SA Jobs in Small Markets

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
BoriquaEsquire

SA Jobs in Small Markets

Postby BoriquaEsquire » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:58 pm

Hey,

So I'm currently a rising 2L at NYU Law with a B/B- average (I know, not great). I'm a URM and have a UG degree from Princeton. I have a year of experience in international relations/criminal law as a paralegal and I have two pretty impressive UG summer internships.

This summer I'm working in the division of oil, gas, & mining of the state Department of Law in Juneau, Alaska. I absolutely love the state and the office and my job. I've come to love energy/natural resources law and I think that's what I want to do.

I bid on a bunch of TX firms for EIW because almost all of them have an energy law practice. However, I would not mind doing government or private work in a smaller state market like Montana, Wyoming, Pennsylvania, West Virginia, Alaska, etc. (the basic oil/natural resources states). I'm also incredibly interested in Native American/Tribal law and I've networked with several attorneys here who practice in the field. So, Alaska, Wyoming, and Montana and possibly Texas would be the states I'm most interested in right now.

NYU doesn't really afford us a lot of opportunities to break into these markets and I can imagine that (with the exception of Alaska, which doesn't have a law school) the markets are pretty insular and draw 99% of their working attorneys from schools in-state. Except for this job, I have NO TIES to the Western United States. I'm going to ask the Assistant Attorneys General that I currently work under for recommendations and references, but that's literally my only connection to the West.

Obviously, I'm going back to NYU in the fall and have to start the SA job search right away. How would you go about possibly breaking into these markets from across the country and securing a SA job there? I'm definitely going to do some mass emails, but there has to be something more direct/creative than that.

thesealocust

Re: SA Jobs in Small Markets

Postby thesealocust » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:03 pm

Nope, you just send them letters. Not much else you can do. You could "network" but that's hard to do from a country away, neh?

Return to “Legal Employment”