PSA: don't brag about law review or job shit on facebook

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
thesealocust
Posts: 8448
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:50 pm

PSA: don't brag about law review or job shit on facebook

Postby thesealocust » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:28 pm

Not because it will make you look unprofessional and douchey, but because I actually will find you and destroy you. I have agents everywhere.

Always. Watching.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18425
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: PSA: don't brag about law review or job shit on facebook

Postby bk1 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:36 pm

What about MySpace and LinkedIn?

User avatar
thesealocust
Posts: 8448
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Re: PSA: don't brag about law review or job shit on facebook

Postby thesealocust » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:38 pm

bk1 wrote:What about MySpace and LinkedIn?


Don't have either, so you at least won't have anything to fear from me.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18425
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: PSA: don't brag about law review or job shit on facebook

Postby bk1 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:39 pm

thesealocust wrote:Don't have either, so you at least won't have anything to fear from me.


I feel safer already.

User avatar
NZA
Posts: 1285
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:01 pm

Re: PSA: don't brag about law review or job shit on facebook

Postby NZA » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:40 pm

Is facebook that thing that existed before Google+?

User avatar
thesealocust
Posts: 8448
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Re: PSA: don't brag about law review or job shit on facebook

Postby thesealocust » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:43 pm

NZA wrote:Is facebook that thing that existed before Google+?


Too soon to say. It'd be nice though.

User avatar
Cavalier
Posts: 1994
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:13 pm

Re: PSA: don't brag about law review or job shit on facebook

Postby Cavalier » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:45 pm

Wow, that sounds really douchey. What kind of person does that?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273588
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: PSA: don't brag about law review or job shit on facebook

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:48 pm

What if I get a family member to post "CONGRATULATIONS ON MAKING LAW REVIEW" on my facebook wall? Serious about this by the way

User avatar
thesealocust
Posts: 8448
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Re: PSA: don't brag about law review or job shit on facebook

Postby thesealocust » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What if I get a family member to post "CONGRATULATIONS ON MAKING LAW REVIEW" on my facebook wall? Serious about this by the way


Delete it, explain to them the sensitivities of the situation, and move on?

User avatar
Cavalier
Posts: 1994
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:13 pm

Re: PSA: don't brag about law review or job shit on facebook

Postby Cavalier » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What if I get a family member to post "CONGRATULATIONS ON MAKING LAW REVIEW" on my facebook wall? Serious about this by the way

Like it and comment underneath it "Thanks, Mom! I'm still in shock myself--I never would have thought I'd be amongst the best and brightest of my classmates."

Anonymous User
Posts: 273588
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: PSA: don't brag about law review or job shit on facebook

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:52 pm

thesealocust wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:What if I get a family member to post "CONGRATULATIONS ON MAKING LAW REVIEW" on my facebook wall? Serious about this by the way


Delete it, explain to them the sensitivities of the situation, and move on?


damnit



ok

User avatar
thesealocust
Posts: 8448
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Re: PSA: don't brag about law review or job shit on facebook

Postby thesealocust » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:55 pm

I mean you really don't have to, people won't hold it against you the same way, but that's what I would do. This thread wasn't meant to seriously discuss the nuance of the situation beyond "PUSSY CAT SAYS: DON'T SAY THINGS THAT WILL HURT OTHERS, LIKE: ISN'T THAT HIPPO FAT? OR: HYENA, I HATE YOU."

Anonymous User
Posts: 273588
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: PSA: don't brag about law review or job shit on facebook

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:56 pm

Cavalier wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:What if I get a family member to post "CONGRATULATIONS ON MAKING LAW REVIEW" on my facebook wall? Serious about this by the way

Like it and comment underneath it "Thanks, Mom! I'm still in shock myself--I never would have thought I'd be amongst the best and brightest of my classmates."


Seems a little over the top. I want people to know that I made it on but I don't want my classmates to think I'm a douche. How about "liking" the Facebook page of the school's law review?

User avatar
thesealocust
Posts: 8448
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Re: PSA: don't brag about law review or job shit on facebook

Postby thesealocust » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Cavalier wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:What if I get a family member to post "CONGRATULATIONS ON MAKING LAW REVIEW" on my facebook wall? Serious about this by the way

Like it and comment underneath it "Thanks, Mom! I'm still in shock myself--I never would have thought I'd be amongst the best and brightest of my classmates."


Seems a little over the top. I want people to know that I made it on but I don't want my classmates to think I'm a douche. How about "liking" the Facebook page of the school's law review?


* twitches violently *

User avatar
Cavalier
Posts: 1994
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:13 pm

Re: PSA: don't brag about law review or job shit on facebook

Postby Cavalier » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Cavalier wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:What if I get a family member to post "CONGRATULATIONS ON MAKING LAW REVIEW" on my facebook wall? Serious about this by the way

Like it and comment underneath it "Thanks, Mom! I'm still in shock myself--I never would have thought I'd be amongst the best and brightest of my classmates."

Seems a little over the top. I want people to know that I made it on but I don't want my classmates to think I'm a douche. How about "liking" the Facebook page of the school's law review?

Nah, it's not over the top at all. Your classmates will all be very proud of you for making it and will be happy to see that you're so thrilled.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273588
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: PSA: don't brag about law review or job shit on facebook

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:06 pm

Cavalier wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Cavalier wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:What if I get a family member to post "CONGRATULATIONS ON MAKING LAW REVIEW" on my facebook wall? Serious about this by the way

Like it and comment underneath it "Thanks, Mom! I'm still in shock myself--I never would have thought I'd be amongst the best and brightest of my classmates."

Seems a little over the top. I want people to know that I made it on but I don't want my classmates to think I'm a douche. How about "liking" the Facebook page of the school's law review?

Nah, it's not over the top at all. Your classmates will all be very proud of you for making it and will be happy to see that you're so thrilled.


I would be happy for them if they got onto law review (unfortunately almost none of my friends did, so I guess we can't really test to see if that's the case or not but still)

theantiscalia
Posts: 320
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:18 pm

Re: PSA: don't brag about law review or job shit on facebook

Postby theantiscalia » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:12 pm

Please rank the following approaches from best to worst... in terms of douchiness.

(For the record, I'm not advocating any of these. If I'm lucky enough, I'll just keep my mouth shut and wait for the masthead to come out. This is only in jest.)

1. Posting a humble brag on FB. ("Can't believe I made law review with that awful note!")
2. Having a banner flown over the law school.
3. Having a LAWREVW license plate made.
4. Adding to Facebook a picture of you standing in front of the law review office, pointing at the name plate a la Private England at Abu Gharaib.
5. Having "[Insert Your Name] Made Law Review" written in smoke letters above the law school.
6. Changing your Facebook profile to a picture that simply says "Law Review Member."
7. Hiring a barbershop quartet to sing it in the student commons.
8. Using the class listserv to announce it.
9. Updating your G-Chat status to a humble brag.
10. Changing your email signature to include "[Insert School Name] Law Review, Member" and then emailing all of your friends about random crap.

User avatar
thesealocust
Posts: 8448
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Re: PSA: don't brag about law review or job shit on facebook

Postby thesealocust » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:14 pm

theantiscalia wrote:Please rank the following approaches from best to worst... in terms of douchiness.

(For the record, I'm not advocating any of these. If I'm lucky enough, I'll just keep my mouth shut and wait for the masthead to come out. This is only in jest.)

1. Posting a humble brag on FB. ("Can't believe I made law review with that awful note!")
2. Having a banner flown over the law school.
3. Having a LAWREVW license plate made.
4. Adding to Facebook a picture of you standing in front of the law review office, pointing at the name plate a la Private England at Abu Gharaib.
5. Having "[Insert Your Name] Made Law Review" written in smoke letters above the law school.
6. Changing your Facebook profile to a picture that simply says "Law Review Member."
7. Hiring a barbershop quartet to sing it in the student commons.
8. Using the class listserv to announce it.
9. Updating your G-Chat status to a humble brag.
10. Changing your email signature to include "[Insert School Name] Law Review, Member" and then emailing all of your friends about random crap.


I'll respond to this after I stop throwing up in my mouth and desperately slamming my fists on the ground, crying, and wondering why the world has so much spite for me that it keeps existing day in and day out.

User avatar
wiseowl
Posts: 1071
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:38 pm

Re: PSA: don't brag about law review or job shit on facebook

Postby wiseowl » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:18 pm

bk1 wrote:What about MySpace and LinkedIn?


Justin Timberlake will find you and destroy you

User avatar
stratocophic
Posts: 2207
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:24 pm

Re: PSA: don't brag about law review or job shit on facebook

Postby stratocophic » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:24 pm

Just make this your profile picture, NO ONE WILL NO

Image

User avatar
Bronte
Posts: 2128
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:44 pm

Re: PSA: don't brag about law review or job shit on facebook

Postby Bronte » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:27 pm

There was an ATL post a few months back about a guy that posted his first semester grades on FB. Literally something like:

Torts: A
Contracts: A
Property: A
Legal Writing: A
Crim: B+

That's probably worse that posting that you go onto law review. But pretty much posting anything on FB about law school sucks.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273588
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: PSA: don't brag about law review or job shit on facebook

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:31 pm

Bronte wrote:There was an ATL post a few months back about a guy that posted his first semester grades on FB. Literally something like:

Torts: A
Contracts: A
Property: A
Legal Writing: A
Crim: B+

That's probably worse that posting that you go onto law review. But pretty much posting anything on FB about law school sucks.


We had fucktards galore doing this at my school. Giving their exact GPA, the fact that they retained their scholarship (when others obvz hadn't), job offers during 1L oci (the two people who did this even included the weekly $ amount of the position- and they were both around median and had quite obviously received the offer through minority interview programs).

User avatar
IzziesGal
Posts: 764
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:11 pm

Re: PSA: don't brag about law review or job shit on facebook

Postby IzziesGal » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:33 pm

thesealocust wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:What if I get a family member to post "CONGRATULATIONS ON MAKING LAW REVIEW" on my facebook wall? Serious about this by the way


Delete it, explain to them the sensitivities of the situation, and move on?


This is ridiculous. If someone is offended by a person's family member congratulating him on an accomplishment, then that person seriously needs to grow a MUCH thicker skin if he is going to survive in this profession.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273588
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: PSA: don't brag about law review or job shit on facebook

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:34 pm

Random question: at what point is it socially appropriate to list your summer internship? When you start? When you get an offer? When you return post law school? NEVER?

User avatar
IzziesGal
Posts: 764
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:11 pm

Re: PSA: don't brag about law review or job shit on facebook

Postby IzziesGal » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Random question: at what point is it socially appropriate to list your summer internship? When you start? When you get an offer? When you return post law school? NEVER?


Nevermind. Reading comp fail.
Last edited by IzziesGal on Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.