"trading up" at 3L OCI? Worth it?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

"trading up" at 3L OCI? Worth it?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:54 pm

Background: I am a rising 3L at a t10. I was slightly below median at 2L OCI and now am slightly above. Board member of secondary journal.

I didn't do too well at OCI in terms of callbacks, but managed to convert those callbacks I did get into offers. I am working at a major firm in a secondary market (non-Vault but NLJ100). I would say it's known to all in this market but not nationally.

Another firm in the city is coming to my school's OCI and hiring 3Ls. It's better pay, a national name (V100), its home office, and one of only two firms I wanted ahead of my current one. The downside is that it has a bad reputation for work-life balance.

I am really torn. I love the firm I'm at and am confident I will get an offer. But I feel like I will have this lingering feeling if I don't try for the other firm, almost like I'm a bridesmaid but not the bride in terms of being a lawyer in this city. There is also a chance I may move to NY/DC for my SO, so a national name that can carry me elsewhere is somewhat important at this point. So I a few questions:

1.) Thoughts? Am I just selling out to shoot for a brighter name for my resume? Should I just be happy with what I have?
2.) Do the recruiters talk? Will I be found out at my current firm for interviewing elsewhere? Will there be any repercussions?

Anonymous User

Re: "trading up" at 3L OCI? Worth it?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:29 pm

If you're in a position to strengthen your resume and better your career, why not try for it? The firm you are at now can replace you....I promise you this. Law students are a dime a dozen. They are not going to get hung up on the fact that you rejected them. Try for the other firm you're interested in. If you get a callback, test it out and see if you like the atmosphere. If not, you always have your original firm. But I think it's worth at least trying.

Return to “Legal Employment”