Wrote on to law review - how much bump at OCI (if any)?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Wrote on to law review - how much bump at OCI (if any)?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:23 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I would think it helps but not enough to change your bidding strategy much considering you are below median.

2nd anon here (the one who posted earlier today, not a year ago) i'm slightly above median--probably top 40-35%--at a t14.

I think, like thesealocust said, it will help you get more offers/cbs from the firms at your GPA range, but not really boost you into a new range of firms.

For example, firms like S&C, DPW, Cleary, Debevoise, are all still a super reach. Being on LR won't help much with your grades for these firms.

But this is just speculation.

what about firms that are like .2 or so above my gpa but not as selective as the firms mentioned above? is it worth bidding on a few more of these firms mixed in with the firms right at my gpa since i'm on LR?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:52 am

I'm the OP for this thread - I saw it get bumped a year later, and wanted to update anecdotally based on my experience. Again, I was sub-median at my T14 and wrote on to LR. I also had a couple of years of substantial work experience. Needless to say, I was immensely nervous before OCI, particularly because DC was one of my target markets.

In the end, it went better than I ever expected - I wound up with four offers from market-paying firms (several in DC), as well as a boutique focusing on a practice area I was interested in. (Writing this post from my desk at one of those firms now, actually). My GPA was enough to ding me at screener stage for the most selective DC-based firms (Wilmer, A&P, Covington, Hogan, etc), but I did pretty well with callbacks and offers from firms that had satellite offices here.

Happy to take questions about how to spin low grades in interviews, or any other questions for this year's low-GPA LR write-ons out there.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:02 am

Why not just share your advice regarding how to spin low grades during interviews ? Thanks !

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm the OP for this thread - I saw it get bumped a year later, and wanted to update anecdotally based on my experience. Again, I was sub-median at my T14 and wrote on to LR. I also had a couple of years of substantial work experience. Needless to say, I was immensely nervous before OCI, particularly because DC was one of my target markets.

In the end, it went better than I ever expected - I wound up with four offers from market-paying firms (several in DC), as well as a boutique focusing on a practice area I was interested in. (Writing this post from my desk at one of those firms now, actually). My GPA was enough to ding me at screener stage for the most selective DC-based firms (Wilmer, A&P, Covington, Hogan, etc), but I did pretty well with callbacks and offers from firms that had satellite offices here.

Happy to take questions about how to spin low grades in interviews, or any other questions for this year's low-GPA LR write-ons out there.

thanks for the anecdotal evidence that LR will (hopefully) be worth it at OCI! were you asked about LR often in interviews and did any interviewers mention that you clearly wrote on as opposed to graded on?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm the OP for this thread - I saw it get bumped a year later, and wanted to update anecdotally based on my experience. Again, I was sub-median at my T14 and wrote on to LR. I also had a couple of years of substantial work experience. Needless to say, I was immensely nervous before OCI, particularly because DC was one of my target markets.

What kind of WE did you have? Grats on doing so well.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I would think it helps but not enough to change your bidding strategy much considering you are below median.

2nd anon here (the one who posted earlier today, not a year ago) i'm slightly above median--probably top 40-35%--at a t14.

I think, like thesealocust said, it will help you get more offers/cbs from the firms at your GPA range, but not really boost you into a new range of firms.

For example, firms like S&C, DPW, Cleary, Debevoise, are all still a super reach. Being on LR won't help much with your grades for these firms.

But this is just speculation.

what about firms that are like .2 or so above my gpa but not as selective as the firms mentioned above? is it worth bidding on a few more of these firms mixed in with the firms right at my gpa since i'm on LR?

It probably is because LR makes getting cb/offers from your target firms more likely. This means you can free up more spots for reach firms.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:41 pm

Disagree with most in this thread. After 1L was LR T30 with medianish grades (slightly higher) and greatly outperformed friends with much better grades and no journal, and did better than people with better grades + some journal. I think no journal is a bigger detractor than LR is a boost, but its a boost nonetheless.

Bid broadly, I was all over the place. I got rejected from firms where people top 1/3rd got offers, and got an offer at a firm that usually only takes T10%ers. A lot of times my grades kept me out of even preselects, but mass-mailing helped a bit.

ca$hmoney69

Postby ca$hmoney69 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:36 pm

would it help me to list on my resume that i wrote on to law review rather than graded on? My LR only accepts 2-3 write-ons, the rest grade on. also I go to a T2 school if that helps answer...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:59 pm

I'm an associate on my firm's recruiting committee, which means I interview a lot of our callbacks, which means I get to see a lot of rising 1L resumes. I always make note of whether the candidate is on a journal. The main journal always means more to me. Writing on would mean something to me.

But you've gotta get the callback for that process to kick in, and below median grades might very well prevent the callback from happening.

And ultimately how you perform on the interview means way more than grades, law school or law review.

chasgoose

Postby chasgoose » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:02 pm

ca$hmoney69 wrote:would it help me to list on my resume that i wrote on to law review rather than graded on? My LR only accepts 2-3 write-ons, the rest grade on. also I go to a T2 school if that helps answer...

If your grades are close enough to the write on category for it to be ambiguous might as well encourage the ambiguity. Otherwise, they will probably be able to tell from your grades that you wrote on.

target

Postby target » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:12 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Why not just share your advice regarding how to spin low grades during interviews ? Thanks !

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:15 pm

Would you mind sharing your school/range within T14?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:17 pm

Advice given on another thread about UVA's OCI:

As far as OGI goes, VLR is more or less a rubber stamp. VLR members consistently go to Williams & Connolly or other top firms each year because they have a 3.7+, not because they are on VLR. However, many employers do put a separate value on law review assuming you meet their basic GPA requirements. For example, a DC firm with a 3.45 cutoff might call back a VLR member with a 3.45 over a non-VLR member with a 3.53. Of course, that firm would also probably take a 3.65 over the VLR member with a 3.45.

I believe in conservative bidding strategies, especially since I'm sure you're targeting the DC/NOVA area. Almost everyone bids that market and the class sizes are small. If you agree, then VLR probably shouldn't change your bidding strategy that much, although you might go for a few more reaches that are still within your zone of realistic success. In my case, as a write-on last year, I had pretty good success at OGI, but I didn't outperform my GPA except for three instances.

Return to “Legal Employment”