So you're not in the top 30% of your class...

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
truthypants

Re: So you're not in the top 30% of your class...

Postby truthypants » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:Where did this 30% number come from?

As OP, I chose 30% because practically all jobs that have preferences prefer top 10%, 20%, 25% or top 1/3rd. I didn't mean to imply that anyone higher than top 30% won't struggle as well...I just meant that for those of us on the lower end of the spectrum, our job hunt will be different than those who can rely on OCI.

I recognize that everyone except the lucky few who succeed at OCI will be mass mailing, networking, etc. as well. I just wanted to get the opinions of others like myself who will be applying at smaller firms and also do not have the traditional paths of 2L summer offers and OCI as avenues like you might.

For the poster who asked, I'm at a T80.

How many firms are even coming to your OCI? I'm guessing only a handful of employers are coming to your OCI and probably 95% of your class is gonna have to resort to mass-mail/networking. You shouldn't be alone.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:55 pm

In a position similar to OP. 3L, ~60%, T25, wrote-on LR. Are public interest fellowships and state agency positions realistically within my grasp? What can I do to grab the attention of these employers if I don't have a long record of public service?

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:59 pm

true--it's usually because of your school. These big firms really only want people that went to ivies

LOL at Ivies. Stanford sucks.

And in any case, the post is wrong. Mass mailers are discarded because of school, but if a firm comes to a school's OCI, they are not opposed to hiring people from that school. They may not hire anyone for that year or for three years, and they may only look at the top 5% or the top 5 people, but school is not the reason by itself.

Eco

Postby Eco » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:37 pm

GW Law seems to be doing better in terms of # of firms etc... coming to OCI this year? (I'm at GW Law). What's the general consensus on OCI at GW?

Return to “Legal Employment”