Cleary

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Renzo

Re: Cleary

Postby Renzo » Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:55 pm

dixiecupdrinking wrote: A weird thing to get in a pissing contest over, however.

Yeah. My bad, but it's been building across a couple threads. I put him on my enemies list so it won't happen again, and I apologize to the rest of the thread.

Younger Abstention

Postby Younger Abstention » Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:58 pm

I know multiple people near the median at a T10 who got it.

imchuckbass58

Postby imchuckbass58 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:00 pm

Not sure if you're interested in corporate and lit, but keep in mind that Cleary (and DPW, which is also known as a "nice" firm) are very, very capital markets heavy in corporate. Some people like capital markets, but many people hate it (more so than other practices), and I have several friends who are at these firms who are considering doing EIP as 3Ls not because they dislike the firm itself, but because they are terrified of being stuck churning out debt offerings and IPOs for the rest of their careers.

swc65

Postby swc65 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:15 pm

Bronte wrote:
Renzo wrote:
swc65 wrote:what about grade sensitivity at NYC t6?

Relatively high.

They're looking for about top 15% from T10s. That's a median figure, not a hard or even soft cutoff.

Thanks.

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:03 am

Renzo wrote:
dixiecupdrinking wrote: A weird thing to get in a pissing contest over, however.

Yeah. My bad, but it's been building across a couple threads. I put him on my enemies list so it won't happen again, and I apologize to the rest of the thread.

You're not the first.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:41 pm

Younger Abstention wrote:I know multiple people near the median at a T10 who got it.

So top 20% at T6 should be good, gradewise, right?

Younger Abstention

Postby Younger Abstention » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Younger Abstention wrote:I know multiple people near the median at a T10 who got it.

If you interview well. They are a big "fit" firm.

TheFriendlyBarber

Postby TheFriendlyBarber » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:21 pm

This thread, like many of Cleary's lawyers, is homosexual.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:22 pm

Younger Abstention wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

If you interview well. They are a big "fit" firm.

It's not so much that you interview well as that you be "quirky" and "not fratty". They definitely focus a lot on fit, but that doesn't translate into hiring the best interviewers necessarily. (Not that Cleary is socially awkward--far from it. But I imagine a room of Cleary and Skadden associates would quickly self-segregate even if none of them knew each other at the beginning.)

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:29 pm

TheFriendlyBarber wrote:This thread, like many of Cleary's lawyers, is homosexual.

This type of shit isn't appreciated on TLS.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:34 pm

Went to a SA event at Cleary this summer cause my buddy works there. From what I can tell, cleary dudes can be just as huge b-bags as anyone, not even funny ones, but at the end of the day they are dudes who killed it at great law schools, how big of dbags could they be right?. But my buddy likes it there a lot and hes a mix of a frat bro/quirky genius.

Also, whoever thinks midtown is better than the financial district in terms of work and living is f-ing retarded. Sure in midtown real estate is more expensive, so you pay 3 grand a month for a 2 bedroom closet with roaches for an apt 2 blocks from 30 rock...sounds awesome! and all those sweet bars in midtown like 230 5th, so hot, and walking through 2 million tourists that think times sq is cool makes me want to glock someone.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:43 pm

imchuckbass58 wrote:Not sure if you're interested in corporate and lit, but keep in mind that Cleary (and DPW, which is also known as a "nice" firm) are very, very capital markets heavy in corporate. Some people like capital markets, but many people hate it (more so than other practices), and I have several friends who are at these firms who are considering doing EIP as 3Ls not because they dislike the firm itself, but because they are terrified of being stuck churning out debt offerings and IPOs for the rest of their careers.

True. On the flip side, a lot fewer people come to dpw and Cleary gunning for m&a.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
imchuckbass58 wrote:Not sure if you're interested in corporate and lit, but keep in mind that Cleary (and DPW, which is also known as a "nice" firm) are very, very capital markets heavy in corporate. Some people like capital markets, but many people hate it (more so than other practices), and I have several friends who are at these firms who are considering doing EIP as 3Ls not because they dislike the firm itself, but because they are terrified of being stuck churning out debt offerings and IPOs for the rest of their careers.

True. On the flip side, a lot fewer people come to dpw and Cleary gunning for m&a.

DPW's summer class is stuffed with people trying to do M&A. I swear a quarter of the class wants M&A, not just corporate, it's ridiculous.

TheFriendlyBarber

Postby TheFriendlyBarber » Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:19 am

Bronte wrote:
TheFriendlyBarber wrote:This thread, like many of Cleary's lawyers, is homosexual.

This type of shit isn't appreciated on TLS.

Neither is this:

Bronte wrote:Let's . . . dick talk . . . .

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=160323&start=125#p4596838

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

DPW's summer class is stuffed with people trying to do M&A. I swear a quarter of the class wants M&A, not just corporate, it's ridiculous.

I haven't noticed this at all.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I haven't noticed this at all.

I heard it from Christina (not the number, just that it was quite popular). What's your experience been?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

I heard it from Christina (not the number, just that it was quite popular). What's your experience been?

Everyone and their mother wants to do lit or is on the fence. Must be a "who you know" thing.

sharklasers

Postby sharklasers » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:15 pm

Cleary doesn't have any better work/life balance than any other New York firm. Their associates grind, 24/7/365, like any other New York firm. When a firm says "we don't have an hours requirement," be afraid. Be very afraid.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Everyone and their mother wants to do lit or is on the fence. Must be a "who you know" thing.

Wait this is getting weird, because I've literally spent all summer thinking only a tiny number of people in our class want to do lit.

By the way, do I know you? I know there are three of us on TLS who all know we're on TLS. Are you one of those three (because I am) or is there a spy in our midst?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:00 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Wait this is getting weird, because I've literally spent all summer thinking only a tiny number of people in our class want to do lit.

By the way, do I know you? I know there are three of us on TLS who all know we're on TLS. Are you one of those three (because I am) or is there a spy in our midst?

I guess I just know the lit people. And I'm one of the three hehe.

MrKappus

Postby MrKappus » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:21 am

Renzo wrote:

We accept your late apology.

Return to “Legal Employment”