Northwestern's 2 yr JD -How much of a disadvantage for OCI?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
moose

Northwestern's 2 yr JD -How much of a disadvantage for OCI?

Postby moose » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:53 am

I'm thinking about applying,...but only 1 term's worth of grades by the time OCI's come around. Is there feedback on how this has been working?

bdubs

Re: Northwestern's 2 yr JD -How much of a disadvantage for OCI?

Postby bdubs » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:59 am

Heard mixed reviews from people. I heard that candidates had to sell the program along with themselves, so the results were less predictable. I think most of the people also have significant WE too.

What is your reason for wanting to do the 2 year program? The cost differences (aside from opportunity cost) are minimal, and the opportunity cost is difficult to calculate without knowing exactly what you're giving up on the recruiting front.

ETA: I think you don't know what your grades will be when bidding for OCI, so that complicates it even further.

moose

Postby moose » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:11 pm

bdubs wrote:Heard mixed reviews from people. I heard that candidates had to sell the program along with themselves, so the results were less predictable. I think most of the people also have significant WE too.

What is your reason for wanting to do the 2 year program? The cost differences (aside from opportunity cost) are minimal, and the opportunity cost is difficult to calculate without knowing exactly what you're giving up on the recruiting front.

ETA: I think you don't know what your grades will be when bidding for OCI, so that complicates it even further.

I have almost 5 years WE. I'm 29. 3 years is just too long for me.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:18 pm

moose wrote:
bdubs wrote:Heard mixed reviews from people. I heard that candidates had to sell the program along with themselves, so the results were less predictable. I think most of the people also have significant WE too.

Do you want biglaw?

Does your WE have any relationship to a practice area? Do you have contacts?

Postby 09042014 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:23 pm

First of all NW has a 2 year JD and an AJD program. I assume you mean the later, but the former is a program for LLB's from other nations to get a real JD in two years.

Back to the topic- I've heard wildly different rumors on their placement. Some claim they do worse, some say they do better.

I probably wouldn't have done it if I wasn't looking for IP, because the major patent fair happens before their semester even ends.

moose

Postby moose » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:49 pm

bdubs wrote:
moose wrote:

Do you want biglaw?

Does your WE have any relationship to a practice area? Do you have contacts?

Yes, kind of, and no.

My jobs have included transactional work so I have experience doing due diligience, particularly in my first job I had to underwrite REIT deals very closely with outside counsel and tight turnaround schedule. It also included servicing the clients and project management. Particularly on the transactional side I would say it closely resembled a biglaw type work commitment. For e.g. 4-6 weeks turn arounds on deals. Which meant staying in the office until 10pm at night regularly to complete the job. In my current position I deal with securities disclosure, working closely with legal again. I specialize in real estate finance. As far as big law, i don't have many contacts. But I feel I interview well and have some skills.
Last edited by moose on Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 09042014 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:53 pm

IMO they fucked up the program from the start because there just isn't a huge market for people who need JDs just for their job, can take off 2 years, and have elite law qualifications.

If they offered a part time program, I would have taken it.

moose

Postby moose » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:56 pm

Desert Fox wrote:IMO they fucked up the program from the start because there just isn't a huge market for people who need JDs just for their job, can take off 2 years, and have elite law qualifications.

So you passed it up because you wanted to do IP and the IP fair was before 1st term finals? Do i understand that correct? You couldn't land an IP job at OCI?

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:59 pm

moose wrote:My jobs have included transactional work so I have experience doing due diligience, particularly in my first job I had to underwrite REIT deals very closely with outside counsel and tight turnaround schedule. It also included servicing the clients and project management. Particularly on the transactional side I would say it closely resembled a biglaw type work commitment. For e.g. 4-6 weeks turn arounds on deals. Which meant staying in the office until 10pm at night regularly to complete the job. In my current position I deal with securities disclosure, working closely with legal again. I specialize in real estate finance. As far as big law, i don't have many contacts. But I feel I interview well and have some skills.

Well if you want a JD in 2 years, NU is your only option. Is it a bigger risk than the 3 year program? Yes.

What is your alternative? b-school, keep working?

I don't see a really convincing story to drop $200k on law school from what you've said, but that is just my opinion.

Postby 09042014 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:02 pm

moose wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:IMO they fucked up the program from the start because there just isn't a huge market for people who need JDs just for their job, can take off 2 years, and have elite law qualifications.

So you passed it up because you wanted to do IP and the IP fair was before 1st term finals? Do i understand that correct? You couldn't land an IP job at OCI?

If I had gotten good grades I would have had no problem at OCI, but if I got poor grades the IP fair doubles your chances at getting a firm job.

For a regular applicant it's probably not a big deal.

Also someone with a great tech background (good engineering GPA, work Ex) probably would kick ass at the IP fair even without any law grades. But my tech background is TTT.

moose

Postby moose » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:13 pm

bdubs wrote:
moose wrote:My jobs have included transactional work so I have experience doing due diligience, particularly in my first job I had to underwrite REIT deals very closely with outside counsel and tight turnaround schedule. It also included servicing the clients and project management. Particularly on the transactional side I would say it closely resembled a biglaw type work commitment. For e.g. 4-6 weeks turn arounds on deals. Which meant staying in the office until 10pm at night regularly to complete the job. In my current position I deal with securities disclosure, working closely with legal again. I specialize in real estate finance. As far as big law, i don't have many contacts. But I feel I interview well and have some skills.

Well if you want a JD in 2 years, NU is your only option. Is it a bigger risk than the 3 year program? Yes.

I don't see a really convincing story to drop $200k on law school from what you've said, but that is just my opinion.

Time is money my friend. To me, 3yrs vs 2 yrs is huge. Other option is B school. I also plan on applying this fall for that. Interesting thing is that NU 2 yr jd accepts GMAT in lieu of LSAT.
Last edited by moose on Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 09042014 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:15 pm

Go find the Class of 2012 AJD thread on TLS and Pm some of the guys there. They are pretty helpful.

moose

Postby moose » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:16 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Go find the Class of 2012 AJD thread on TLS and Pm some of the guys there. They are pretty helpful.

Good idea. Thanks.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:29 pm

moose wrote:
bdubs wrote:

Time is money my friend. To me, 3yrs vs 2 yrs is huge. Other option is B school. I also plan on applying this fall for that. Interesting thing is that NU 2 yr jd accepts GMAT in lieu of LSAT.

I'm with you on the extra year, it sounds painful. The problem with legal recruiting though is that it is somewhat of a one shot deal, your chances of ending up with a good job if you strike out at OCI are really small.

You could you enroll in the AJD and then drop out if you didn't get an SA, but even that is a decent sized gamble. You are guaranteed to sink 9 months or so and ~$75,000. If you do end up getting into an M7 business school, i'd say that is a better bet.

Return to “Legal Employment”