So, um, Cravath wants a cover letter . . .

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

So, um, Cravath wants a cover letter . . .

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:41 am

Rising 2L here, trying to figure some stuff out. Forgive me if it sounds like I have no idea what I'm talking about, because, really, I don't.

So, my understanding of Cravath's recruiting process is that you have to indicate early on, at the level of the screening interview, whether you are interested in their litigation or their corporate practice. My question is, on their syplycity listing, Cravath wants a cover letter: in the letter, do I already have to make that decision? Can I just extol the awesomeness of each practice group and my interest in each in the letter, and subsequently give them a firmer answer should I get a first round interview? Or do they want to know, in the letter, which one I would indicate my preference for?

If it matters, I'm at BU/BC, so while CSM is obviously a huge reach, they do interview at our NYC program. My grades are solidly above the top 5% cutoff and the NYC program is infinite bid, totally pre-select, so I figure I have nothing to lose but ego by trying. Just trying to figure out how to write the letter.

Thanks.

Cavalier

Re: So, um, Cravath wants a cover letter . . .

Postby Cavalier » Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:53 am

I would pick either corporate or litigation now, for your cover letter. I know from experience that saying you're interested in both during the screening interview is a big no-no, so they might react negatively to a cover letter that discusses your interest in both. FWIW, I think picking corporate will increase your chances of being called back. At UVA they are actually interviewing 3Ls this fall, but only those who are interested in corporate, which is telling.

BenJ

Postby BenJ » Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:56 am

Cavalier wrote:I would pick either corporate or litigation now, for your cover letter. I know from experience that saying you're interested in both during the screening interview is a big no-no, so they might react negatively to a cover letter that discusses your interest in both. FWIW, I think picking corporate will increase your chances of being called back. At UVA they are actually interviewing 3Ls this fall, but only those who are interested in corporate, which is telling.

Same at NYU; they're only interviewing 3Ls for corporate.

Weird that they're asking BU/BC students for a cover letter, though. They're not asking for one at NYU (just the typical oddity of asking for an undergrad transcript).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:01 am

OP here:

Thanks for the quick replies. That was my thinking, too, both with regards to picking one in the cover letter, and to picking corp (they say they're interviewing 3Ls for corp here, too).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:44 pm

BenJ wrote:Cavalier wrote:
I would pick either corporate or litigation now, for your cover letter. I know from experience that saying you're interested in both during the screening interview is a big no-no, so they might react negatively to a cover letter that discusses your interest in both. FWIW, I think picking corporate will increase your chances of being called back. At UVA they are actually interviewing 3Ls this fall, but only those who are interested in corporate, which is telling.

Weird that they're asking BU/BC students for a cover letter, though. They're not asking for one at NYU (just the typical oddity of asking for an undergrad transcript).

What do you mean they are only interviewing 3Ls for corporate? They are interviewing 2Ls for corporate as well...

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:49 pm

I think the posters meant to say that they're NOT interviewing 3Ls for litigation.

Aston2412

Postby Aston2412 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

What do you mean they are only interviewing 3Ls for corporate? They are interviewing 2Ls for corporate as well...

He means 3Ls that want to do litigation are SoL.

RCRARollin

Postby RCRARollin » Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

reading comprehension fail. and why is this anonymous

Staberinde

Postby Staberinde » Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:00 pm

RCRARollin wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

reading comprehension fail. and why is this anonymous

Um. More like misplaced modifier fail.

Return to “Legal Employment”