Columbia Journals

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Columbia Journals

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:41 pm

JLA calls are going out now.

law1931

Postby law1931 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:43 pm

i heard CBLR is out

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:47 pm

calls or emails for CBLR?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:51 pm

Got an Email from CBLR which told me to expect a call. I ranked JLA higher, I thought JLA would be easier to get than CBLR.

Are we stuck with the first journal that accepts us?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Got an Email from CBLR. I ranked JLA higher, I thought JLA would be easier to get than CBLR.

personalized email, or was it a mass email to everyone who got on? just asking so i can cross CBLR off my list if it's a mass email. I also thought JLA would be easier to get than CBLR...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:56 pm

I think it was a mass mail, recipients were bcc'd.

Anonymous User

this is a mass email... but its worded vaguely so I dunno if it's only to people who got on or to everyone that applied.

did anyone NOT get it??

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Got an Email from CBLR. I ranked JLA higher, I thought JLA would be easier to get than CBLR.

personalized email, or was it a mass email to everyone who got on? just asking so i can cross CBLR off my list if it's a mass email. I also thought JLA would be easier to get than CBLR...

Anonymous User

transnational law is out, as well

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:this is a mass email... but its worded vaguely so I dunno if it's only to people who got on or to everyone that applied.

did anyone NOT get it??

Anonymous User wrote:

I applied to CBLR & didn't get the email. oh well, guess that one's out. I ranked JLA lower than CBLR so I also doubt I got that one if it's more selective than CBLR.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:this is a mass email... but its worded vaguely so I dunno if it's only to people who got on or to everyone that applied.

did anyone NOT get it??

Anonymous User wrote:

I applied to CBLR & didn't get the email. oh well, guess that one's out. I ranked JLA lower than CBLR so I also doubt I got that one if it's more selective than CBLR.

Anyone know what the criteria for CBLR was? Was it more heavy on grades or on proper bluebooking?

Also, congrats to all who made a journal!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone know what the criteria for CBLR was? Was it more heavy on grades or on proper bluebooking?

my impression from a conversation I had with a 3L on CBLR was that it's more grades-heavy. so it's not surprising to me that I didn't get accepted because my grades are pretty median-ish (and I think I did a good job of bluebooking in my writing sample, so I wouldn't expect to get dinged based on that).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:28 pm

did anyone NOT get it??

Anonymous User wrote:

I ranked JLA higher than CBLR and somehow got CBLR! Weirdness. I am happy with it though. I have spent this summer doing mostly corp. nad I really like it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:32 pm

Quick question and I'll GTFO: do you know of people in your class that have gotten on the "reserve group"? Is it reasonable to hold on to it?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:01 pm

well it's now 6 pm EST, so I'm guessing if I haven't gotten an offer at this point I'm one of the lucky unmatched people. has anyone gotten the email from ilene yet, or does it look like we'll be waiting for awhile yet?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:03 pm

Has anyone heard from Journal of Race and Law or Journal of Law and Social problems?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Got an Email from CBLR which told me to expect a call. I ranked JLA higher, I thought JLA would be easier to get than CBLR.

I still have not gotten the call that was referenced in the the email that I received from CBLR. It is 20 'til 7. LoL

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Got an Email from CBLR which told me to expect a call. I ranked JLA higher, I thought JLA would be easier to get than CBLR.

I still have not gotten the call that was referenced in the the email that I received from CBLR. It is 20 'til 7. LoL

Nor have I. You think CBLR will be a positive bump during interviews? Or won't make much difference next to grades?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:47 pm

I think we only get an offer from one journal, & if we choose not to take it but still want a journal, we have to pick from the ones that still have open spots after today.

Also, I'm the opposite of you--I ranked CBLR higher than JLA & ended up getting JLA. Both were high on my list, so I'm definitely happy with what I got, but it makes me think that our preferences don't really play into the whole process as much as we might think.

Anonymous User wrote: Nor have I. You think CBLR will be a positive bump during interviews? Or won't make much difference next to grades?

I've heard that if you're not on LR, it basically doesn't matter what secondary journal you're on because they're all roughly equal. That said, CBLR could be a good way of showing firms your interest in a particular field if that's the field you want to ultimately enter (corp, M&A and the like).
Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Here's hoping we're on it together come this afternoon.

same! :)

Also, did anyone see the email Ilene Strauss just sent? "Some students may not be matched during the first round of the application process"....makes me nervous.

I heard that last year journals were still looking for people into the first week or two of the semester. If you're not on LR, then just being on a journal will suffice. There's no reason to stress about secondary journals. If you want one, you will get one, even if it's not today.

Thanks. Do you know which journals are usually still open for spots after today? I thought Gender might be one since they take 1Ls. Any others?

Just FYI, they didn't do this matching system last year - students would be accepted into multiple journals, would have about a week to choose which one they wanted to work on, and then the declined journals would send out a second wave of acceptances. This year it's totally different with the matching system. I have no idea how people wouldn't "match," and if they didn't match, how they would get onto presumably-full journals, but meh, I guess it happens?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:50 pm

I haven't got the call either.

Edit: The CBLR call promised in the email, that is.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just FYI, they didn't do this matching system last year - students would be accepted into multiple journals, would have about a week to choose which one they wanted to work on, and then the declined journals would send out a second wave of acceptances. This year it's totally different with the matching system. I have no idea how people wouldn't "match," and if they didn't match, how they would get onto presumably-full journals, but meh, I guess it happens?

maybe the matching system is a way to ensure that the journals are more evenly filled than previous years? since people know they're not going to get multiple offers, maybe they'd be more inclined to take the one they did get, even if it is for a less "prestigious" secondary (not that i think it really matters which one you get in the long run), so those journals end up with fewer vacancies than before.

strauss's email did say that there were still journal opportunities available, so maybe some journals got way fewer apps than others or ended up not having enough "matching" candidates to fill their rosters.

edit: also...am i alone in thinking this whole process could have been done better? i think a lot of people weren't clear on whether or not they'd be getting an acceptance to one or multiple journals, which could have been easily clarified. it was also stressful for the people who received acceptances late in the day to see that people had been getting accepted since 10 am. imo, they should all notify by email so the acceptances can get out earlier in the day instead of having to wait for EIC's to get home from work & make calls. i appreciate the personal touch, but it seems like email would be easier for all concerned...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
edit: also...am i alone in thinking this whole process could have been done better? i think a lot of people weren't clear on whether or not they'd be getting an acceptance to one or multiple journals, which could have been easily clarified. it was also stressful for the people who received acceptances late in the day to see that people had been getting accepted since 10 am. imo, they should all notify by email so the acceptances can get out earlier in the day instead of having to wait for EIC's to get home from work & make calls. i appreciate the personal touch, but it seems like email would be easier for all concerned...

SERIOUSLY. This plus the delay? I just don't understand why they can't email out and follow up with a congratulatory phone call.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:53 pm

Has anyone gotten the email that they haven't made any journals?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I haven't got the call either.

Edit: The CBLR call promised in the email, that is.

'

Yeah! Wtf? Still no call! They should have just sent the email or something.

MTC87

Postby MTC87 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:33 pm

Why wasn't there this much spazzing out last Friday, when calls for Law Review were going out?

Return to “Legal Employment”