bidding strategy for mixed pre-select/lotto 70/30

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Headybrah

bidding strategy for mixed pre-select/lotto 70/30

Postby Headybrah » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:52 pm

Top 20% at BU

Not sure what sort of strategy I should be using for an OCI program that is 70% pre-select and 30% lotto.
Do I rank the hardest/most selective ones first or
the ones that are most likely to hire me or
the one I want the most (ie they have robust practice in field I am interested in) or
the ones with the biggest classes?

Any advice?

Do I stand a decent shot at most firms except the most selective?

What do you think are the most important types of firms to rank high for this kind of system?

Will be focusing on Boston and NY

Our off campus programs are 100% preselect and will be doing the LA, Mia, NY, Philly programs. Decent ties to all places if I stretch and have fam and lived in all the above areas.

Headybrah

Re: bidding strategy for mixed pre-select/lotto 70/30

Postby Headybrah » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:31 am

Anyone?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:41 pm

How many bids do you get, and how many of the employers are you actually interested in working at?

Headybrah

Postby Headybrah » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:30 pm

40 bids. Would love to work at 20 of them...

Thanks for.the help

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:45 pm

I will start out by saying I am at WUSTL and we also use 70% pre select and 30% lottery. I will just talk about the way I am bidding. First of all be basically we have enough bids to bid on every firm we want. Because of this I don’t think it necessarily makes sense to put the best firms at the bottom of your list because basically everyone will be bidding on all of the firms. It is not like t14 where people can put the best firms at the bottom of their list knowing many students won’t bid on those firms, and therefore they can still get those firms through lottery. I did my research and I ranked my firms in order of the law firms that hired students from WUSTL from 2010 (the data I had.) For firms that had multiple offices I went to that firms website and looked what offices were actually hiring the most students from my school. This is important because some firms claim to be recruiting from like 10 different offices, but when you look at their website the bulk of the people from WUSTL be hired by one office. Obviously I would bid on the office that hired the most people.

Other things to consider about the lottery is I know at WUSTL it takes into consideration how many pre selects you have in determining how many lottery firms you will get. Based on you good grades, if the lottery system is run the same way you are probably only looking at about three lottery firms. And of course rankings only matter for the lottery system, it doesn’t have any effect on the preselect process. Good luck.

Return to “Legal Employment”