Columbia Journals

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273182
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Columbia Journals

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:...no emails/calls from any journals still.

What happens if we don't get into any journals?

Apparently last year there were spots open after the initial round that people were allowed to apply for.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273182
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Columbia Journals

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:32 pm

Seems like very few journals have sent out emails yet? I still haven't heard anything

Anonymous User
Posts: 273182
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Columbia Journals

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Seems like very few journals have sent out emails yet? I still haven't heard anything


I have heard that JLSP, and JGL have gone out in addition to STLR and JTL

Anonymous User
Posts: 273182
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Columbia Journals

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Seems like very few journals have sent out emails yet? I still haven't heard anything


I have heard that JLSP, and JGL have gone out in addition to STLR and JTL


Damn really? I had a couple of those higher up on my list.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273182
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Columbia Journals

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Seems like very few journals have sent out emails yet? I still haven't heard anything


I have heard that JLSP, and JGL have gone out in addition to STLR and JTL


Damn really? I had a couple of those higher up on my list.


I have 1 journal that hasn't sent out notice yet

Anonymous User
Posts: 273182
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Columbia Journals

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Seems like very few journals have sent out emails yet? I still haven't heard anything


I have heard that JLSP, and JGL have gone out in addition to STLR and JTL


Someone posted on Facebook about a call from HRLR. Don't know how many other journals, if any, are making calls.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273182
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Columbia Journals

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:19 pm

JLA made calls today

Anonymous User
Posts: 273182
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Columbia Journals

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:52 pm

Are people putting their journal on their resume for EIP purposes?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273182
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Columbia Journals

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Are people putting their journal on their resume for EIP purposes?


Yes...

and still haven't heard back lol.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273182
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Columbia Journals

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:12 pm

Yup, you should put your Journal on your résumé for EIP. I should be the first thing under/beside "Activities" and should be put in italics. You can look at the OCS résumés for examples.

As far as notices go, I don't have anything to add other than that the above information seems accurate to me. Good luck to those still waiting. I hope you get the one you want!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273182
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Columbia Journals

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:37 pm

If you don't make Law Review just remember--

Preet Bharara, CLS '93, makes CLR, becomes U.S. Attorney for S.D.N.Y. His younger brother, Vinit Bharara, CLS '96, however, does not make CLR. He goes on to sell the online business he co-founded to Amazon.com for $540 million in cash. So what's the lesson here? I ballpark the value of getting onto the Columbia Law Review as roughly -$540 million. [h/t http://www.law.columbia.edu/magazine/62289/family-ties]

I also missed CLR. And thank God I did! Making CLR would have required me to withdraw my transfer application to another T14, where I got to serve on that school's Law Journal instead, and I had a wonderful time there.

So... as far as I can tell, the CLR write-on process is completely perverse and random.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273182
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Columbia Journals

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If you don't make Law Review just remember--

Preet Bharara, CLS '93, makes CLR, becomes U.S. Attorney for S.D.N.Y. His younger brother, Vinit Bharara, CLS '96, however, does not make CLR. He goes on to sell the online business he co-founded to Amazon.com for $540 million in cash. So what's the lesson here? I ballpark the value of getting onto the Columbia Law Review as roughly -$540 million. [h/t http://www.law.columbia.edu/magazine/62289/family-ties]

I also missed CLR. And thank God I did! Making CLR would have required me to withdraw my transfer application to another T14, where I got to serve on that school's Law Journal instead, and I had a wonderful time there.

So... as far as I can tell, the CLR write-on process is completely perverse and random.


:lol: This really made me chuckle. Thank you for that.

Seriously though, congrats to everyone who made CLR, and congrats to everyone who didn't.

Let's all be excellent and get jobs!

-Ted "Theodore" Logan

ETA: and good luck with your transfer!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273182
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Columbia Journals

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:35 am

CBLR emails also went out




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.