Transfer-friendly Firms

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
dead head

Re: Transfer-friendly Firms

Postby dead head » Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:12 am

TooOld4This wrote:If a firm would not consider taking someone from your old school, they aren't likely to take a transfer from that school. The transfer advantage is logistical. Firms don't spend the resources to go to schools where they are only interested in 1-5 students and mass mailing is not as effective as a screener. But if you were able to transfer even though your 1L rank was lower than what firms would normally consider from that school, I would bid conservatively. You might get some screeners who assume your rank was higher because you were able to transfer, but I would not count on it.

While I largely agree, I think there may be a small bump along the lines of what one gets for law review. I mean, both law review and transferring are most valuable as proxies for grades, but also indicate a certain amount of gunnerism and prestige chasing, both of which are valued by firms.

Anonymous User

Re: Transfer-friendly Firms

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:33 pm

TooOld4This wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

The fact that you were top of your class at your old school is the evidence that you proved yourself, not the fact that a higher ranked school is happy to take your money. If a firm would not consider taking someone from your old school, they aren't likely to take a transfer from that school. The transfer advantage is logistical. Firms don't spend the resources to go to schools where they are only interested in 1-5 students and mass mailing is not as effective as a screener. But if you were able to transfer even though your 1L rank was lower than what firms would normally consider from that school, I would bid conservatively. You might get some screeners who assume your rank was higher because you were able to transfer, but I would not count on it.

I am a T2 transfer to a T14. My class rank at T2 was below the cut off to even do oci at t2. Multiple v25 offers from firms that don't even do OCI at my old T2.

Return to “Legal Employment”