts like those for what they are - i.e. bragging - and refrain from posting in such vein themselves are in fact those who brag. Got it!

yep

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:15 am

D-hops wrote:
Is it so hard to say, "I don't want to talk about grades" when you are out with friends?

Life is generally hard if you're a prolific hurrdurr.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:22 am

Yes, so you might be the minority who uses FB in this way. Frankly I do not think most people use FB to update close family on accomplishments rather than, say, viewing FB as a friend or peer-oriented social networking site. I literally cannot imagine others my age using FB primarily to update family....no offense. The rest of us are criticizing the jerks who view FB as a way to "jockey" by posting their grades such that all can see.

But all this argument is kind of irrelevant. Who cares whether you have a moral right to post, or whether you are actually just trying to update grandma? The point is that almost everyone views you as a jerk when you do these things. You can ignore that fact and claim the moral high ground, but guess what, everyone will still view you as a jerk. I think this thread was started as a PSA to people who naively believe others don't hate them for doing this stuff. I don't think anybody could care less whether you think you have a right to post--go ahead, nobody is stopping you.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:27 am, edited 2 times in total.

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:24 am

Here is my advice, which you can choose to take (or not): My closest friends in my year at LS had a GPA non-disclosure pact. They still don't know my exact grades, and I don't know theirs. We did this because we didn't want our perceptions about one another to be altered by who had aced torts and who hadn't. Some of us made biglaw, and some of us didn't (and some never did OCI at all), so after time we had a vague idea of what people's grades may have been like (others made journals with GPA cutoffs, so our lack of knowledge was not absolute), but the fact that we didn't talk about numbers made a difference, IMO. It made us less competitive with one another, and made the friendships into something of a respite from the constant stressing over jobs and class rank.

I recommend making your LS friendships about other things than numbers. If you really need to tell somebody you have a 3.876 or twelve callbacks in the V20, tell your mom. (At the very least, confide to someone who doesn't go to your school and is secure with his or her job, and do so privately.)

swc65

Postby swc65 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:25 am

D-hops wrote:

Well how can you call people friends if you unable to talk about something like grades. Jesus, people whip it out to see whose is bigger faster than they talk about grades.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:28 am

All of facebook is bragging. That's what the status thing is about.

D-hops

Postby D-hops » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:37 am

swc65 wrote:
D-hops wrote:

Well how can you call people friends if you unable to talk about something like grades. Jesus, people whip it out to see whose is bigger faster than they talk about grades.

Did you read his post? He said that he didn't want to talk about grades with those people because he had done better, so he was skirting the issue by saying he did OK. If he didn't want to lie he could just say he didn't want to talk about grades. I have no problem talking about grades with my close friends, but I am also not going to go shouting them to the world.

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:38 am

swc65 wrote:

You can talk grades with friends without plastering your GPA all over your facebook status.

swc65

Postby swc65 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:42 am

dresden doll wrote:
swc65 wrote:

You can talk grades with friends without plastering your GPA all over your facebook status.

I totally agree that posting your GPA/Transcript is over the top. I have written that about five times. I agree with A'nold in that posting "I got X Award" or "Yes! LR.So happy I could die." is not.

swc65

Postby swc65 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:43 am

D-hops wrote:
swc65 wrote:
D-hops wrote:

Did you read his post? He said that he didn't want to talk about grades with those people because he had done better, so he was skirting the issue by saying he did OK. If he didn't want to lie he could just say he didn't want to talk about grades. I have no problem talking about grades with my close friends, but I am also not going to go shouting them to the world.

I just wanted to use the whip it out line and saw my chance. :lol: Im guessing it was not as funny as I thought! :mrgreen:

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:44 am

swc65 wrote:
dresden doll wrote:
swc65 wrote:

I totally agree that posting your GPA/Transcript is over the top. I have written that about five times. I agree with A'nold in that posting "I got X Award" or "Yes! LR.So happy I could die." is not.

Sharing awards info is the passive aggressive way of accomplishing the same thing.

swc65

Postby swc65 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:02 am

dresden doll wrote:
swc65 wrote:
dresden doll wrote:
swc65 wrote:

Sharing awards info is the passive aggressive way of accomplishing the same thing.

See this is where I disagree. I don't see someone saying "yay I got X" as a passive-aggressive way of doing anything. I understand and appreciate the feeling of just wanting to shout something from the rooftops. People have a natural tendency to want to share good news. What made you so cynical as to see it as anything but that? I mean, they don't need to go on Oprah and jump up and down on a couch to prove they're not gay excited. But a simple announcement on a page that sensitive people are not required to read isn't that bad.
Last edited by swc65 on Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rurik

Postby Rurik » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:03 am

To all the morons who compare posting about making law review or getting good grades to fill-in-the-blank good news: You are morons. If you can't understand the difference between a status update telling people what an awesome vacation you just had versus what an awesome law review submission you had, you're a moron.

The former, nobody really gives a shit. Good job. You had a great vacation. We've all had great vacations and we expect to have more great vacations in the future.

The latter, dozens of people you're linked to on Facebook (many of which might not even qualify as real-life "friends" or at least not close friends) worked extremely hard on whatever it is you did, but came up short. And they don't get a second shot. They invested their time and emotions into something that didn't pan out and are probably a little depressed about it. Think about how you would feel if you were below median or bottom quarter or whatever. Or if your poured everything you had into the law review competition and didn't make it.

Did I have bad grades and am just bitter? Not at all. I'm very proud about where I ended up in the class. OCI is coming up and I'm going to have a decent shot at the majority of the V10. Good for me. I feel lucky and I pray to god that I'm never douchey enough to be completely unaware of what others must be feeling.

tl;dr - fuck all you morons who say that your fellow law students should quit crying and "just be happy about what you've accomplished." Seriously, fuck you guys. You're so fucking oblivious to the feelings of others, it's sad.

That is all.

swc65

Postby swc65 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:05 am

Anonymous User wrote:To all the morons who compare posting about making law review or getting good grades to fill-in-the-blank good news: You are morons. If you can't understand the difference between a status update telling people what an awesome vacation you just had versus what an awesome law review submission you had, you're a moron.

The former, nobody really gives a shit. Good job. You had a great vacation. We've all had great vacations and we expect to have more great vacations in the future.

The latter, dozens of people you're linked to on Facebook (many of which might not even qualify as real-life "friends" or at least not close friends) worked extremely hard on whatever it is you did, but came up short. And they don't get a second shot. They invested their time and emotions into something that didn't pan out and are probably a little depressed about it. Think about how you would feel if you were below median or bottom quarter or whatever. Or if your poured everything you had into the law review competition and didn't make it.

Did I have bad grades and am just bitter? Not at all. I'm very proud about where I ended up in the class. OCI is coming up and I'm going to have a decent shot at the majority of the V10. Good for me. I feel lucky and I pray to god that I'm never douchey enough to be completely unaware of what others must be feeling.

tl;dr - fuck all you morons who say that your fellow law students should quit crying and "just be happy about what you've accomplished." Seriously, fuck you guys. You're so fucking oblivious to the feelings of others, it's sad.

That is all.

Great argument technique. Calling people names and writing "eff-you" really drives the point home and makes people respect your opinions. Your anonymous post (while revealing no personal information that needs to be hidden) does not come across as vile and filled with hatred at all. :roll:

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:05 am

swc65 wrote: But a simple announcement on a page that sensitive people are not required to read isn't that bad.

Seriously, please quit with the "but they're not required to read it" or "I'm not forcing them to read it." I just don't even..........arrrggghhh.

Rurik

Postby Rurik » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:07 am

swc65 wrote:Great argument technique. Calling people names and writing "eff-you" really drives the point home and makes people respect your opinions. Your anonymous post (while revealing no personal information that needs to be hidden) does not come across as vile and filled with hatred at all. :roll:

I apologize. I just get very aggravated with how socially inept and oblivious some people are. Then again, if somebody still hasn't grasped why they shouldn't do stuff like posting about law review offers on Facebook, they are far too gone to talk common sense into. So my rant probably is wasted.

swc65

Postby swc65 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:08 am

Helmholtz wrote:
swc65 wrote: But a simple announcement on a page that sensitive people are not required to read isn't that bad.

Seriously, please quit with the "but they're not required to read it" or "I'm not forcing them to read it." I just don't even..........arrrggghhh.

LoL the only reason I mention that is because it is not the same as "runnig up to a homeless person and shouting it in their face."

Return to “Legal Employment”