Help from current internship?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Help from current internship?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:38 am

1L summer is at a large corporation in their legal department. They work with some larger firms for litigation issues.

I was wondering how appropriate it would be to ask those people who work closely with these firms for contacts to score interviews. How would one go about asking something like this? Are such results usually fruitful?

Thanks for the help!

Anonymous User

Re: Help from current internship?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:24 pm

bump.. anyone??

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:44 pm

Posted pretty much the same question a few weeks ago. 0 replies to that as well.

OP, seems like we're in an unusual situation - honestly, I don't think there are many TLSers (or law students in general, for that matter) working in-house this summer, at least not relative to those working for a judge, firm, agency, or nonprofit. But I'll be trying to wrangle a non-OCI callback at my company's principal outside counsel (V100 firm) - the attorneys I've been working with seem to think that as long-time clients of *V100*, if they put my name out there then *V100* will at least give me a serious look. Which, honestly, is all I can ask for.

I'd recommend sitting down with whatever in-house attorney(s) you're working most closely with in the next week or two and say something like:
"I've really enjoyed working here so far, industry X seems like it has some interesting legal wrinkles. OCI/mailing season is coming up, and I wanted to get your thoughts on which firms have the strongest practice groups for industry X - I want to build on my experience from this summer, and I was hoping you'd have some ideas on how to do that."

With any luck, you'll wind up with (in descending order of usefulness):
1. A client reference that gets you into a firm that your company hires regularly.
2. A reference to other firms that have relevant expertise - for instance, there's a very good chance that some of the in-house attorneys you work with came from Biglaw, and they probably still have friends/contacts working at their old firm - it wouldn't be the same as a client reference, but might still get your foot in the door.
3. A useful list of the firms that do relevant work, so you can structure your bid list or mailings to try and leverage your 1L summer into getting a 2L offer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:14 pm

Thanks for the response! I'll probably meet with a few of the attorneys before I leave and let them know that I'm interested in XYZ firms and ask if they know anyone there that I could contact directly. Everyone has been pretty helpful and willing to help so hopefully I can get some good contacts through them at law firms.

Most of the firms I've contacted independently have commented on my 1L summer position and how it's a great place to be as a 1L, so I hope our unusual situation turns out to be advantageous.

Good luck to you in your efforts for next summer!

Return to “Legal Employment”