3L recruiting question

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
lawfirmrecruiter
Posts: 622
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:28 pm

3L recruiting question

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:30 pm

As a recruiter, I would like to flip the table and ask you a question. What are you looking for in a firm and/or location? What would entice you to look in a market you had not previously considered in 2L OCI?
Last edited by lawfirmrecruiter on Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Julio_El_Chavo
Posts: 803
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:09 pm

Re: 3L recruiting question

Postby Julio_El_Chavo » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:38 pm

Most people actively looking for jobs as 3Ls can't afford to be picky.

lawfirmrecruiter
Posts: 622
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:28 pm

Re: 3L recruiting question

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:57 pm

Julio_El_Chavo wrote:Most people actively looking for jobs as 3Ls can't afford to be picky.


While I can appreciate that, students should still find the right spot for them and you should be picky. This is your career and life after all! That said, as a reasonably large firm that only hires 3Ls, I'd like to know what students are looking for. We are taking a gamble on changing our hiring model and I'd like to know what students want and need to entice you to apply with us.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273568
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L recruiting question

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:59 pm

Culture of 2L firm didn't fit perfectly (perhaps too relaxed or not challenging enough).

Most law students actually place very little emphasis on market ALONE. For example, asked between a NYC office with 10 lawyers and the DC HQ with 500, I would choose DC hands down, even though I like NYC better as a city. I could also see someone preferring a certain market for a really strong practice, i.e. M&A in NYC, securities regulation in DC, patent law in Palo Alto, etc.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273568
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L recruiting question

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:03 am

lawfirmrecruiter wrote:
Julio_El_Chavo wrote:Most people actively looking for jobs as 3Ls can't afford to be picky.


While I can appreciate that, students should still find the right spot for them and you should be picky. This is your career and life after all! That said, as a reasonably large firm that only hires 3Ls, I'd like to know what students are looking for. We are taking a gamble on changing our hiring model and I'd like to know what students want and need to entice you to apply with us.


I don't know if this is addressed to you or Julio, but the 3L students firms are targeting are the ones who have offers from their 2L firms. Or at least that is who you should be targeting.

And you are correct as far as being picky. I am finishing up a SA with one of the largest firms in the world, then doing 5 more weeks with a small 100-person firm. I don't want to hear about culture differences, I want to see it. If the mid/small firm life is all that better, I won't hesitate to take that offer even though it will be $45K less.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273568
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L recruiting question

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:07 am

This is the same anonymous poster responding to you, by the way. To answer your last question - you should be different. For example, I'm bidding on 2 firms for 3L OCI: one big firm known for quirky people and one smaller but highly ranked and well-regarded litigation boutique.

User avatar
98234872348
Posts: 1547
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:25 pm

Re: 3L recruiting question

Postby 98234872348 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:09 am

.
Last edited by 98234872348 on Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

lawfirmrecruiter
Posts: 622
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:28 pm

Re: 3L recruiting question

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:12 am

Anonymous User wrote:
lawfirmrecruiter wrote:
Julio_El_Chavo wrote:Most people actively looking for jobs as 3Ls can't afford to be picky.


While I can appreciate that, students should still find the right spot for them and you should be picky. This is your career and life after all! That said, as a reasonably large firm that only hires 3Ls, I'd like to know what students are looking for. We are taking a gamble on changing our hiring model and I'd like to know what students want and need to entice you to apply with us.


I don't know if this is addressed to you or Julio, but the 3L students firms are targeting are the ones who have offers from their 2L firms. Or at least that is who you should be targeting.

And you are correct as far as being picky. I am finishing up a SA with one of the largest firms in the world, then doing 5 more weeks with a small 100-person firm. I don't want to hear about culture differences, I want to see it. If the mid/small firm life is all that better, I won't hesitate to take that offer even though it will be $45K less.


Precisely why our program occurs after summer and as a virtual fall apprenticeship during the fall. We offer an alternative to see what smaller more focused markets are like while getting tailored practice training.

lawfirmrecruiter
Posts: 622
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:28 pm

Re: 3L recruiting question

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:14 am

mistergoft wrote:
lawfirmrecruiter wrote:As a recruiter, I would like to flip the table and ask you a question. What are you looking for in a firm and/or location? What would intice you to look in a market you had not previously considered in 2L OCI?

There is no way a law firm recruiter would spell entice wrong. GTFO of here.


Please pardon the typos. I am on an iPad and hit the wrong keys. I assure you that I am a recruiter and hope that you can forgive a quick typo here and there.

User avatar
98234872348
Posts: 1547
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:25 pm

Re: 3L recruiting question

Postby 98234872348 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:16 am

.
Last edited by 98234872348 on Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
stratocophic
Posts: 2207
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:24 pm

Re: 3L recruiting question

Postby stratocophic » Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:26 am

Anonymous User wrote:Culture of 2L firm didn't fit perfectly (perhaps too relaxed or not challenging enough).

Most law students actually place very little emphasis on market ALONE. For example, asked between a NYC office with 10 lawyers and the DC HQ with 500, I would choose DC hands down, even though I like NYC better as a city. I could also see someone preferring a certain market for a really strong practice, i.e. M&A in NYC, securities regulation in DC, patent law in Palo Alto, etc.
Definitely agree with the regional practice areas thing, but I guess those are characteristics you can't do much about. Maybe doing a good job of selling the region to people, highlighting the lifestyle things that are available beyond the touristy stuff everyone already knows about? I know that city can get a bad rap on TLS from people applying to the law school there, because they come in with a certain idea about the city due to its geographic location and the industry that draws most tourists. Highlighting amenities like the nightlife and awesome new-ish trendy developments downtown might be beneficial for attracting 20-somethings who leery of being stuck in a place with nothing to do. I've seen law firms and law schools try to sell their cities on their recruiting sites, and I'm usually underwhelmed and left feeling like all I read was a brief summary written for tourists. They don't treat it like they're trying to convince someone it's a great place to settle down, just a nice place to spend a few weeks. Just my opinion.

As an aside, I like that people are using TLS as a big focus group. Seems like we might be able to provide as much benefit for innovative types as you provide for us (like the JD Match guy switching his approach almost overnight after seeing TLS' scathing reception of his business model).

lawfirmrecruiter
Posts: 622
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:28 pm

Re: 3L recruiting question

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:33 am

stratocophic wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Culture of 2L firm didn't fit perfectly (perhaps too relaxed or not challenging enough).

Most law students actually place very little emphasis on market ALONE. For example, asked between a NYC office with 10 lawyers and the DC HQ with 500, I would choose DC hands down, even though I like NYC better as a city. I could also see someone preferring a certain market for a really strong practice, i.e. M&A in NYC, securities regulation in DC, patent law in Palo Alto, etc.
Definitely agree with the regional practice areas thing, but I guess those are characteristics you can't do much about. Maybe doing a good job of selling the region to people, highlighting the lifestyle things that are available beyond the touristy stuff everyone already knows about? I know that city can get a bad rap on TLS from people applying to the law school there, because they come in with a certain idea about the city due to its geographic location and the industry that draws most tourists. Highlighting amenities like the nightlife and awesome new-ish trendy developments downtown might be beneficial for attracting 20-somethings who leery of being stuck in a place with nothing to do. I've seen law firms and law schools try to sell their cities on their recruiting sites, and I'm usually underwhelmed and left feeling like all I read was a brief summary written for tourists. They don't treat it like they're trying to convince someone it's a great place to settle down, just a nice place to spend a few weeks. Just my opinion.

As an aside, I like that people are using TLS as a big focus group. Seems like we might be able to provide as much benefit for innovative types as you provide for us (like the JD Match guy switching his approach almost overnight after seeing TLS' scathing reception of his business model).


Thanks for you comments. We cannot improve and change our industry and recruiting model unless there is an open dialogue between firms, schools, and students and TLS hopefully provides such a forum.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273568
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L recruiting question

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:57 am

I will be doing 3L OCI because I decided during my 2L year that I'm interested in a niche practice area. My firm has that department, but it's small, and they won't tell me whether or not I can work in their group or whether I've been placed somewhere else until (probably) a week before I would go to start full-time. I'm looking for a firm that does the type of practice I like and will hire me directly for their group. I like my current firm and stand a decent chance at getting into the group if I stay with them, and I'm at the tippy top of my class at a T14, so (hopefully) I may be able to be picky and find the right fit. So, basically, I'm looking for a firm that isn't going to hide the ball--tell me what I'm going to be doing there!




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.