Emailed SA application question

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
nymario

Emailed SA application question

Postby nymario » Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:33 pm

Assuming the firm is not participating at OCI, what is the best way to transmit the application:
1) Email attaching the cover letter, transcript, resume and duplicate the cover letter in the body of the email
2) Email attaching the cover letter, transcript, resume and craft a brief new "email cover letter" directing the recipient to the attached cover letter
3) Don't email, it's not worth it because it won't be read. Get great resume paper and snail mail it
4) Do both (1 or 2) and 3
5) Other?

get it to x

Re: Emailed SA application question

Postby get it to x » Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:40 pm

nymario wrote:Assuming the firm is not participating at OCI, what is the best way to transmit the application:
1) Email attaching the cover letter, transcript, resume and duplicate the cover letter in the body of the email
2) Email attaching the cover letter, transcript, resume and craft a brief new "email cover letter" directing the recipient to the attached cover letter
3) Don't email, it's not worth it because it won't be read. Get great resume paper and snail mail it
4) Do both (1 or 2) and 3
5) Other?

I avoided snail-mail in my search unless I was explicitly told to do so. Email ensured that the proper contact received my materials. I usually attached my cover letter and wrote a separate and short email.

thesealocust

Re: Emailed SA application question

Postby thesealocust » Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:08 pm

(2).

HR needs to know what the fuck the email is, so you need text in the body. Then you want your documents separate because that's probably how their filing and distribution system works.

Snail mail is fine, but at most firms email should be quicker, cheaper, and just as effective.

Return to “Legal Employment”