.

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3rd year patent litigation associate taking questions

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:02 pm

Thx for taking Qs dooder.

I'm SA'ing at an IP lit boutique in NYC. We do tons of pharma work. If possible, can you go into some more detail about what you know re exit options? For obvious reasons, I'm not in a position to bring this subject up at work because I would like to leave the office in August with an offer in hand. Thanks again.

katisse
Posts: 25
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:11 am

Re: 3rd year patent litigation associate taking questions

Postby katisse » Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Thx for taking Qs dooder.

I'm SA'ing at an IP lit boutique in NYC. We do tons of pharma work. If possible, can you go into some more detail about what you know re exit options? For obvious reasons, I'm not in a position to bring this subject up at work because I would like to leave the office in August with an offer in hand. Thanks again.

I'm a bit surprised you're not comfortable to bring this up at work as an SA. Try it. Not with partners necessarily, but with junior associates. You'd be surprised.

I can't really talk about your firm's exit ops - the best you can do is talk to your own junior associates there - I would be pretty shocked if they were weird about discussing it.

Firms expect most of your summer class to leave within 3-4 years. A majority of your firm's 2nd years, and definitely a lot of their 3rd years, are either in the hunt or are contemplating it.

The only time discussing "exit ops" has an impact for someone like you is if you land a clerkship that begins a year after joining your firm. Then, you'll probably have an unproductive first year at the firm - in many firms anyway (not all). That's the only occasion where I'd be a bit strategic about "discussing exit ops" - but if that is truly the case, you've got your exit locked up with a judge anyway, so its not a valid point.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3rd year patent litigation associate taking questions

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:27 am

katisse wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Thx for taking Qs dooder.

I'm SA'ing at an IP lit boutique in NYC. We do tons of pharma work. If possible, can you go into some more detail about what you know re exit options? For obvious reasons, I'm not in a position to bring this subject up at work because I would like to leave the office in August with an offer in hand. Thanks again.

I'm a bit surprised you're not comfortable to bring this up at work as an SA. Try it. Not with partners necessarily, but with junior associates. You'd be surprised.

I can't really talk about your firm's exit ops - the best you can do is talk to your own junior associates there - I would be pretty shocked if they were weird about discussing it.

Firms expect most of your summer class to leave within 3-4 years. A majority of your firm's 2nd years, and definitely a lot of their 3rd years, are either in the hunt or are contemplating it.

The only time discussing "exit ops" has an impact for someone like you is if you land a clerkship that begins a year after joining your firm. Then, you'll probably have an unproductive first year at the firm - in many firms anyway (not all). That's the only occasion where I'd be a bit strategic about "discussing exit ops" - but if that is truly the case, you've got your exit locked up with a judge anyway, so its not a valid point.


Thanks!

bay_to_nyc
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:11 pm

Re: .

Postby bay_to_nyc » Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:58 am

How much does your law school's IP program matter?

I just finished up my first year at Berkeley Law, but I got into NYU as a transfer and I'm thinking about taking it. NYU is higher ranked and is my school of preference, but Berkeley's got the top IP program... Do you think recruiters for the IP group are going to look down upon me transferring to NYU?

User avatar
Rotor
Posts: 917
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:06 pm

Re: .

Postby Rotor » Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:37 am

bay_to_nyc wrote:How much does your law school's IP program matter?

I just finished up my first year at Berkeley Law, but I got into NYU as a transfer and I'm thinking about taking it. NYU is higher ranked and is my school of preference, but Berkeley's got the top IP program... Do you think recruiters for the IP group are going to look down upon me transferring to NYU?

What is it about NYU that makes it your preferred school?

I don't know whether or not it will make a difference, but for some recruiters it probably will raise the question--to which you will have to have a good answer. But not knowing your details, it seems like someone who did well enough at Boalt grade-wise to transfer would be in a much better OCI position in Berkeley than as a transfer without a real GPA at NYU.

Edit for added detail.

bay_to_nyc
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:11 pm

Re: .

Postby bay_to_nyc » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:04 am

Rotor wrote:
bay_to_nyc wrote:How much does your law school's IP program matter?

I just finished up my first year at Berkeley Law, but I got into NYU as a transfer and I'm thinking about taking it. NYU is higher ranked and is my school of preference, but Berkeley's got the top IP program... Do you think recruiters for the IP group are going to look down upon me transferring to NYU?

What is it about NYU that makes it your preferred school?

I don't know whether or not it will make a difference, but for some recruiters it probably will raise the question--to which you will have to have a good answer. But not knowing your details, it seems like someone who did well enough at Boalt grade-wise to transfer would be in a much better OCI position in Berkeley than as a transfer without a real GPA at NYU.

Edit for added detail.


I prefer to go to NYU because I have a summer in-house internship at a company that I'll be able to continue throughout the year, and also because I want to experience this city before I go back to california and practice. (Btw, that's another thing that makes this transfer difficult - because I ultimately want to practice in california and bid for california firms)

Another thing I should note is actually didn't do that great at Berkeley (probably around median), but somehow still got in. I was hoping that recruiters would view my grades as better than they actually are, since they'll see that I was able to transfer.

Do you have any thoughts on what are "good" answers, and which ones are not so great?

User avatar
Rotor
Posts: 917
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:06 pm

Re: .

Postby Rotor » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:26 pm

bay_to_nyc wrote:Do you have any thoughts on what are "good" answers, and which ones are not so great?

Genuine, forthright answers. The content will be up to you. :)




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.