SA/Offer question

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
dragnfli
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:09 am

SA/Offer question

Postby dragnfli » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:51 am

If one is lucky enough to attain a 2L SA position with a firm that has multiple offices, does the subsequent offer (if made) usually only apply for that specific office? Is it possible to transfer to a different office within a firm in case you don't like the city? I ask because, for example, a city like NY just depends on your personal lifestyle.. and if you have never lived there before, it would be difficult to know whether or not you would like it there. Accepting a 2L SA there.. and then getting an offer after you discover you hate NY would definitely suck.

dragnfli
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:09 am

Re: SA/Offer question

Postby dragnfli » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:22 pm

Anyone?? Also, is wanting to transfer to another office of the same firm considered a lateral move? Or is it different because it's internal?

NotMyRealName09
Posts: 1394
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:50 pm

Re: SA/Offer question

Postby NotMyRealName09 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:50 pm

When a lot of people post on here about the difficulty of even landing interviews for jobs, your whole "poor me if I hate NY and that is where they place me" question does not garner sympathy.

Firm offices hire based on need. If they assign you to NY, and you work as a summer associate there, that is probably where your offer will be, because the partners in that office have a need for associates. If you want to work in a different office, there may not be work for you in that office, not to mention you won't know anyone there like you would following working as a summer associate in NY. If you don't like NY, don't take the offer, or don't apply to firms there. And if you get a post-SA offer in NY and don't like NY, just suck it up, because you're lucky to have a job at all.

dragnfli
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:09 am

Re: SA/Offer question

Postby dragnfli » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:15 pm

NotMyRealName09 wrote:When a lot of people post on here about the difficulty of even landing interviews for jobs, your whole "poor me if I hate NY and that is where they place me" question does not garner sympathy.

Firm offices hire based on need. If they assign you to NY, and you work as a summer associate there, that is probably where your offer will be, because the partners in that office have a need for associates. If you want to work in a different office, there may not be work for you in that office, not to mention you won't know anyone there like you would following working as a summer associate in NY. If you don't like NY, don't take the offer, or don't apply to firms there. And if you get a post-SA offer in NY and don't like NY, just suck it up, because you're lucky to have a job at all.


I wasn't on here looking for your sympathy. You can keep that to yourself. I was just asking a question and hoping for insight.

I never said I had an offer from anywhere. I was just thinking about where to bid in the fall and was wondering if I could start at an office that takes more associates and move to a more desirable office in case I didn't like where I was. But please, do continue to make baseless assumptions. It's really helpful.

dragnfli
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:09 am

Re: SA/Offer question

Postby dragnfli » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:16 pm

G. T. L. Rev. wrote:The offer generally comes from that specific office. You might be able to xfer within the firm, but should never plan on it, as some firms won't let you do it.



Thanks for the response. i figured it would be difficult or not possible, but I had read of people not liking the location where they work and TLS'ers advised them to try for another office within the firm.

I guess it would be best to bid on offices you definitely know you'll like.

User avatar
paratactical
Posts: 5961
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:06 pm

Re: SA/Offer question

Postby paratactical » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:21 pm

At the NYC biglaw firm I worked in, people did transfer to different offices occasionally, but it almost only happened after they had worked there for more than 3 years and if they had a compelling reason to move (ie ailing older relatives near other office need care; spouse got an amazing job with a substantial raise near another office) and never just a general distaste for NYC.

Rule11
Posts: 160
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:25 pm

Re: SA/Offer question

Postby Rule11 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:40 pm

1. It depends on the firm.
2. Generally you interview for a specific office, and your offer comes from that office.
3. Most people I know (only two or three, so YMMV) who have tried this have had to re-interview at the new office they wanted. I know of the request being accommodated at least once, and denied at least once.

Rule11
Posts: 160
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:25 pm

Re: SA/Offer question

Postby Rule11 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:45 pm

paratactical wrote:At the NYC biglaw firm I worked in, people did transfer to different offices occasionally, but it almost only happened after they had worked there for more than 3 years and if they had a compelling reason to move (ie ailing older relatives near other office need care; spouse got an amazing job with a substantial raise near another office) and never just a general distaste for NYC.


I don't know when you were there, or where you were, but I don't think this paints an accurate picture. Once you're in, the main factor is not how compelling your needs are, but rather the firm's needs. If you're trying to go to certain Asian offices, you'll have a good shot. If you're trying to go to your firm's SF office, maybe not so much.

dragnfli
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:09 am

Re: SA/Offer question

Postby dragnfli » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:47 pm

I was only using NYC as an example. I wasn't specifically talking about NYC, though. Thanks for all the responses guys. Definitely very helpful!

User avatar
paratactical
Posts: 5961
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:06 pm

Re: SA/Offer question

Postby paratactical » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:48 pm

Rule11 wrote:
paratactical wrote:At the NYC biglaw firm I worked in, people did transfer to different offices occasionally, but it almost only happened after they had worked there for more than 3 years and if they had a compelling reason to move (ie ailing older relatives near other office need care; spouse got an amazing job with a substantial raise near another office) and never just a general distaste for NYC.


I don't know when you were there, or where you were, but I don't think this paints an accurate picture. Once you're in, the main factor is not how compelling your needs are, but rather the firm's needs. If you're trying to go to certain Asian offices, you'll have a good shot. If you're trying to go to your firm's SF office, maybe not so much.

I was there from 2006-2010. I didn't mean to imply that having personal compelling needs was sufficient to get you a transfer to a SF office or the like, but merely that they seemed to be very necessary. IME, the people who went to places like Asia or Europe or American offices that needed assistance in establishing a presence were picked by the firm, not requested by the individual attorneys.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.