Law Job...Defer for a year?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
drays917

Re: Law Job...Defer for a year?

Postby drays917 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:26 pm

northwood wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:Is that really how that works? It surprises me that it's that simple; wouldn't the school want some sort of deposit or something indicating that you would actually consider going to their school? It just seems weird that McGeorge would give a waiver to a kid who already has a 163 knowing full well that there's no way in hell they will get him.

remember- TLS does not represent a lot of law school applicants. There probably are some 163rs out there that have mcgeorge at the top of their list ( or a similar school)- or would choose the lower ranked ( or lower tier school) with a larger scholly over a higher ranked/ tier school without second guessing it.

Agreed...and to be honest, even if getting that waiver means you have to waste an application fee to McGeorge/whatever TTT you choose, it's definitely, absolutely worth it. The potential to go to a much better school >>>>>>> 75 or however many bucks.

sunynp

Postby sunynp » Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:33 pm

gwuorbust wrote:there is no question that you should take the job and retake.

all you need to take the LSAT a 4th time is a waiver from a school..any school. basically, just move through the TTTTs asking for a waiver until you get one. ball out the LSAT, save some money and then enjoy a better law school with less debt. Win-Win-Win.

FWIW -I think the procedure for a waiver changed and now you have to get one through LSAC. Doesn't necessarily mean it will be hard to get a waiver.

http://lsatblog.blogspot.com/2011/06/ls ... hange.html

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:09 am

sunynp wrote:
gwuorbust wrote:there is no question that you should take the job and retake.

all you need to take the LSAT a 4th time is a waiver from a school..any school. basically, just move through the TTTTs asking for a waiver until you get one. ball out the LSAT, save some money and then enjoy a better law school with less debt. Win-Win-Win.

FWIW -I think the procedure for a waiver changed and now you have to get one through LSAC. Doesn't necessarily mean it will be hard to get a waiver.

http://lsatblog.blogspot.com/2011/06/ls ... hange.html

well that sucks

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:02 pm

OP here, just got an update. They offered me a promotion in the legal department at my production company, though am still not going to be making THAT much money. I highly doubt I can take the LSAt again and LS is paid for. With the economy the way it is and the blood bath that was OCI last year, do you guys think the best move is to defer? FWIW I'm 23, and the thought of delaying another year is a tad painful. I know I'm still young and there is technically no rush, but I keep thinking about where I will be when I graduate. The thought of starting practice at 27 is a little daunting, and I'm worried if I dont go now, it will only get harder to go in the future. I know in light of the economy I am extremely fortunate, but I'm very conflicted on what to do now. Your thoughts are much appreciated.

drays917

Postby drays917 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:51 am

Anonymous User wrote:FWIW I'm 23, and the thought of delaying another year is a tad painful.

Stop making me feel old.

And if you're not going to reapply, might as well just go this year then. One year won't make a huge difference economy-wise, realistically. Unless you're making enough money now to build up substantial savings, it doesn't seem like spending another year at a job you don't really love is going to be that valuable to you.

But, I would still highly recommend you try to retake the LSAT. Even if it's not possible, the upside is way larger than the downside.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:44 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Aston2412 wrote:Wait. You got WLed at Hastings? Any idea when you'll get a final decision?
A person got accepted the other day...but im not holding my breath since my GPA is sub 3.4. My thought on it is, it seems like ppl like me here, and Im making a good impression with the Pres/vice president of legal at a prominant production company. They will prob be open to me doing my 1L intership here (theyve spoken briefly about it). My focus is going to be entertainment law/business law. How much benefit would there really be? Sorry for the back and forth, Im just nervous about it all....My instinct is to just go to LLS/Pepperdine to get the ball rolling knowing I have a great shot at a 1L paid spot where Im at now, hopefully use my connections to get a 2L SA, and go from there. Most ppl say to stay since 1 year of w/e is a benefit, but I have a feeling it's negligible.

Rising Hastings 3L here.

Even if you got in UCH, I'd still still say wait as much time as you can before going to school. There is NO RUSH whatsoever.

Return to “Legal Employment”