URMs & Firm Employment Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
timbs4339

Gold

Re: URMs & Firm Employment

Post by timbs4339 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:46 am

GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:i think we should distinguish wlrk's 1l program from their actual 2l summer program. i know they regularly take below median urms for the former, but participants arent allowed to even interview for the 2l program.

one of my good friends last year (aa male) here at hls had 8 hs and got an offer from w&c but not wachtell.
Wait, really?

I thought those lucky enough to work at Wachtell for 1L summer are not given offers, but we're still considered for a 2L SA?

Regardless of whether they are or not, having Wachtell on your resume for OCI is a big plus and will certainly help in landing a callback with other elite firms.
I know my friend was offered a 2L position after 1L SA but turned it down to work for another firm. Still has an offer to come back after graduation though.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Know peeps at my T10 who were bottom 10% get hired at NJL 250s. Same with those with the top of the class. Depends on factors, how you interview, how you bid, etc.
I wish it were proportional so that T20 could be bottom 20% . . . a nice thought until you realize it isn't true. :lol:

anteater85

New

Post by anteater85 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:03 pm

I know that Asians Americans do not count as URM for law schools, but do they get a boost in OCI/firm hiring for firms that look for "diversity?" Does this depend on region?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Know peeps at my T10 who were bottom 10% get hired at NJL 250s. Same with those with the top of the class. Depends on factors, how you interview, how you bid, etc.
I wish it were proportional so that T20 could be bottom 20% . . . a nice thought until you realize it isn't true. :lol:
Have you seen the hard data? Idk about T20, but for my T10, I have seen and talked to people with sub-3.0 gpas get firm jobs.

2011Cycle

Bronze

Post by 2011Cycle » Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:05 pm

anteater85 wrote:I know that Asians Americans do not count as URM for law schools, but do they get a boost in OCI/firm hiring for firms that look for "diversity?" Does this depend on region?
No, it does not depend on region. The attached links support my comment.
http://www.law.com/jsp/tal/PubArticleTA ... 2494725139
http://betterlegalprofession.org/

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Have you seen the hard data? Idk about T20, but for my T10, I have seen and talked to people with sub-3.0 gpas get firm jobs.
Well this is comforting! Apparently sometimes being discriminated against does pay dividends...

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:08 pm

2011Cycle wrote:
anteater85 wrote:I know that Asians Americans do not count as URM for law schools, but do they get a boost in OCI/firm hiring for firms that look for "diversity?" Does this depend on region?
No, it does not depend on region. The attached links support my comment.
http://www.law.com/jsp/tal/PubArticleTA ... 2494725139
http://betterlegalprofession.org/
I never thought of myself as a minority but I'm just gonna own it now.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
this was rare at the best of times and, in my experience, dried up completely for the classes of 11 and 12. By firm jobs do you just mean any job at any firm?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
this was rare at the best of times and, in my experience, dried up completely for the classes of 11 and 12. By firm jobs do you just mean any job at any firm?
firms

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:41 am

WHAT ABOUT at the diversity career fairs? Some of them make the GPA only a 2.5 as the min and get all the large firms to interview anyway. Any people done through these with sub-median/sub-3.0 grades and had success?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:52 am

Anonymous User wrote:WHAT ABOUT at the diversity career fairs? Some of them make the GPA only a 2.5 as the min and get all the large firms to interview anyway. Any people done through these with sub-median/sub-3.0 grades and had success?
gonna bump this...very interested as well.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:WHAT ABOUT at the diversity career fairs? Some of them make the GPA only a 2.5 as the min and get all the large firms to interview anyway. Any people done through these with sub-median/sub-3.0 grades and had success?
General rule is that interviewing at the job fair won't make you competitive if you weren't before, but more interviews is always a good things. You van use the fairs to supplement your OCI; more looks is always better.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:25 pm

rad law wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I got 0 callbacks with a 3.xx as an African-American student at a T1.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:28 pm

It's different with URMS with sub 3.0 GPAs but who go to t14s and apply to secondary markets.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
rad law wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Hardly tells us anything...too broad for anyone to judge.

baboon309

Bronze

Post by baboon309 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
rad law wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
0 out of how many?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:10 pm

baboon309 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: I got 0 callbacks with a 3.xx as an African-American student at a T1.
0 out of how many?
7 or 8 iirc

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:It's different with URMS with sub 3.0 GPAs but who go to t14s and apply to secondary markets.

Just to clarify. What would be considered a secondary market???

Moxie

Silver

Post by Moxie » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:It's different with URMS with sub 3.0 GPAs but who go to t14s and apply to secondary markets.

Just to clarify. What would be considered a secondary market???
Not DC, NYC, Chicago, or LA.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:29 pm

Are you speaking from first-hand experience ITE?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
First hand experience, as in talking to upperclassman and cso at my t14 school.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:47 pm

ALSO, how are people identifying themselves as URM candidates during OCI? Are you putting it in your cover letters or what? There is no real chance to do it otherwise. I wove mine into a cover letter just because I couldn't think of another way to get it out there. Anyone?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
First hand experience, as in talking to upperclassman and cso at my t14 school.
Opposite experience at mine but maybe you're in a higher T14 tier.

D-hops

Silver

Post by D-hops » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:ALSO, how are people identifying themselves as URM candidates during OCI? Are you putting it in your cover letters or what? There is no real chance to do it otherwise. I wove mine into a cover letter just because I couldn't think of another way to get it out there. Anyone?
Membership or leadership positions in a diverse student group (e.g. BLSA)

de5igual

Silver

Post by de5igual » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:ALSO, how are people identifying themselves as URM candidates during OCI? Are you putting it in your cover letters or what? There is no real chance to do it otherwise. I wove mine into a cover letter just because I couldn't think of another way to get it out there. Anyone?
Any URM or other minority with enough foresight would have joined one of the diversity organizations

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”