3L market ties

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

3L market ties

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:11 pm

During 2L OCI, I foolishly focused on a market that I really wanted to be in, but to which I had no ties. I struck out, naturally. Instead of trying to find a Biglaw job elsewhere (which I had the grades to do), I reached out to smaller firms in the city that I wanted. I ended up getting a job, but with the caveat that there wouldn't be a permanent offer. So 3L OCI and mass mailing it is, with the realization that the odds are against 3Ls in general.

Is this one summer spent working in the city enough to establish a tie to the market? Does it say something about my commitment to the area that instead of getting Biglaw somewhere, I chose to work for less pay and no chance of an offer just for the sake of being here? (Which is not to say that my job is bad; it's at a decently sized and well-respected firm.) Or is this still not enough? Should I start proposing to random people on the street so that I can say that my fiance(e) lives here?

I also realize that I need to cast a wide net -- after all, employment in any city beats unemployment in the city where you want to be. However, when I look for jobs in markets where I actually have ties, will I get raised eyebrows because I spent my 2L summer elsewhere? Even with legitimate ties such as immediate family, how do I explain leaving for the summer?

lawfirmrecruiter

Re: 3L market ties

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:During 2L OCI, I foolishly focused on a market that I really wanted to be in, but to which I had no ties. I struck out, naturally. Instead of trying to find a Biglaw job elsewhere (which I had the grades to do), I reached out to smaller firms in the city that I wanted. I ended up getting a job, but with the caveat that there wouldn't be a permanent offer. So 3L OCI and mass mailing it is, with the realization that the odds are against 3Ls in general.

Is this one summer spent working in the city enough to establish a tie to the market? Does it say something about my commitment to the area that instead of getting Biglaw somewhere, I chose to work for less pay and no chance of an offer just for the sake of being here? (Which is not to say that my job is bad; it's at a decently sized and well-respected firm.) Or is this still not enough? Should I start proposing to random people on the street so that I can say that my fiance(e) lives here?

I also realize that I need to cast a wide net -- after all, employment in any city beats unemployment in the city where you want to be. However, when I look for jobs in markets where I actually have ties, will I get raised eyebrows because I spent my 2L summer elsewhere? Even with legitimate ties such as immediate family, how do I explain leaving for the summer?

First of all, it wasn't foolish to focus your efforts on the market you really wanted. You at least ended up with employment, got some experience and have made some new connections. Since you don't have the pressure of your summer job being a try out for full time employment, I suggest shamelessly using the attorneys you work with to help you find a permenant spot.

Our firm only hires 3Ls now and we do not have any problems with candidates summering elsewhere. In fact, in some ways it is a plus. It gives you something to compare us to and you have gotten a head start on training.

You or any 3L looking for an opportunity should PM me and I will give you more advice/details.

Return to “Legal Employment”