Short Vacation During Stub Year: Career Suicide?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
gwuorbust

Re: Short Vacation During Stub Year: Career Suicide?

Postby gwuorbust » Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:57 am

I highly doubt in 5 years when the partners are considering if OP should make partner they'll say

"man, OP always gets the job done, stays late and spots the right issues for our clients. but remember five years ago when he had the nerve to be the best man at his lifelong friend's wedding! the nerve!! REJECTED!!!!!!"

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:27 pm

gwuorbust wrote:I highly doubt in 5 years when the partners are considering if OP should make partner they'll say

"man, OP always gets the job done, stays late and spots the right issues for our clients. but remember five years ago when he had the nerve to be the best man at his lifelong friend's wedding! the nerve!! REJECTED!!!!!!"

OP here again. You'd be surprised at what those decisions come down to. Don't forget the rising star senior S&C attorney who was passed over for partner because he drove a motorcycle to work.

Moxie

Postby Moxie » Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
gwuorbust wrote:I highly doubt in 5 years when the partners are considering if OP should make partner they'll say

OP here again. You'd be surprised at what those decisions come down to. Don't forget the rising star senior S&C attorney who was passed over for partner because he drove a motorcycle to work.

According to who?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:34 pm

Moxie wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

According to who?

Read, The Partners. Great book for anyone considering big law.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:37 pm

taking 5 days off during Christmas is THAT big of a deal, big lol indeed

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:26 pm

I read a blog post by a former biglaw recruiter-turned headhunter that said she had seen partners discuss how long someone had taken to accept their initial permanent offer of employment in partnership discussions.

But, that aside, I actually agree that it won't count against anyone that directly.

For me, it's more about the risk of subtextual assumptions. Some senior attorney asks you to take care of something, and you say, " I'm leaving for 9 days and I'll be out of communication, so I probably shouldn't take on that assignment." That attorney, who doesn't really know or care why you are leaving town is mildly irked; just enough so that he doesn't really go out of the way to give you a second shot, and you miss an opportunity to prove you are a "go-to" person.

Return to “Legal Employment”