Law Job...Defer for a year? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Law Job...Defer for a year?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:06 pm

If this is in the wrong spot, feel free to remove/move it.

Here's the deal. I got a summer internship at a production company 3 weeks ago (it technically was supposed to end in August). I am working in the legal department getting pretty good experience with employment, distribution, and licensing agreements. I was hired to work on a pretty big project for them, and they are going to offer me to stay for the year. Not making great money or anything (although Id imagine a little raise if I did) but Im getting great experience in a great working environment. Problem is, Im starting law school at a T2 in August...0L, yes. Should I try to defer for a year or should I respectfully decline and try to work with them my 1L summer? Thanks for any advice.

timbs4339

Gold

Re: Law Job...Defer for a year?

Post by timbs4339 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If this is in the wrong spot, feel free to remove/move it.

Here's the deal. I got a summer internship at a production company 3 weeks ago (it technically was supposed to end in August). I am working in the legal department getting pretty good experience with employment, distribution, and licensing agreements. I was hired to work on a pretty big project for them, and they are going to offer me to stay for the year. Not making great money or anything (although Id imagine a little raise if I did) but Im getting great experience in a great working environment. Problem is, Im starting law school at a T2 in August...0L, yes. Should I try to defer for a year or should I respectfully decline and try to work with them my 1L summer? Thanks for any advice.
This is almost a no brainer. Law school will be there in a year. This job could lead to a full time position after law school and you will have a much better looking resume even if it doesn't.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:10 pm

This just fell into my lap like 15 mins. ago...do you think a school would offer me a deferral on such short notice? plus im riding the waitlist somewhere right now too...

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:10 pm

timbs4339 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:If this is in the wrong spot, feel free to remove/move it.

This is almost a no brainer. Law school will be there in a year. This job could lead to a full time position after law school and you will have a much better looking resume even if it doesn't.
It could also give you the retake option, which, along with the WE, could get you into a better school.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:12 pm

3 strikes and Im out...no retake for me :( Cancel/Sick/December LSAT...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:22 pm

Appeal to LSAC they'll let you take it...and take the job, forget T2.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:46 pm

So consensus is to stay with my job...should I try to defer my acceptance or retake/re apply and take my chances hoping LSAC will let me?

Holly Golightly

Gold

Post by Holly Golightly » Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So consensus is to stay with my job...should I try to defer my acceptance or retake/re apply and take my chances hoping LSAC will let me?
Some schools have a non-binding deferral, is that an option for you?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:50 pm

I just checked...the school does not usually grant deferrals and I have to go through the dean to get one...I would imagine it would be binding...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

mebeSajid

Bronze

Post by mebeSajid » Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I just checked...the school does not usually grant deferrals and I have to go through the dean to get one...I would imagine it would be binding...
Then cancel going to law school for a year, and reapply. Better yet, retake the LSAT after taking a prep course.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:38 pm

I took a course and studied my ass off. PT avg range at my peak between 162-170, ended up with a 163 on test day. Not great, but not terrible. Also, Im not afraid of going to a T2, Ive got money for it and connections in a big market. Would the extra year as a legal intern really boost my 2L OCI THAT much? Maybe im trying to argue for it since until today I've made up my mind that Im starting in 45 days...I do appreciate all your guys' advice, keep it comin if youd like, it's a big decision and I appreciate all the points of view.

Aston2412

Bronze

Post by Aston2412 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:46 pm

Where are you drawing the line at T2?

With a 163 I find it odd that you couldn't land somewhere in T1.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:49 pm

I got into American WL at Hastings, but am from Los Angeles, so its Pepperdine/Loyola LA...and my UG gpa got fu%&! so...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Aston2412

Bronze

Post by Aston2412 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:14 pm

Wait. You got WLed at Hastings? Any idea when you'll get a final decision?

That said, all of those schools are floating around the same range. It may not make much difference.

Taking the LSAT again might be a good idea if you can.

gwuorbust

Gold

Post by gwuorbust » Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:31 pm

there is no question that you should take the job and retake.

all you need to take the LSAT a 4th time is a waiver from a school..any school. basically, just move through the TTTTs asking for a waiver until you get one. ball out the LSAT, save some money and then enjoy a better law school with less debt. Win-Win-Win.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:34 pm

Aston2412 wrote:Wait. You got WLed at Hastings? Any idea when you'll get a final decision?
A person got accepted the other day...but im not holding my breath since my GPA is sub 3.4. My thought on it is, it seems like ppl like me here, and Im making a good impression with the Pres/vice president of legal at a prominant production company. They will prob be open to me doing my 1L intership here (theyve spoken briefly about it). My focus is going to be entertainment law/business law. How much benefit would there really be? Sorry for the back and forth, Im just nervous about it all....My instinct is to just go to LLS/Pepperdine to get the ball rolling knowing I have a great shot at a 1L paid spot where Im at now, hopefully use my connections to get a 2L SA, and go from there. Most ppl say to stay since 1 year of w/e is a benefit, but I have a feeling it's negligible.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:43 pm

gwuorbust wrote:there is no question that you should take the job and retake.

all you need to take the LSAT a 4th time is a waiver from a school..any school. basically, just move through the TTTTs asking for a waiver until you get one. ball out the LSAT, save some money and then enjoy a better law school with less debt. Win-Win-Win.
Im extremely lucky...LS is paid for...does that change your opinion? I really appreciate everyones input :)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

gwuorbust

Gold

Post by gwuorbust » Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Im extremely lucky...LS is paid for...does that change your opinion? I really appreciate everyones input :)
ok. then how sure are you that you can get this job?

If you are over 75%+ sure and are taking on no debt, my advice is enroll and enjoy.

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:50 pm

Take the job and tell the dean why you want to wait a year. This is a golden opportunity for you. take it and run with it. you said you had a cancel/ sick 163. DId you show up for the sick one? If you didnt and it was an absence- then you still have one more attempt before you need to petition. ( it will be noted as an absence or no score will be marked on the lsac report.

If you got in this year to the T2- chances are you will get in next cycle. update your resume and other things with this bit of information and try to get your supervisor to write a LOR for you. Tell the school that you are considering attending about this- and let them know that while you were planning on attending- you feel as though this opportunity would advance your career options further and should be pursued over enrolling at the school in august 2011. Or call the school on tuesday and tell them- then follow up with an email to who ever you feel it should be addressed to ( dean of admissions i would guess, but you could copy and send it to more than 1 person).

Even though ls is paid for- this is a great resume builder and something you should take advantage of.
congrats and good luck.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:15 pm

gwuorbust wrote:ok. then how sure are you that you can get this job?

If you are over 75%+ sure and are taking on no debt, my advice is enroll and enjoy
Im 90% sure since both the President and VP were talking to me about how great it would be if I would at least join them next summer, if not while im in school...although I dont think I want to do 1L and have a part time job, I really need to get top 10% and bust my ass.

@ Northwood. I had the flu in Oct. but sat anyway for it since I wanted to apply ED...I ended up screwing myself over on that one and scored 8pts below what I usually do (had to get up during RC and come back)...I have to think about your advice since im kinda leaning towards it.

Again guys, thanks for all the advice...the more advice the better since im so conflicted about this. BTW, happy weekend ;)

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:48 pm

Job expected value is positive. Law school's expected value at a T2 is somewhere between getting hit by a truck and pulling out your own fingernails.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:48 pm

thesealocust wrote: Law school's expected value at a T2 is somewhere between getting hit by a truck and pulling out your own fingernails.
Not true at all man. You always crack me up though. The market is shitty...unless you have connections...

vamedic03

Gold

Post by vamedic03 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
thesealocust wrote: Law school's expected value at a T2 is somewhere between getting hit by a truck and pulling out your own fingernails.
Not true at all man. You always crack me up though. The market is shitty...unless you have connections...
Yeah, always trust advice from someone who abuses the anonymous feature.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:36 am

Is that really how that works? It surprises me that it's that simple; wouldn't the school want some sort of deposit or something indicating that you would actually consider going to their school? It just seems weird that McGeorge would give a waiver to a kid who already has a 163 knowing full well that there's no way in hell they will get him.

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:08 am

JamMasterJ wrote: Is that really how that works? It surprises me that it's that simple; wouldn't the school want some sort of deposit or something indicating that you would actually consider going to their school? It just seems weird that McGeorge would give a waiver to a kid who already has a 163 knowing full well that there's no way in hell they will get him.

remember- TLS does not represent a lot of law school applicants. There probably are some 163rs out there that have mcgeorge at the top of their list ( or a similar school)- or would choose the lower ranked ( or lower tier school) with a larger scholly over a higher ranked/ tier school without second guessing it.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”