Official 3L Mass Mailing Thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Official 3L Mass Mailing Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:53 pm

I feel like given our dismal prospects we should have our own separate thread to commiserate and discuss our employment strategies. I plan on applying to every firm in the entire NALP directory, so far have 300 covered, no results but "we hire out of our summer program only LOL".

Anyone else just mailing away hoping something works out. FWIW, T14, really good grades, we dont rank.

EliHBCU

Re: Official 3L Mass Mailing Thread

Postby EliHBCU » Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:55 pm

Are you only applying to large firms? Did you intern during school? What field are you looking to go into?

harborleaguemvp

Postby harborleaguemvp » Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I feel like given our dismal prospects we should have our own separate thread to commiserate and discuss our employment strategies. I plan on applying to every firm in the entire NALP directory, so far have 300 covered, no results but "we hire out of our summer program only LOL".

Anyone else just mailing away hoping something works out. FWIW, T14, really good grades, we dont rank.

Boalt- I know that game

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:19 pm

Personally I do not think it is worth mailing NALP firms outside of primary markets, unless you have ties. Every indication I have gotten is that firms will not folks who have no ties to their area (at least if it in the middle of nowhere). I would stick to CA (because of Boalt), NY, DC and wherever you are from. Personally I am only applying to DC and NY plus my home market, seems like such a long shoot to apply anywhere else.

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:34 pm

You've started mass mailing already? Wow.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:52 pm

Yeah, I think there are about 1500-1600 more firms to go. Worst that can happen is 2000 rejections. Worth it to me for the chance to make 120k more than I'm gonna make otherwise.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:00 pm

Well, the salary difference would not be quite that big, since most really small markets pay less than NYC standard. I have just been let to belileve that secondaries + no ties = no shot. Maybe I am wrong, and you are right the investment of time is very low, but it is above zero, and presumably there are other job releated things you could be doing with your time (clerkship stuff, etc).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:53 pm

"My fiance requires me to relocate to your city" is a tie

lawfirmrecruiter

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Well, the salary difference would not be quite that big, since most really small markets pay less than NYC standard. I have just been let to belileve that secondaries + no ties = no shot. Maybe I am wrong, and you are right the investment of time is very low, but it is above zero, and presumably there are other job releated things you could be doing with your time (clerkship stuff, etc).

Secondary + no ties = no shot

This is not true for all firms. Simple supply and demand math for this not-so-new market - we have openings and students need jobs

We are a major mid-size and only hire 3Ls now. We will consider any student from any school from any market. It is part of my job to show you why you should stay if you consider my city/firm.

boalt2l

Postby boalt2l » Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:51 pm

Hey law firm recruiter, we hear so much about which firms have summer programs and hire 2Ls, I'm wondering how we find firms that hire 3Ls, do you have a database you reccomend to find firms such as your own?

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:56 pm

Can someone explain ties to me? I guess I've been confused why it matters so much that people are committed to a city or whatever

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Sat Jul 02, 2011 4:38 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:Can someone explain ties to me? I guess I've been confused why it matters so much that people are committed to a city or whatever

Ties show commitment, and firms in secondary markets want to hire people who are committed to living in a particular location. Outside of primary markets, firms generally don't have three to five associates per partner and high turnover among their associates; firms in secondary markets want to hire people who intend on staying. New associates aren't as efficient, so a firm would be better off if a new associate sticks around for six years than if he or she has to be replaced after two years. If you have no ties to a location, it's quite possible that, upon moving there, you'll discover you don't like the location and you'll want to move back to someplace familiar. That's less likely to happen if you have ties, because presumably you know what you're getting into when you choose to work there and are less likely to want to relocate later.

lawfirmrecruiter

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Sat Jul 02, 2011 5:03 pm

boalt2l wrote:Hey law firm recruiter, we hear so much about which firms have summer programs and hire 2Ls, I'm wondering how we find firms that hire 3Ls, do you have a database you reccomend to find firms such as your own?

Most will list it on the NALP form. I also suggest googling "3L law firm"

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:27 pm

Cavalier wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:Can someone explain ties to me? I guess I've been confused why it matters so much that people are committed to a city or whatever

Ties show commitment, and firms in secondary markets want to hire people who are committed to living in a particular location. Outside of primary markets, firms generally don't have three to five associates per partner and high turnover among their associates; firms in secondary markets want to hire people who intend on staying. New associates aren't as efficient, so a firm would be better off if a new associate sticks around for six years than if he or she has to be replaced after two years. If you have no ties to a location, it's quite possible that, upon moving there, you'll discover you don't like the location and you'll want to move back to someplace familiar. That's less likely to happen if you have ties, because presumably you know what you're getting into when you choose to work there and are less likely to want to relocate later.

So it's more about the risk involved with investing in the new associates?
Thanks

Return to “Legal Employment”