Firms to avoid

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
rayiner
Posts: 6184
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:43 am

Re: Firms to avoid

Postby rayiner » Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How about Quinn (NY)?


Firm on the rise, very solid, just had a great year in 2010.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Firms to avoid

Postby romothesavior » Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How about Quinn (NY)?

Image

Anonymous User
Posts: 273568
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Firms to avoid

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:50 pm

Where did this meme come from and what does it mean? I don't get it, but it's all over TLS

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Firms to avoid

Postby Grizz » Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How about Quinn (NY)?

Image

Anonymous User
Posts: 273568
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Firms to avoid

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:51 pm

rayiner wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:How about Quinn (NY)?


Firm on the rise, very solid, just had a great year in 2010.


Thanks. What about Weil NY?

Seems like they took a hit during the economic downturn despite their strong bankruptcy practice, and they deferred a ton of associates by 1.5 years, but they are expanding their class this year.

Avoid, or consider depending on other options? FWIW, my other options aren't exactly STB, CGSH, PW, GDC, etc.

User avatar
rayiner
Posts: 6184
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:43 am

Re: Firms to avoid

Postby rayiner » Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
rayiner wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:How about Quinn (NY)?


Firm on the rise, very solid, just had a great year in 2010.


Thanks. What about Weil NY?

Seems like they took a hit during the economic downturn despite their strong bankruptcy practice, and they deferred a ton of associates by 1.5 years, but they are expanding their class this year.

Avoid, or consider depending on other options? FWIW, my other options aren't exactly STB, CGSH, PW, GDC, etc.


Consider depending on other options. V10 deferring associates to 2012 is exceedingly TTT, but there is no danger of them going Howrey.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273568
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Firms to avoid

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:43 pm

How about Sidley NY? I know Chicago Sidley has good reputations. Is Sidley NY different from other NY firms? Is QOL better there?

User avatar
Trip Coker
Posts: 66
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:11 pm

Re: Firms to avoid

Postby Trip Coker » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:15 pm

K&L Gates, Pittsburgh? Any red flags I should know about?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273568
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Firms to avoid

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:19 pm

Time time and again, I hear Robbins Kaplan is brutal. And by brutal I mean, they treat you as if you were working on the coast.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273568
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Firms to avoid

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:22 pm

Trip Coker wrote:K&L Gates, Pittsburgh? Any red flags I should know about?


+1 for K&L DC

Anonymous User
Posts: 273568
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Firms to avoid

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:34 pm

What about Morgan Lewis Houston? I know about their layoffs back in the day at the larger office, but... what now?

User avatar
bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate
Posts: 13383
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:02 am

Re: Firms to avoid

Postby bjsesq » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:35 pm

Well, this thread certainly got out of hand?

What about X firm in Y city that I am considering attending. Has anybody hear any info through the grapevine that may or may not be credible but will make me feel better/worse about my decision?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273568
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Firms to avoid

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:45 pm

bjsesq wrote:Well, this thread certainly got out of hand?

What about X firm in Y city that I am considering attending. Has anybody hear any info through the grapevine that may or may not be credible but will make me feel better/worse about my decision?


Way to poop on the party.

acrossthelake
Posts: 4431
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 5:27 pm

Re: Firms to avoid

Postby acrossthelake » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:08 pm

romothesavior wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:How about Quinn (NY)?

Image


:lol:

Anonymous User
Posts: 273568
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Firms to avoid

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:47 pm

What about Kirkland & Ellis DC?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273568
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Firms to avoid

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How about Sidley NY? I know Chicago Sidley has good reputations. Is Sidley NY different from other NY firms? Is QOL better there?


Was at Sidley NY this past summer. Great work / fun balance. Got out at 6:30 every day; did a lot of fun stuff after work. Look, Sidley NY is the 2nd biggest Sidley office at 340 attorneys, it originates a ton of its own work, and the people people are some of the chillest and friendliest you'll ever meet. Yes, people obviously look to Chicago as the headquarters of the firm, but by no means did we feel overshadowed or undervalued. All of our training was in NYC and the partners I worked for were doing work for local clients. QOL is better than at most NYC firms.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273568
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Firms to avoid

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:43 am

How's OMM in LA doing this year? Rising or sinking?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273568
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Firms to avoid

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:21 am

Anything on Mayer Brown DC?

paulinaporizkova
Posts: 2494
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:25 pm

Re: Firms to avoid

Postby paulinaporizkova » Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Time time and again, I hear Robbins Kaplan is brutal. And by brutal I mean, they treat you as if you were working on the coast.


I screened there. Everyone I met was pretty much the worst. Receptionist was nice though

User avatar
bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate
Posts: 13383
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:02 am

Re: Firms to avoid

Postby bjsesq » Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:30 am

paulinaporizkova wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Time time and again, I hear Robbins Kaplan is brutal. And by brutal I mean, they treat you as if you were working on the coast.


I screened there. Everyone I met was pretty much the worst. Receptionist was nice though


I interviewed there as well. Pack of fucking douchebags.

User avatar
reasonable_man
Posts: 2200
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:41 pm

Re: Firms to avoid

Postby reasonable_man » Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:47 am

alabamabound wrote:
nhop wrote:Anyone know the scoop on Dewey & LeBoeuf? I heard (anecdotally) that it was not a great place to be, post-merger.


I have heard that Dewey was a bad place to be for awhile after an earlier proposed merger fell through, but things are better post-merger. Pre-merger, LeBoeuf was basically just an insurance law firm so the Dewey rep may have taken a hit but they're probably more stable.



Well this was certainly one to avoid...

User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: Firms to avoid

Postby traehekat » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:28 am

--LinkRemoved--

zomg who could it be




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.