Post Transfer Resume GPA Question

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
bceagles182

Post Transfer Resume GPA Question

Postby bceagles182 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:25 pm

So my new school grades on a 4.30 scale with a 3.30 median. IMO that scale is silly, but oh well. My old school was graded on a 4.00 curve with a 3.00 median and my 3.66 GPA was in the top 7% there. It looks significantly less impressive next to the GPAs at my new school though.

I currently have: Old School, 3.66/4.00, Top 7% (xx/xxx) written on my resume, but is there a tasteful way I can indicate the inflated GPA scale at my new school so that my GPA isn’t compared directly with others?

I know schools in my new market will probably know the scale but I'm worried about firms in secondary markets.

GeePee

Re: Post Transfer Resume GPA Question

Postby GeePee » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:35 pm

bceagles182 wrote:So my new school grades on a 4.30 scale with a 3.30 median. IMO that scale is silly, but oh well. My old school was graded on a 4.00 curve with a 3.00 median and my 3.66 GPA was in the top 7% there. It looks significantly less impressive next to the GPAs at my new school though.

I currently have: Old School, 3.66/4.00, Top 7% (xx/xxx) written on my resume, but is there a tasteful way I can indicate the inflated GPA scale at my new school so that my GPA isn’t compared directly with others?

I know schools in my new market will probably know the scale but I'm worried about firms in secondary markets.

I'm not sure how this matters. Your grades won't be compared to others at your school, because you're a transfer.

bceagles182

Postby bceagles182 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:38 pm

GeePee wrote:
bceagles182 wrote:So my new school grades on a 4.30 scale with a 3.30 median. IMO that scale is silly, but oh well. My old school was graded on a 4.00 curve with a 3.00 median and my 3.66 GPA was in the top 7% there. It looks significantly less impressive next to the GPAs at my new school though.

I'm not sure how this matters. Your grades won't be compared to others at your school, because you're a transfer.

That seems partially right but recruiters will need to compare my GPA to some extent to others... otherwise how would they decide who gets an interview?

Are you saying they'll look exclusively my class rank?

bceagles182

Postby bceagles182 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:44 pm

My point is that if an employer sees two resumes:

1. GPA 3.66/4.0 (top 7%)
2. GPA: 3.66 (top 15%) at slightly higher ranked school

My chances of being picked would seem to increase if they realized that #2 was out of a 4.3 scale. I know that the class rank helps somewhat, but I feel like the /4.3 helps me as well -- but nobody is going to put /4.3 on their resume
Last edited by bceagles182 on Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Aston2412

Postby Aston2412 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:45 pm

Your GPA can't be compared directly to your peers at your new school because you weren't graded against them at the time (and in your case not even on the same scale).

Your new GPA shouldn't have any meaning at your new school past getting you in. They won't use your old GPA to rank you among your new classmates because it's not an equivalent comparison.

bceagles182

Postby bceagles182 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:48 pm

Aston2412 wrote:Your GPA can't be compared directly to your peers at your new school because you weren't graded against them at the time (and in your case not even on the same scale).

Your new GPA shouldn't have any meaning at your new school past getting you in. They won't use your old GPA to rank you among your new classmates because it's not an equivalent comparison.

That's kind of my point though. The usefulness of directly comparing GPAs is lessened by the fact we weren't on the same scale. But how are they going to know that?

Aston2412

Postby Aston2412 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:51 pm

It doesn't matter if they know that really. They know that you were graded at a different school and they know that a 3.66 there was top 7%.

When they see someone from your new school with a 3.66, it doesn't matter what the scale is if they know that person is top 15%.

Besides, if they regularly interview at your new school, which I'm assuming they do if they are going to OCI, then they likely are aware of the school's scale already.

PeanutHead

Postby PeanutHead » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:51 pm

Are you suggesting that you want to put your old school's GPA next to your new school's name (and relative class rank)? Hopefully not b/c this is 100% incorrect and the career staff at your new school should have been clear about this. You need to put your new school name and expected graduation and then below that put the old school's name and stats. Suggesting that you are in the top 15% of your new school (when you have never taken a class there) is a big no no.

bceagles182

Postby bceagles182 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:54 pm

PeanutHead wrote:Are you suggesting that you want to put your old school's GPA next to your new school's name (and relative class rank)? Hopefully not b/c this is 100% incorrect and the career staff at your new school should have been clear about this. You need to put your new school name and expected graduation and then below that put the old school's name and stats. Suggesting that you are in the top 15% of your new school (when you have never taken a class there) is a big no no.

No. Where did you get that from? My first post is quite clear that I labeled the GPA as being from my old school. My third post was saying (by way of comparison between my resume and someone's resume at the new school who is actually ranekd in the top 15%) that they need to distinguish my GPA from others. It's not complicated. I'm suggesting that, if possible, I want to indicate that the new school is graded out of 4.30.

If I was #2 (above) why would my chances increase by indicating an inflated scale?

bceagles182

Postby bceagles182 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:03 pm

Aston2412 wrote:It doesn't matter if they know that really. They know that you were graded at a different school and they know that a 3.66 there was top 7%.

When they see someone from your new school with a 3.66, it doesn't matter what the scale is if they know that person is top 15%.

Besides, if they regularly interview at your new school, which I'm assuming they do if they are going to OCI, then they likely are aware of the school's scale already.

You don't think there's any chance that employers will have my resume next to one with a 3.66 GPA at my new school and quickly think: "Well they have the same GPA, but this one was at a better school so we're going to pick him" without looking at the class rank and without realizing that it was easier numerically (givwen that they had the possibility of getting A+s) to get the same GPA at the new school?

Aston2412

Postby Aston2412 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:27 pm

bceagles182 wrote:
You don't think there's any chance that employers will have my resume next to one with a 3.66 GPA at my new school and quickly think: "Well they have the same GPA, but this one was at a better school so we're going to pick him" without looking at the class rank and without realizing that it was easier numerically (givwen that they had the possibility of getting A+s) to get the same GPA at the new school?

I don't think there's any chance of that at all. You're 3.66 means NOTHING next to any grade at any other school. Your 3.66 only has relevance against the people you obtained it against.

If law school grading wasn't done based around a strict curve (ie if everyone who got 98% of the material on a given test received an A) then you would be more right. But as it is, you're graded directly against the people you test with (ie 98% of the material could still get you a C if everyone else got 98.1% or higher).

NE1410S

Postby NE1410S » Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:03 pm

I transferred and went though OCI at my new school last year. List your GPA and class rank under your old school. Don't compare it to your new school (if it comes up in an interview you can to talk to it).

The rank is the only thing that truly matters. Recruiters are smart enough to know that different schools have different curves. Recruiters do this for a living and are often law school graduates. I know you are worried about this, but this is truly a non-issue.

Once you get a GPA from your new school (assuming that it's good), you should consider deleting your old school from your resume to save space for other activities. Recruiters will still see that you transferred from your transcript but that is a talking point for an interview.

mths

Postby mths » Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:08 pm

bceagles182 wrote:My point is that if an employer sees two resumes:

1. GPA 3.66/4.0 (top 7%)

My chances of being picked would seem to increase if they realized that #2 was out of a 4.3 scale. I know that the class rank helps somewhat, but I feel like the /4.3 helps me as well -- but nobody is going to put /4.3 on their resume

why did you transfer to a slightly higher ranked school?

NE1410S

Postby NE1410S » Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:12 pm

mths wrote:
bceagles182 wrote:My point is that if an employer sees two resumes:

1. GPA 3.66/4.0 (top 7%)

why did you transfer to a slightly higher ranked school?

This is a question you need to be able to answer. Every recruiter will ask you this.

Return to “Legal Employment”