Seward & Kissel info?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
IrwinM.Fletcher

Re: Seward & Kissel info?

Postby IrwinM.Fletcher » Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:47 pm

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:At GULC, the median GPA for a student given an offer is 3.05 and the maximum GPA for a student given an offer is 3.26.

edited to add that median is around 3.3 here.

This is pretty frustrating to hear, seeing how they refused to interview me on my own dime with a top 5% rank from a non-NYC area T1 and several years of work experience in their target industry.

Prestige whores, I suppose.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:At Michigan, the median GPA for a student given an offer by Seward is 3.07. That's bottom third or so? They have given an offer to somebody with around a 2.8. Not even sure what that would be. Bottom 10%? Bottom 5%?

My T14 doesn't have such info - yikes. Would you mind sharing what other firms make offers to students with below median GPAS at Mich or Gulc?

Do you want the lowest GPA given an offer or the median GPA? Firms like Cravath and Cleary have taken people around the median zone. Not sure how much that's going to help you. I can throw out some more firm names whose median offer candidate is below median.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:25 pm

Do you happen to know of firms that have given offers in the 2.8-3.05 range, and firms that give callbacks to students in that range? I also go to a T14 but they don't offer this kind of information either

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:At the wustl/vandy New York Job Fair the grade cut off is top 10%, and no other firms have a higher grade cut off at the Job Fair.

I will bet some dolla bills that they will interview people outside that grade range.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:At Michigan, the median GPA for a student given an offer by Seward is 3.07. That's bottom third or so? They have given an offer to somebody with around a 2.8. Not even sure what that would be. Bottom 10%? Bottom 5%?

My T14 doesn't have such info - yikes. Would you mind sharing what other firms make offers to students with below median GPAS at Mich or Gulc?

Do you want the lowest GPA given an offer or the median GPA? Firms like Cravath and Cleary have taken people around the median zone. Not sure how much that's going to help you. I can throw out some more firm names whose median offer candidate is below median.

Sure, that would be very helpful.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Sure, that would be very helpful.

Firms who make the majority of their offers to below-median students:

Briggs & Morgan
Calfee Halter
Dinsmore & Shohl
Fitzpatrick Cella
Foster Pepper
Foster Swift
Fraser Trebilcock
Frost Brown
Greenberg Traurig
Howard & Howard
Kerr Russell
Mayer Brown - New York
Nixon Peabody
Schnader Harrison
Schulte Roth
Schwabe Williamson
Seward & Kissel
Sullivan & Worchester
Taft Stettinius
Thompson Hine
Vorys Sater
Winstead

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:06 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Firms who make the majority of their offers to below-median students:

Mayer Brown - New York
Nixon Peabody

Nice! Is that applicable to Nixon Peabody as a whole or just their New York office? I'm looking for Boston specifically.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:55 am

GULC Data
Firms from NY and DC who make the majority of their offers to below-median students:

Alston & Bird (DC)
Baker & McKenzie (DC)
Baker Hostetler (DC)
Bryan Cave (DC)
Cadwalader, Wickersham & Taft (DC)
Chadbourne & Parke (DC)
Dewey & LeBoeuf (DC)
Dickstein Shapiro (DC)
Holland & Knight (DC)
Hollingsworth (DC)
Kaye Scholer (DC)
Keller and Heckman (DC)
Kelley Drye & Warren (DC)
McKenna Long & Aldridge (DC)
Nixon Peabody (DC)
Reed Smith (DC)
Sutherland (DC)
Venable (DC)
Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld (NY)
Baker & McKenzie (NY)
Bingham McCutchen (NY)
Chadbourne & Parke (NY)
Clifford Chance (NY)
Curtis, Mallet-Prevost, Colt & Mosle (NY)
DLA Piper (NY)
Kelley Drye & Warren (NY)
Linklaters (NY)
Mayer Brown (NY)
McDermott Will & Emery (NY)
Morgan, Lewis & Bockius (NY)
Otterbourg, Steindler, Houston & Rosen (NY)
Schulte Roth & Zabel (NY)
Seward & Kissel (NY)
Winston & Strawn (NY)

edited to add- these are firms whose median offer is below 3.3

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:14 am

Anonymous User wrote:GULC Data
Firms from NY and DC who make the majority of their offers to below-median students:

Alston & Bird (DC)
Baker & McKenzie (DC)
Baker Hostetler (DC)
Bryan Cave (DC)
Cadwalader, Wickersham & Taft (DC)
Chadbourne & Parke (DC)
Dewey & LeBoeuf (DC)
Dickstein Shapiro (DC)
Holland & Knight (DC)
Hollingsworth (DC)
Kaye Scholer (DC)
Keller and Heckman (DC)
Kelley Drye & Warren (DC)
McKenna Long & Aldridge (DC)
Nixon Peabody (DC)
Reed Smith (DC)
Sutherland (DC)
Venable (DC)
Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld (NY)
Baker & McKenzie (NY)
Bingham McCutchen (NY)
Chadbourne & Parke (NY)
Clifford Chance (NY)
Curtis, Mallet-Prevost, Colt & Mosle (NY)
DLA Piper (NY)
Kelley Drye & Warren (NY)
Linklaters (NY)
Mayer Brown (NY)
McDermott Will & Emery (NY)
Morgan, Lewis & Bockius (NY)
Otterbourg, Steindler, Houston & Rosen (NY)
Schulte Roth & Zabel (NY)
Seward & Kissel (NY)
Winston & Strawn (NY)

edited to add- these are firms whose median offer is below 3.3

This is awesome - I wish my career services kept this sort of stuff.

Think this type of thing is worth a designated thread?

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:50 am

rad law wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:At my T25, they require top 20% and prefer some law journal or moot court experience. I'm not sure how you would scale that to MVP, but I guess you can assume that their cutoff for you would be 20% or higher. My guess is that, if it is top 20% required at a T25, its likely top 1/3 or so at MVP.

1. What the firm says their cutoff is and what they actually hire from is not the same thing. They may hire top third, or top 5%.

2. Trying to scale in this way is pretty silly but I think you knew that.

Also, a firm that hires top 20% at T25 is probably dipping below median at MVP. There's a huge difference in placement between Penn and Iowa, for example.

Aston2412

Postby Aston2412 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:23 am

RVP11 wrote:
Also, a firm that hires top 20% at T25 is probably dipping below median at MVP. There's a huge difference in placement between Penn and Iowa, for example.

This is true, but it still shows to some extent that the firm is not a complete grade whore. It seems logically that a below median student at a T25 school would still have a better shot there than at other firms that only offered above median at MVP. That shot may still be small, but it should be relatively larger than at those more selective firms.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:57 am

f7 wrote:

Aren't the numbers from Mich averaged over like 5 years, and thus wildly inaccuarate for ITE?

Probably inaccurate, yes. It includes all of the OCIs from 2006-2010. So some (one?) spectacularly good year(s) and some spectacularly awful years. OCI in 2007 was the first year that everything went to hell, no?

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
f7 wrote:

Aren't the numbers from Mich averaged over like 5 years, and thus wildly inaccuarate for ITE?

Probably inaccurate, yes. It includes all of the OCIs from 2006-2010. So some (one?) spectacularly good year(s) and some spectacularly awful years. OCI in 2007 was the first year that everything went to hell, no?

Things weren't really bad until OCI in 2009. A lot of firms really haven't gotten that much more selective based on grades, though - just a lot more selective within their traditional grade ranges.

Aston2412

Postby Aston2412 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:07 pm

Everyone I know that did reasonably well and who went through OCI in 2008 is gainfully employed - everyone that wanted BigLaw having gotten BigLaw.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:54 pm

Aston2412 wrote:Everyone I know that did reasonably well and who went through OCI in 2008 is gainfully employed - everyone that wanted BigLaw having gotten BigLaw.

CHECK YOU REPRESENTATIVE SAMPLE

Aston2412

Postby Aston2412 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:04 pm

rad law wrote:
Aston2412 wrote:Everyone I know that did reasonably well and who went through OCI in 2008 is gainfully employed - everyone that wanted BigLaw having gotten BigLaw.

I said reasonably well. We're talking some people top 30% w/ Law Review, we're talking some people top 15% without Law Review and we're talking top 40% without Law Review.

If you're referring to the fact that it was '08, I know that. I was making this statement in reference to the earlier comment on '08.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:07 pm

Aston2412 wrote:
rad law wrote:

I said reasonably well. We're talking some people top 30% w/ Law Review, we're talking some people top 15% without Law Review and we're talking top 40% without Law Review.

If you're referring to the fact that it was '08, I know that. I was making this statement in reference to the earlier comment on '08.

I guess I was referring more to specific markets, though I wasn't clear in the least. If all those people you know had instead gotten job in Atlanta that year probably 60% of them would have gotten no-offered.

Aston2412

Postby Aston2412 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:33 pm

rad law wrote:I guess I was referring more to specific markets, though I wasn't clear in the least. If all those people you know had instead gotten job in Atlanta that year probably 60% of them would have gotten no-offered.

I'll do you one better. They're all employed in the "ultra-competitive" market of D.C.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:06 pm

Aston2412 wrote:
rad law wrote:I guess I was referring more to specific markets, though I wasn't clear in the least. If all those people you know had instead gotten job in Atlanta that year probably 60% of them would have gotten no-offered.

I'll do you one better. They're all employed in the "ultra-competitive" market of D.C.

Lucky them. Weathered the storm comparatively well.

Return to “Legal Employment”