The role of references

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
anonymousee

The role of references

Postby anonymousee » Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:33 am

What is the role of references in the selection process? Do firms which ask for them call up your referees? What do they ask them? Are they trying to find out more about the kind of person you are or are they looking to verify your credentials?

Cavalier

Re: The role of references

Postby Cavalier » Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:00 pm

Very few firms call references. The only two I can think of that do are Cleary and Covington (both DC). They probably just ask the usual basic questions--this isn't a security clearance check or anything.

BriaTharen

Postby BriaTharen » Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:02 pm

Only two of the firms I interviewed with actually used my references, and both of the firms had personal connections to my references. I used to work for one of the first firm's clients, and the professor I RA for used to work at the other one.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:32 pm

So I have two good references that I can list, but I know in general the norm is three (presumably for law hiring as well). I assume at the callback stage most firms at least ask for a list of references? If so, will they think I'm an idiot for handing them a list with only two references on it?

clockpen

Postby clockpen » Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:06 pm

Cavalier wrote:Very few firms call references. The only two I can think of that do are Cleary and Covington (both DC). They probably just ask the usual basic questions--this isn't a security clearance check or anything.

Could you elaborate on what the usual basic questions are?

bceagles182

Postby bceagles182 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So I have two good references that I can list, but I know in general the norm is three (presumably for law hiring as well). I assume at the callback stage most firms at least ask for a list of references? If so, will they think I'm an idiot for handing them a list with only two references on it?

You only have two references? Do you never go to office hours?

BriaTharen

Postby BriaTharen » Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:09 pm

bceagles182 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:So I have two good references that I can list, but I know in general the norm is three (presumably for law hiring as well). I assume at the callback stage most firms at least ask for a list of references? If so, will they think I'm an idiot for handing them a list with only two references on it?

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:45 pm

You should absolutely give three; giving two will look dumb. I'm sure you can find someone at a previous place of employment, or even a professor who ksimply nows you, who you can list as a reference. They don't need to be a good reference for your purposes (unlike, say, clerkship hiring); you just need to find someone.

clockpen wrote:
Cavalier wrote:Very few firms call references. The only two I can think of that do are Cleary and Covington (both DC). They probably just ask the usual basic questions--this isn't a security clearance check or anything.

Could you elaborate on what the usual basic questions are?

How the reference knows you, the quality of the work you did for them (if a previous employer), whether you posed any problems, etc. These are generally quick phone calls. Employers aren't looking for an in-depth analysis of your strengths and weaknesses; they simply want to ensure that there are a few people who can attest that you're competent.

Postby 09042014 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:55 pm

bceagles182 wrote:

Achievement unlocked- never went to office hours!

Return to “Legal Employment”