SEC Observer program fall and spring

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

SEC Observer program fall and spring

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:32 pm

Do you think doing 2 semesters of the SEC Observer program is better than just 1 semester?

Danteshek

Re: SEC Observer program fall and spring

Postby Danteshek » Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Do you think doing 2 semesters of the SEC Observer program is better than just 1 semester?

Completely depends. Are you having fun? Are you getting interesting assignments?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:45 pm

Danteshek wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Do you think doing 2 semesters of the SEC Observer program is better than just 1 semester?

Completely depends. Are you having fun? Are you getting interesting assignments?

Im not sure if I will get interesting assignments. Do you think 2 semesters looks better on my resume?

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Danteshek wrote:

Im not sure if I will get interesting assignments. Do you think 2 semesters looks better on my resume?

I would have to see your resume. Are you in DC?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:36 pm

Danteshek wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Danteshek wrote:

I would have to see your resume. Are you in DC?

Yes. I m trying to figure out whether or not doing 2 semesters at the SEC or 1 at the SEC 1 at the DOJ will help my chances of getting a job. Im around top 15-25% GW.

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:42 pm

Do you have work experience that is relevant to SEC? How committed are you to ending up at SEC?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:47 pm

Danteshek wrote:Do you have work experience that is relevant to SEC? How committed are you to ending up at SEC?

I really want to work at a midlaw/biglaw firm doing corporate/securities work. The midlaw firm I am at right now does have a lot of securities work and corporate is pretty slow.

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:00 am

One semester is fine.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:10 pm

Do the D.C. deadlines apply if we want to submit an application for a regional office? As in, is it too late to apply for the Fall 2011 program (and too early to apply to the Spring 2012 program)? The website is a little vague.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:49 am

Sorry for the thread high jack, but I need some advice fairly quickly:

I'm a rising 2L, currently doing a judicial internship for the summer.

For this fall, I've applied to do another (federal) judicial externship for credit, and the SEC observer program. My primary goal is to have a good experience but also have something I can bolster my resume with for OCI.

With that in mind, which internship should I accept, if I end up having the option?

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:54 pm

I would advise you to work at the SEC and not do the judicial internship. Turn down the judge if you have to (don't listen to the law school if they tell you that's a no-no -- they are full of shit and only interested in the school's reputation, not your career). I did two judicial internships and in general think that they are overrated. Law schools want you to do judicial internships because they think that improving a school's relationship with a particular judge will improve the chances of other students at that law school of getting clerkships with that judge. The experience itself, depending on the judge, can mostly consist of doing administrative tasks like preparing scheduling conference memoranda (basically deciding when hearings are scheduled according to the rules). As a rising 2L you are probably simply incompetent to write substantive orders without an inordinate amount of supervision and guidance which the clerks may or may not be willing to give you. Moreover, in my experience, 2.5 months is not enough time to learn how to do good work for the judge, or even contribute. So, it ends up being a mostly observational experience. The SEC may not give you a better substantive experience (indeed, you might be assigned mostly administrative tasks), but at least it signals an interest in securities law, which may or may not be genuine. Signaling an interest in securities law can help you argue persuasively that you want to work in a corporate law firm environment.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:35 am

Interviewed at one of the regional offices for fall... has anyone heard back or know their turnaround time?

Return to “Legal Employment”