Take Transfer School off Resume for 3l OCI

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Take Transfer School off Resume for 3l OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:16 am

My school said that it is ok to take the transfer school off of our resume for 3l OCI, but cautioned that firms may find this misleading. During an informational meeting with a v10 hiring partner he said to take it off.
FYI: grades at my old school were solid not too impressive, and my transcript still denotes that I transferred.

My thinking is: I would rather get an interview and explain that I transfred during the interview than potentially lose out on an interview because of it.

What does the TSL wisdom say??

Aston2412

Re: Take Transfer School off Resume for 3l OCI

Postby Aston2412 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:29 am

I think it might depend slightly on where you left and where you wound up.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:31 am

It would be misleading, in my opinion, to leave your pre-transfer law school off of your resume especially since your study there was within the past two years. Consider noting your pre-transfer law school with your class rank (e.g., top 5% & invited to join the Toledo Law Review) & major honors.

For What It Is Worth: Some NYC area legal recruiters/head hunters with whom I communicated a few years ago seemed more concerned with law school rank & prestige than did actual hiring firms. I found this interesting since they only dealt & deal with experienced attorneys who have professional references that should trump law school(s) attended.

emoticons777

Postby emoticons777 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:14 pm

I moved my transfer section under my new school's heading. This minimized it, but was honest.

New School, Location, Degree Date
GPA: X.X
Journal: XX
Activities: XX
Transfer: Old School, Location (Dates)
__[tab]_ GPA: X.X, Invited to Join Law Review

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:08 pm

I removed my old school, once I had the new school's GPA. I don't feel it dishonest since the GPA and school is listed as per my transcript of the degree granting instituion.

My past experience with the listing of both schools tended to confuse people since the transfer game is only a relatively new phenomenon. I have also noticed there is a split among school career offices on whether to leave it on or take it off.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ToTransferOrNot

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:12 pm

I'm in the "it's dishonest to take it off until you're fairly removed from school" camp. I just have one bullet-point under my 2L/3L school: "Completed first-year studies at XX in the top xx% of the class"

Return to “Legal Employment”