Student Assistant, start tomorrow, scared to death Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Student Assistant, start tomorrow, scared to death

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:21 pm

I start a student assistant like job at a local law firm tomorrow and I must say that I am scared. It has made me all shaky and stuff. I have not worked in over a year, and nothing like this. He said something about having me do something like a discovery or deposition (copying it or something - I don't remember exactly). Anyway, tomorrow is my first day and he's going to train me or something to do this. I am going there in the morning. What should I do? I have over 10 years of work experience, but fast food and general office duties. Nothing like this. Nothing like this at all. Halp!

thesealocust

Platinum

Re: Student Assistant, start tomorrow, scared to death

Post by thesealocust » Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:24 pm

Relax. They'll tell you everything you need to do and have low expectations. Ask about anything you need to know. Thousands have come before you and survived. Some nerves are understandable, but it's really not a big deal! You'll be fine.

Borhas

Platinum

Post by Borhas » Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I start a student assistant like job at a local law firm tomorrow and I must say that I am scared. It has made me all shaky and stuff. I have not worked in over a year, and nothing like this. He said something about having me do something like a discovery or deposition (copying it or something - I don't remember exactly). Anyway, tomorrow is my first day and he's going to train me or something to do this. I am going there in the morning. What should I do? I have over 10 years of work experience, but fast food and general office duties. Nothing like this. Nothing like this at all. Halp!
you'll probably be ok as long as you can read, and write/type
Last edited by Borhas on Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheFriendlyBarber

Bronze

Post by TheFriendlyBarber » Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I start a student assistant like job at a local law firm tomorrow and I must say that I am scared. It has made me all shaky and stuff. I have not worked in over a year, and nothing like this. He said something about having me do something like a discovery or deposition (copying it or something - I don't remember exactly). Anyway, tomorrow is my first day and he's going to train me or something to do this. I am going there in the morning. What should I do? I have over 10 years of work experience, but fast food and general office duties. Nothing like this. Nothing like this at all. Halp!
This probably means you'll be leading the deposition.

Moxie

Silver

Post by Moxie » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:46 pm

thesealocust wrote:Relax. They'll tell you everything you need to do and have low expectations. Ask about anything you need to know. Thousands have come before you and survived. Some nerves are understandable, but it's really not a big deal! You'll be fine.
+1 to thesealocust's advice. Calm down, they wouldn't have hired you if they didn't think you could do what they need.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”