Law Review and Corporate Law

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Law Review and Corporate Law

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:12 pm

It seems to me that being on law review is training for litigation rather than corporate law. If one is on law review, but specifically interested in pursuing corporate work, will it give that person an edge in the hiring process? How do firms hiring for transactional work view law reivew? Thanks.

Re: Law Review and Corporate Law

Postby 09042014 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:It seems to me that being on law review is training for litigation rather than corporate law. If one is on law review, but specifically interested in pursuing corporate work, will it give that person an edge in the hiring process? How do firms hiring for transactional work view law reivew? Thanks.

Being on law review is training for being a secretary.

Julio_El_Chavo

Postby Julio_El_Chavo » Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:22 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:It seems to me that being on law review is training for litigation rather than corporate law. If one is on law review, but specifically interested in pursuing corporate work, will it give that person an edge in the hiring process? How do firms hiring for transactional work view law reivew? Thanks.

CR. No one gives a fuck about law review once you have a client list and real work under your belt.

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:36 pm

"Law review" means you had either one of the highest GPAs or best-written journal competition entries at your law school, so employers prefer it for the same reason they prefer students with higher grades in general. Its irrelevance to just about everything except academia and possibly appellate litigation means nothing to employers.

Oban

Postby Oban » Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:42 pm

law review/journals aren't training for anything but journals; academic writing and citation.

Postby 09042014 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:45 pm

G. T. L. Rev. wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

Or not. At all.

I did an editing cycle on a secondary journal. It seems like everyone not in an Eboard position just edits and cite checks. But again I only did one editing cycle.

Julio_El_Chavo

Postby Julio_El_Chavo » Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:47 pm

G. T. L. Rev. wrote:
Julio_El_Chavo wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

CR. No one gives a fuck about law review once you have a client list and real work under your belt.

Maybe. But consider that there are lots of people who do care about it. These include at least (1) OCI employers; (2) judges; (3) federal agencies that search for "law review" when sorting online apps; and (4) academic positions/fellowships.

Considering that many of those entites may play a role in where you end up having a client list and real work experience, LR does matter, even if lots of the actual work involved in it is extremely mundane.

it's a proxy for high grades. your grades show that you work hard, think logically, and can write relatively well. this is what all of the people you mention really care about.

fwiw, i got a V10 firm job without law review (but top 10% grades).

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:59 pm

G. T. L. Rev. wrote:
Julio_El_Chavo wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

Maybe. But consider that there are lots of people who do care about it. These include at least (1) OCI employers; (2) judges; (3) federal agencies that search for "law review" when sorting online apps; and (4) academic positions/fellowships.

Considering that many of those entites may play a role in where you end up having a client list and real work experience, LR does matter, even if lots of the actual work involved in it is extremely mundane.

I don't think anyone is arguing it's not important, only that it's not important because of the substance of what you do/learn. I can't imagine any employer anywhere gives a flying fuck how good I am at searching ProQuest for the original print versions of an article that also appeared online, so that I can find the page it appeared on. The importance of LR comes from the status of having been through it, not from any skill or ability it develops.

Julio_El_Chavo

Postby Julio_El_Chavo » Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:03 pm

Also, I know several people on law review who got no offers from V10s despite interviewing with 7 or 8 of them.

quakeroats

Postby quakeroats » Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:15 pm

G. T. L. Rev. wrote:
Julio_El_Chavo wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

Most of what you listed is only relevant for the first few years of practice.

Return to “Legal Employment”