help! bad grade, gpa shot

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
anonymcoffee

help! bad grade, gpa shot

Postby anonymcoffee » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:06 am

this is a rant/depression/what do I do...

So I received my final grades and got a C - gpa is shot 3.1 at GW - where does that put me? am i in the bottom? Im not sure but I think the average may be a 3.3 here, if anyone knows better

I've gotten bs and B+s and an A this semester so I am freaking out this is the lowest grade i've ever gotten. I don't know what to do...scrap applying to OCI? where should I focus? ideas what I should do about this grade?

Aqualibrium

Re: help! bad grade, gpa shot

Postby Aqualibrium » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:14 am

What's median at GW? I'm guessing it's 3.2-3.3?

Aston2412

Postby Aston2412 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:18 am

I hear median is 3.2. I've heard it from multiple sources but not an official one. That said, I'm also not sure what the distribution looks like (ie how far below median you are).

Moreover you should definitely still do OCI, especially if you have strong softs, are an IP candidate or a URM. You should have already done a lot of the work required for OCI so it would be silly not to see it through.

anonymcoffee

Postby anonymcoffee » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:25 am

I'm so discouraged about OCI ...we have mostly big firms coming so not sure ...do firms even interview people with such a low gpa? and I thought my chances were low at 3.2.

Is there anything I can do to change the grade or the gpa...prior to frp? talk to professor? anything?? Actually, I have another grade coming in but not before bidding ends, should I bid with my transcript now and then email them the new updated transcript?

Aston2412

Postby Aston2412 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:31 am

For clarification, I'm also at GW. Your chances may be low at 3.2 but what else do you have to do during August?

If you want to try and work in BigLaw, is the name of the game. In addition to OCI you'll need to individually write firms in the markets you're interested in.

I don't know anything about the protocol for seeking review on a grade - though I imagine getting a professor to change his grade is an uphill battle - moreso than getting screening interviews below median.

Is your other grade the result of a summer class?

anonymcoffee

Postby anonymcoffee » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:38 am

No....it's a 4 credit semester class. I am taking a summer class now, I know I'll do good - like I knew in the classes I felt good and got A's in. I knew this class would be bad but damn...nothing like a C to make you feel worthless. I guess I'll finish working for OCI w/ cover letters, research firms, etc. but there is no motivation.

Aston2412

Postby Aston2412 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:04 am

Motivation? How's $135,000+ a year, bonuses and a partnership track sound?

anonymcoffee

Postby anonymcoffee » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:32 am

sounds good but it's just a form of torture if one thinks realistically - 3.1 gpa, school ranked 20, a C grade = no real chance....but I'll try. thanks for the advice! it was such a shock to see it ....

Aston2412

Postby Aston2412 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:47 am

I mean a 3.1 at GW isn't a great position to be in. But you go to a T20. It's not like GW is a bad school - not by any means.

What are you doing for summer employment?

Besides, GW has lots of recruiters coming to OCI. Best thing you can do is apply to firms that have low GPA requirements. Also, you'll want to get your NY Regional bids (if you're interested in NY) locked in soon. I think the bidding deadline for NY Regional is the 15th.

worldtraveler

Postby worldtraveler » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:57 am

anonymcoffee wrote:No....it's a 4 credit semester class. I am taking a summer class now, I know I'll do good - like I knew in the classes I felt good and got A's in. I knew this class would be bad but damn...nothing like a C to make you feel worthless. I guess I'll finish working for OCI w/ cover letters, research firms, etc. but there is no motivation.

:?

Return to “Legal Employment”