PSA: don't brag about law review or job shit on facebook

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
zanda
Posts: 526
Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:36 am

Re: PSA: don't brag about law review or job shit on facebook

Postby zanda » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:38 pm

Lawquacious wrote:
zanda wrote:
Lawquacious wrote:
thesealocust wrote:Not because it will make you look unprofessional and douchey, but because I actually will find you and destroy you. I have agents everywhere.

Always. Watching.



I take it you didn't make law review? :wink:

Actually I'm basically on board with this sentiment, but I am definitely a believer that people can post whatever the **** they want when using *their* own social media...

This feels as unpersuasive as when people argue that the First Amendment should prevent us from criticizing the content of others' speech.


Yes, because people often use the First Amendment to argue that free speech should be curtailed. :wink:

That's not what I said, but I admire your commitment to the illiteracy role. What people do is fail to see that the legal right to say something is different from the question of whether one ought to say something. Person A says something racist, Person B criticizes that speech, and Person C claims that Person B doesn't believe in the First Amendment. Being such a dumbass is almost as stupid as saying that something being within the confines of the Facebook TOS is the same question as whether one should post that thing on Facebook.

User avatar
NZA
Posts: 1285
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:01 pm

Re: PSA: don't brag about law review or job shit on facebook

Postby NZA » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:38 pm

Z3RO wrote:Waah waah, buncha self-absorbed babies. This is exactly what Google+ circles are for. That way you can tell the people in your life who care about you things that you're excited about without some ever-child flying into an impotent rage across town.

I feel like you're missing the point.

User avatar
zanda
Posts: 526
Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:36 am

Re: PSA: don't brag about law review or job shit on facebook

Postby zanda » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:39 pm

cortknee wrote:
zanda wrote:
cortknee wrote:
IAFG wrote:In the context of a significant number of your facebook friends facing crippling debt and dismal employment prospects, it's absolutely inappropriate to gloat. Honestly I am disgusted by anyone who would still defend this. Think about the pre-facebook equivalent: having an LR t-shirt made? Announcing it over and over? Painting "ZOMG 4th CALLBACK!" on your garage? Stop trying to defend being a dick.



In the context of a significant number of your facebook friends facing a lifetime of loneliness and shitty relationship prospects, it is absolutely inappropriate to gloat about getting engaged.This about the pre-facebook equivalent: WEaring a large diamond ring? Putting a wedding announcement in the paper, sending out wedding invitations, shower invitations. Painting "Just Married" on the back of your car? Stop trying to defend being a dick.

Why yes, because engagements are clearly a zero-sum game. Hooray strawmen! I'm actually impressed with how illiterate the people defending assholery are pretending to be.



"I'm in law school, I have special feelings. I think I know what a straw man is."

What a bunch of babies. Guess what, you ain't special no more.

I pity you. Such a lack of confidence in your "argument" that you insist on failinh to articulate any coherent thought. At least mix in some logic with your ad hominems.
Last edited by zanda on Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
thesealocust
Posts: 8448
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Re: PSA: don't brag about law review or job shit on facebook

Postby thesealocust » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:39 pm

NZA wrote:
Z3RO wrote:Waah waah, buncha self-absorbed babies. This is exactly what Google+ circles are for. That way you can tell the people in your life who care about you things that you're excited about without some ever-child flying into an impotent rage across town.

I feel like you're missing the point.


Loudly, too!

God I love law students.

Z3RO
Posts: 526
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:57 am

Re: PSA: don't brag about law review or job shit on facebook

Postby Z3RO » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:40 pm

I probably am missing the point, because I stopped reading after I got near-terminal douche chills halfway down the first page.

cortknee
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:16 pm

Re: PSA: don't brag about law review or job shit on facebook

Postby cortknee » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:42 pm

Awesome when people want you to use logic when they are talking about their pansy feelings because they didn't get what they wanted.
Maybe now people will see how smart you are, not that you are just smarting from your spanking. Sorry you spent all that money pal. Why don't you all talk about logical fallacies and notice how many posts a person has, maybe then you will stop crying.

User avatar
swc65
Posts: 1003
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:27 am

Re: PSA: don't brag about law review or job shit on facebook

Postby swc65 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:42 pm

Z3RO wrote:Image

Has this been posted yet?

Waah waah, buncha self-absorbed babies. This is exactly what Google+ circles are for. That way you can tell the people in your life who care about you things that you're excited about without some ever-child flying into an impotent rage across town.



What's google+ circles? I'm old and don't get these new internets things.

User avatar
thesealocust
Posts: 8448
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Re: PSA: don't brag about law review or job shit on facebook

Postby thesealocust » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:43 pm

swc65 wrote:What's google+ circles? I'm old and don't get these new internets things.


It's a social network like facebook, but run by google, which is like 5 days old or something silly.

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: PSA: don't brag about law review or job shit on facebook

Postby IAFG » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:44 pm

thesealocust wrote:
NZA wrote:
Z3RO wrote:Waah waah, buncha self-absorbed babies. This is exactly what Google+ circles are for. That way you can tell the people in your life who care about you things that you're excited about without some ever-child flying into an impotent rage across town.

I feel like you're missing the point.


Loudly, too!

God I love law students.

Ok i am now on board with the White Plains Plan.

User avatar
Bronte
Posts: 2128
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:44 pm

Re: PSA: don't brag about law review or job shit on facebook

Postby Bronte » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:44 pm

cortknee wrote:Awesome when people want you to use logic when they are talking about their pansy feelings because they didn't get what they wanted.
Maybe now people will see how smart you are, not that you are just smarting from your spanking. Sorry you spent all that money pal. Why don't you all talk about logical fallacies and notice how many posts a person has, maybe then you will stop crying.


I think it's safe to say a lot of the posters in this thread did really well in law school. Modesty =/= failure in law school.

User avatar
swc65
Posts: 1003
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:27 am

Re: PSA: don't brag about law review or job shit on facebook

Postby swc65 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:45 pm

Everyone watch this

http://perezhilton.com/tv/Kids_Sprayed_ ... 5cdfcc1504


If you don't smile for hours, you have NO SOUL!

User avatar
Lawquacious
Posts: 2037
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:36 am

Re: PSA: don't brag about law review or job shit on facebook

Postby Lawquacious » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:45 pm

zanda wrote:
Lawquacious wrote:
zanda wrote:
Lawquacious wrote:
I take it you didn't make law review? :wink:

Actually I'm basically on board with this sentiment, but I am definitely a believer that people can post whatever the **** they want when using *their* own social media...

This feels as unpersuasive as when people argue that the First Amendment should prevent us from criticizing the content of others' speech.


Yes, because people often use the First Amendment to argue that free speech should be curtailed. :wink:

That's not what I said, but I admire your commitment to the illiteracy role. What people do is fail to see that the legal right to say something is different from the question of whether one ought to say something. Person A says something racist, Person B criticizes that speech, and Person C claims that Person B doesn't believe in the First Amendment. Being such a dumbass is almost as stupid as saying that something being within the confines of the Facebook TOS is the same question as whether one should post that thing on Facebook.


Well, you're just being harsh at this point. But interesting how critical you are of my position on this topic when you are arguably trying to defend people's right to take a critical position on what someone else says. And your reading and interpretation of my initial post took at least as much 'illiteracy' in terms of liberties and stretching it (to somehow tie in the First Amendment) as my comments. But we could go on like this ad infinitum. I respectfully bow out and bid you a good day.

User avatar
thesealocust
Posts: 8448
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Re: PSA: don't brag about law review or job shit on facebook

Postby thesealocust » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:45 pm

IAFG wrote:Ok i am now on board with the White Plains Plan.


YESSSS our misanthropic palace comes one step closer to reality

Z3RO
Posts: 526
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:57 am

Re: PSA: don't brag about law review or job shit on facebook

Postby Z3RO » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:47 pm

swc65 wrote:
Z3RO wrote:Image

Has this been posted yet?

Waah waah, buncha self-absorbed babies. This is exactly what Google+ circles are for. That way you can tell the people in your life who care about you things that you're excited about without some ever-child flying into an impotent rage across town.



What's google+ circles? I'm old and don't get these new internets things.

They're like friend "groups" that allow you to share certain information with only certain people. So you can tell Google+ to share your bar pics with your friends but not your coworkers, or your "Hey, this awesome thing happened in my career" excitement from your competitors.

User avatar
zanda
Posts: 526
Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:36 am

Re: PSA: don't brag about law review or job shit on facebook

Postby zanda » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:49 pm

Lawquacious wrote:
zanda wrote:
Lawquacious wrote:
zanda wrote:This feels as unpersuasive as when people argue that the First Amendment should prevent us from criticizing the content of others' speech.


Yes, because people often use the First Amendment to argue that free speech should be curtailed. :wink:

That's not what I said, but I admire your commitment to the illiteracy role. What people do is fail to see that the legal right to say something is different from the question of whether one ought to say something. Person A says something racist, Person B criticizes that speech, and Person C claims that Person B doesn't believe in the First Amendment. Being such a dumbass is almost as stupid as saying that something being within the confines of the Facebook TOS is the same question as whether one should post that thing on Facebook.


Well, you're just being harsh at this point. But interesting how critical you are of my position on this topic when you are arguably trying to defend people's right to take a critical position on what someone else says. And your reading and interpretation of my initial post took at least as much 'illiteracy' in terms of liberties and stretching it (to somehow tie in the First Amendment) as my comments. But we could go on like this ad infinitum. I respectfully bow out and bid you a good day.

You're right with the bolded. I bit on some of the trolls ITT and took it out on you. My b.

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: PSA: don't brag about law review or job shit on facebook

Postby IAFG » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:49 pm

thesealocust wrote:
IAFG wrote:Ok i am now on board with the White Plains Plan.


YESSSS our misanthropic palace comes one step closer to reality

We'll gather 'round the hearth and tell tales of douchebaggery and schadenfreude.

Z3RO
Posts: 526
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:57 am

Re: PSA: don't brag about law review or job shit on facebook

Postby Z3RO » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:51 pm

Don't hate. Participate or celebrate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mudita

User avatar
dresden doll
Posts: 6802
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:11 am

Re: PSA: don't brag about law review or job shit on facebook

Postby dresden doll » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:52 pm

Z3RO wrote:I probably am missing the point, because I stopped reading after I got near-terminal douche chills halfway down the first page.


You probably should just stop posting.
Last edited by dresden doll on Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
thesealocust
Posts: 8448
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Re: PSA: don't brag about law review or job shit on facebook

Postby thesealocust » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:53 pm

IAFG wrote:
thesealocust wrote:
IAFG wrote:Ok i am now on board with the White Plains Plan.


YESSSS our misanthropic palace comes one step closer to reality

We'll gather 'round the hearth and tell tales of douchebaggery and schadenfreude.


And we'll HAVE a hearth because...

(ok, no more dragging my wonderfully flamey thread off topic, since the topic is people making themselves look stupid and that's my favorite topic)

User avatar
Bronte
Posts: 2128
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:44 pm

Re: PSA: don't brag about law review or job shit on facebook

Postby Bronte » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:54 pm

thesealocust wrote:
IAFG wrote:
thesealocust wrote:
IAFG wrote:Ok i am now on board with the White Plains Plan.


YESSSS our misanthropic palace comes one step closer to reality

We'll gather 'round the hearth and tell tales of douchebaggery and schadenfreude.


And we'll HAVE a hearth because...

(ok, no more dragging my wonderfully flamey thread off topic, since the topic is people making themselves look stupid and that's my favorite topic)


You've been having great success with some ostensibly shitty topics. But you should really stop bragging about it, it's distasteful as fuck. But I'm happy for you I'm not jealous.

User avatar
thesealocust
Posts: 8448
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Re: PSA: don't brag about law review or job shit on facebook

Postby thesealocust » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:56 pm

Z3RO wrote:Don't hate. Participate or celebrate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mudita


You know what Buddha would not have done? I'll tell you what Buddha would not have done. He wouldn't have had 50,000 law students locked into a thunderdome battling in a zero-sum game with too little feedback to meaningfully improve over 30,000 jobs of which under a third are strongly desirable all while taking on 5 to 6 figures in non-dischargable debt.

He'd not do that, and you'd Mudita all over your pants at his wisdom.

User avatar
Lawquacious
Posts: 2037
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:36 am

Re: PSA: don't brag about law review or job shit on facebook

Postby Lawquacious » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:56 pm

zanda wrote:
Lawquacious wrote:
zanda wrote:That's not what I said, but I admire your commitment to the illiteracy role. What people do is fail to see that the legal right to say something is different from the question of whether one ought to say something. Person A says something racist, Person B criticizes that speech, and Person C claims that Person B doesn't believe in the First Amendment. Being such a dumbass is almost as stupid as saying that something being within the confines of the Facebook TOS is the same question as whether one should post that thing on Facebook.


Well, you're just being harsh at this point. But interesting how critical you are of my position on this topic when you are arguably trying to defend people's right to take a critical position on what someone else says. And your reading and interpretation of my initial post took at least as much 'illiteracy' in terms of liberties and stretching it (to somehow tie in the First Amendment) as my comments. But we could go on like this ad infinitum. I respectfully bow out and bid you a good day.

You're right with the bolded. I bit on some of the trolls ITT and took it out on you. My b.


That cool bro, appreciate it. Likewise, I'm kind of pissed about something else right now (got a parking invoice I already paid lol) and that's been coming out in my post, including some of my initial comments ITT.

User avatar
thesealocust
Posts: 8448
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Re: PSA: don't brag about law review or job shit on facebook

Postby thesealocust » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:56 pm

Bronte wrote:You've been having great success with some ostensibly shitty topics. But you should really stop bragging about it, it's distasteful as fuck. But I'm happy for you I'm not jealous.


:lol: well played

User avatar
Lawquacious
Posts: 2037
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:36 am

Re: PSA: don't brag about law review or job shit on facebook

Postby Lawquacious » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:57 pm

thesealocust wrote:
Z3RO wrote:Don't hate. Participate or celebrate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mudita


You know what Buddha would not have done? I'll tell you what Buddha would not have done. He wouldn't have had 50,000 law students locked into a thunderdome battling in a zero-sum game with too little feedback to meaningfully improve over 30,000 jobs of which under a third are strongly desirable all while taking on 5 to 6 figures in non-dischargable debt.

He'd not do that, and you'd Mudita all over your pants at his wisdom.


This post made this thread worth it. :lol:

Anonymous User
Posts: 273588
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: PSA: don't brag about law review or job shit on facebook

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:03 pm

Z3RO wrote:Don't hate. Participate or celebrate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mudita


http://www.buddhisma2z.com/content.php?id=269

This is what we are discussing.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.