PSA: don't brag about law review or job shit on facebook Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
zanda

Silver

Re: PSA: don't brag about law review or job shit on facebook

Post by zanda » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:38 pm

Lawquacious wrote:
zanda wrote:
Lawquacious wrote:
thesealocust wrote:Not because it will make you look unprofessional and douchey, but because I actually will find you and destroy you. I have agents everywhere.

Always. Watching.

I take it you didn't make law review? :wink:

Actually I'm basically on board with this sentiment, but I am definitely a believer that people can post whatever the **** they want when using *their* own social media...
This feels as unpersuasive as when people argue that the First Amendment should prevent us from criticizing the content of others' speech.
Yes, because people often use the First Amendment to argue that free speech should be curtailed. :wink:
That's not what I said, but I admire your commitment to the illiteracy role. What people do is fail to see that the legal right to say something is different from the question of whether one ought to say something. Person A says something racist, Person B criticizes that speech, and Person C claims that Person B doesn't believe in the First Amendment. Being such a dumbass is almost as stupid as saying that something being within the confines of the Facebook TOS is the same question as whether one should post that thing on Facebook.

NZA

Silver

Post by NZA » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:38 pm

Z3RO wrote:Waah waah, buncha self-absorbed babies. This is exactly what Google+ circles are for. That way you can tell the people in your life who care about you things that you're excited about without some ever-child flying into an impotent rage across town.
I feel like you're missing the point.

zanda

Silver

Post by zanda » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:39 pm

cortknee wrote:
zanda wrote:
cortknee wrote:
IAFG wrote:In the context of a significant number of your facebook friends facing crippling debt and dismal employment prospects, it's absolutely inappropriate to gloat. Honestly I am disgusted by anyone who would still defend this. Think about the pre-facebook equivalent: having an LR t-shirt made? Announcing it over and over? Painting "ZOMG 4th CALLBACK!" on your garage? Stop trying to defend being a dick.

In the context of a significant number of your facebook friends facing a lifetime of loneliness and shitty relationship prospects, it is absolutely inappropriate to gloat about getting engaged.This about the pre-facebook equivalent: WEaring a large diamond ring? Putting a wedding announcement in the paper, sending out wedding invitations, shower invitations. Painting "Just Married" on the back of your car? Stop trying to defend being a dick.
Why yes, because engagements are clearly a zero-sum game. Hooray strawmen! I'm actually impressed with how illiterate the people defending assholery are pretending to be.

"I'm in law school, I have special feelings. I think I know what a straw man is."

What a bunch of babies. Guess what, you ain't special no more.
I pity you. Such a lack of confidence in your "argument" that you insist on failinh to articulate any coherent thought. At least mix in some logic with your ad hominems.
Last edited by zanda on Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:39 pm

NZA wrote:
Z3RO wrote:Waah waah, buncha self-absorbed babies. This is exactly what Google+ circles are for. That way you can tell the people in your life who care about you things that you're excited about without some ever-child flying into an impotent rage across town.
Loudly, too!

God I love law students.

Z3RO

Silver

Post by Z3RO » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:40 pm

I probably am missing the point, because I stopped reading after I got near-terminal douche chills halfway down the first page.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cortknee

New

Post by cortknee » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:42 pm

Awesome when people want you to use logic when they are talking about their pansy feelings because they didn't get what they wanted.
Maybe now people will see how smart you are, not that you are just smarting from your spanking. Sorry you spent all that money pal. Why don't you all talk about logical fallacies and notice how many posts a person has, maybe then you will stop crying.

swc65

Silver

Post by swc65 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:42 pm

Z3RO wrote:Image

Has this been posted yet?

Waah waah, buncha self-absorbed babies. This is exactly what Google+ circles are for. That way you can tell the people in your life who care about you things that you're excited about without some ever-child flying into an impotent rage across town.

What's google+ circles? I'm old and don't get these new internets things.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:43 pm

swc65 wrote:What's google+ circles? I'm old and don't get these new internets things.
It's a social network like facebook, but run by google, which is like 5 days old or something silly.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:44 pm

thesealocust wrote:
NZA wrote:
Loudly, too!

God I love law students.
Ok i am now on board with the White Plains Plan.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:44 pm

cortknee wrote:Awesome when people want you to use logic when they are talking about their pansy feelings because they didn't get what they wanted.
Maybe now people will see how smart you are, not that you are just smarting from your spanking. Sorry you spent all that money pal. Why don't you all talk about logical fallacies and notice how many posts a person has, maybe then you will stop crying.
I think it's safe to say a lot of the posters in this thread did really well in law school. Modesty =/= failure in law school.

swc65

Silver

Post by swc65 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:45 pm

Everyone watch this

http://perezhilton.com/tv/Kids_Sprayed_ ... 5cdfcc1504

If you don't smile for hours, you have NO SOUL!

3ThrowAway99

Gold

Post by 3ThrowAway99 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:45 pm

zanda wrote:
Lawquacious wrote:
zanda wrote:
Lawquacious wrote:
I take it you didn't make law review? :wink:

Actually I'm basically on board with this sentiment, but I am definitely a believer that people can post whatever the **** they want when using *their* own social media...
This feels as unpersuasive as when people argue that the First Amendment should prevent us from criticizing the content of others' speech.
Yes, because people often use the First Amendment to argue that free speech should be curtailed. :wink:
That's not what I said, but I admire your commitment to the illiteracy role. What people do is fail to see that the legal right to say something is different from the question of whether one ought to say something. Person A says something racist, Person B criticizes that speech, and Person C claims that Person B doesn't believe in the First Amendment. Being such a dumbass is almost as stupid as saying that something being within the confines of the Facebook TOS is the same question as whether one should post that thing on Facebook.
Well, you're just being harsh at this point. But interesting how critical you are of my position on this topic when you are arguably trying to defend people's right to take a critical position on what someone else says. And your reading and interpretation of my initial post took at least as much 'illiteracy' in terms of liberties and stretching it (to somehow tie in the First Amendment) as my comments. But we could go on like this ad infinitum. I respectfully bow out and bid you a good day.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:45 pm

IAFG wrote:Ok i am now on board with the White Plains Plan.
YESSSS our misanthropic palace comes one step closer to reality

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Z3RO

Silver

Post by Z3RO » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:47 pm

swc65 wrote:
Z3RO wrote:Image

Has this been posted yet?

Waah waah, buncha self-absorbed babies. This is exactly what Google+ circles are for. That way you can tell the people in your life who care about you things that you're excited about without some ever-child flying into an impotent rage across town.

What's google+ circles? I'm old and don't get these new internets things.
They're like friend "groups" that allow you to share certain information with only certain people. So you can tell Google+ to share your bar pics with your friends but not your coworkers, or your "Hey, this awesome thing happened in my career" excitement from your competitors.

zanda

Silver

Post by zanda » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:49 pm

Lawquacious wrote:
zanda wrote:
Lawquacious wrote:
zanda wrote: This feels as unpersuasive as when people argue that the First Amendment should prevent us from criticizing the content of others' speech.
Well, you're just being harsh at this point. But interesting how critical you are of my position on this topic when you are arguably trying to defend people's right to take a critical position on what someone else says. And your reading and interpretation of my initial post took at least as much 'illiteracy' in terms of liberties and stretching it (to somehow tie in the First Amendment) as my comments. But we could go on like this ad infinitum. I respectfully bow out and bid you a good day.
You're right with the bolded. I bit on some of the trolls ITT and took it out on you. My b.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:49 pm

thesealocust wrote:
We'll gather 'round the hearth and tell tales of douchebaggery and schadenfreude.

Z3RO

Silver

Post by Z3RO » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:51 pm

Don't hate. Participate or celebrate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mudita

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:52 pm

Z3RO wrote:I probably am missing the point, because I stopped reading after I got near-terminal douche chills halfway down the first page.
You probably should just stop posting.
Last edited by dresden doll on Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:53 pm

IAFG wrote:
thesealocust wrote:
We'll gather 'round the hearth and tell tales of douchebaggery and schadenfreude.
And we'll HAVE a hearth because...

(ok, no more dragging my wonderfully flamey thread off topic, since the topic is people making themselves look stupid and that's my favorite topic)

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:54 pm

thesealocust wrote:
IAFG wrote:
thesealocust wrote:
And we'll HAVE a hearth because...

(ok, no more dragging my wonderfully flamey thread off topic, since the topic is people making themselves look stupid and that's my favorite topic)
You've been having great success with some ostensibly shitty topics. But you should really stop bragging about it, it's distasteful as fuck. But I'm happy for you I'm not jealous.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:56 pm

Z3RO wrote:Don't hate. Participate or celebrate.

You know what Buddha would not have done? I'll tell you what Buddha would not have done. He wouldn't have had 50,000 law students locked into a thunderdome battling in a zero-sum game with too little feedback to meaningfully improve over 30,000 jobs of which under a third are strongly desirable all while taking on 5 to 6 figures in non-dischargable debt.

He'd not do that, and you'd Mudita all over your pants at his wisdom.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

3ThrowAway99

Gold

Post by 3ThrowAway99 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:56 pm

zanda wrote:
Lawquacious wrote:
zanda wrote: That's not what I said, but I admire your commitment to the illiteracy role. What people do is fail to see that the legal right to say something is different from the question of whether one ought to say something. Person A says something racist, Person B criticizes that speech, and Person C claims that Person B doesn't believe in the First Amendment. Being such a dumbass is almost as stupid as saying that something being within the confines of the Facebook TOS is the same question as whether one should post that thing on Facebook.
You're right with the bolded. I bit on some of the trolls ITT and took it out on you. My b.
That cool bro, appreciate it. Likewise, I'm kind of pissed about something else right now (got a parking invoice I already paid lol) and that's been coming out in my post, including some of my initial comments ITT.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:56 pm

Bronte wrote:You've been having great success with some ostensibly shitty topics. But you should really stop bragging about it, it's distasteful as fuck. But I'm happy for you I'm not jealous.
:lol: well played

3ThrowAway99

Gold

Post by 3ThrowAway99 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:57 pm

thesealocust wrote:

You know what Buddha would not have done? I'll tell you what Buddha would not have done. He wouldn't have had 50,000 law students locked into a thunderdome battling in a zero-sum game with too little feedback to meaningfully improve over 30,000 jobs of which under a third are strongly desirable all while taking on 5 to 6 figures in non-dischargable debt.

He'd not do that, and you'd Mudita all over your pants at his wisdom.
This post made this thread worth it. :lol:

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:03 pm

http://www.buddhisma2z.com/content.php?id=269

This is what we are discussing.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”