Best practice group for an exit into the financial sector

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
Verity
Posts: 1253
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:26 pm

Re: Best practice group for an exit into the financial sector

Postby Verity » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:35 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
IAFG wrote:
Verity wrote:
IrwinM.Fletcher wrote:Go to a top business school instead.

hth


This is usually credited, but there are a number of Wall Street execs that actually went the law school route, most famous probably being Blankfein.

Lots of famous actors waited tables before they made it big, which is why I am gonna résumé bomb Chili's and TGIFriday's.


You just wanna [HI I'M THE WORD FILTER. THIS PERSON MIGHT BE A DICK.] hag our chilis waiter don't you.


Didn't you say in a thread a while back that Goldman Private Wealth people came to your school for recruiting?

I seem to recall that, for some reason, I-banks are looking for JDs instead of MBAs for certain types of non-legal work.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Best practice group for an exit into the financial sector

Postby 09042014 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:43 pm

Verity wrote:
Didn't you say in a thread a while back that Goldman Private Wealth people came to your school for recruiting?

I seem to recall that, for some reason, I-banks are looking for JDs instead of MBAs for certain types of non-legal work.


They even hired a guy for the summer. But Goldman was the only one.

User avatar
IrwinM.Fletcher
Posts: 1195
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:55 pm

Re: Best practice group for an exit into the financial sector

Postby IrwinM.Fletcher » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:41 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Verity wrote:
Didn't you say in a thread a while back that Goldman Private Wealth people came to your school for recruiting?

I seem to recall that, for some reason, I-banks are looking for JDs instead of MBAs for certain types of non-legal work.


They even hired a guy for the summer. But Goldman was the only one.


And I'm guessing, given that this is NW, he had prior work experience in finance?

OP, going to law school with the goal of ending up in investments is generally a horrible idea.

User avatar
Verity
Posts: 1253
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:26 pm

Re: Best practice group for an exit into the financial sector

Postby Verity » Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:40 pm

IrwinM.Fletcher wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Verity wrote:
Didn't you say in a thread a while back that Goldman Private Wealth people came to your school for recruiting?

I seem to recall that, for some reason, I-banks are looking for JDs instead of MBAs for certain types of non-legal work.


They even hired a guy for the summer. But Goldman was the only one.


And I'm guessing, given that this is NW, he had prior work experience in finance?

OP, going to law school with the goal of ending up in investments is generally a horrible idea.


I didn't say that this was my definite goal. I'm just contemplating my options. If I have the opportunity to make partner at a big firm, that would be great. If I could make GC at an investment bank, awesome. And if I could get into the business side, that might be cool too.

I'm already an active investor. Studying law and practicing in a specific field (probably CM) will, I believe, teach me a lot that will help if I ever want to do this professionally.

ToTransferOrNot
Posts: 1928
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:45 am

Re: Best practice group for an exit into the financial sector

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:44 pm

Jamie Spreyregen - bigshot Kirkland Bankruptcy partner, left K&E for Goldman in 200(6?). He came back to Kirkland in 200(9 or 10?). The famed jump from biglaw to banking isn't really a logical path for most people.

User avatar
Verity
Posts: 1253
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:26 pm

Re: Best practice group for an exit into the financial sector

Postby Verity » Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:52 pm

ToTransferOrNot wrote:Jamie Spreyregen - bigshot Kirkland Bankruptcy partner, left K&E for Goldman in 200(6?). He came back to Kirkland in 200(9 or 10?). The famed jump from biglaw to banking isn't really a logical path for most people.


It seemed like Sprayregen didn't intend on staying there long to begin with, and only went there on the legal-side. Goldman was probably anticipating a number of bankruptcies and needed some help. I don't think JS ever intended to stop being a real lawyer.

ToTransferOrNot
Posts: 1928
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:45 am

Re: Best practice group for an exit into the financial sector

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:55 pm

Verity wrote:
ToTransferOrNot wrote:Jamie Spreyregen - bigshot Kirkland Bankruptcy partner, left K&E for Goldman in 200(6?). He came back to Kirkland in 200(9 or 10?). The famed jump from biglaw to banking isn't really a logical path for most people.


It seemed like Sprayregen didn't intend on staying there long to begin with, and only went there on the legal-side. Goldman was probably anticipating a number of bankruptcies and needed some help. I don't think JS ever intended to stop being a real lawyer.


I was under the impression that he took some of the financial tests and such. Also, they hired a pretty big name to replace him when he left, who now co-heads the group: that doesn't strike me as a temporary leave. I could certainly be wrong, though.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.