Being A Guarantor On Someone Else's Lease Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
schooner

Bronze

Re: Being A Guarantor On Someone Else's Lease

Post by schooner » Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:19 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I mean I would even take custody of my sisters, and support them. I just really don't want to support my parents as they take much more $, but I can't do one without the other. When I suggested this my mom went nuts. My dad at one point blackmailed me when I had a bad month, and didn't want to make the 500 payment. He threatened to call LS, and say I lied about disciplinary stuff.
I'd consider notifying your school that this is a possibility.
I agree - you may want to pre-emptively notify your school and let them know about your situation.

You may also want to look into your siblings out of your irresponsible (and soon to be insolvent) parents' custody. Maybe you can approach your grandparents and/or the extended family that has cut off your father. They may hate your father, but that might make them even more willing to fight for custody. It sounds like you're willing to take on the stress & the legal ordeal, if it will allow you to cut ties with your parents afterwards. I don't think that makes you an immoral person. Your father doesn't sound like a good human being.

kapachino

Silver

Post by kapachino » Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
splitmuch wrote:No fucking way. Its one thing to help people out, but you should expect a commitment by them to help themselves. If your dad won't take on a real job, don't take on his debt.
but am i an asshole to abandon my family when they never beat me, screwed me over, etc.? sometimes i feel like michael douglas in wall st. i'm pretty confident i'm going to make it as people i meet in person always say, you're going places. my friends have all told me they expect me to be the most successful of the bunch (and they are making 80k+ in their early 20s). this all said, whenever i see my dad or he calls me I just think in my head, "Fucking deadbeat loser. How long do I have to wait till the loser makes his point?"

Your parents are bigger assholes for putting you in this position. They are adults, and if they are unwilling to help themselves, then they deserve what they get. You are not responsible for them. As for your sisters...are there any other relatives they could stay with? Could they possibly stay with you? They're the ones that need to be taken care of in this situation, not your lazy, entitled parents.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:23 pm

i don't want to be rambling, but you people have no idea what witnessing poverty does to the human psyche. i never considered LS till their home was foreclosed on as i never felt the need to make over 35-40k. i never cared about money, only creative things, culture and love.

now literally all i care about is money. i love it more than anything else. frankly, i don't even care about sex. the only reason i sleep with women is because that's the only way to keep a hot woman, and hot women beget status, and status begets money. my girlfriend does complain that while she enjoys our sex, she feels i am disinterested and becomes insecure when in reality i am disinterested in any and everything that does not get me more money.

i do want to help my family, but can't at this stage of the came. if they can push 5 years, i'll make it happen. i know the legal field is hurting, but i'll make millions. i'll break the law if i have to - whatever it takes to fix everything without physically hurting anybody.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gemini

Gold

Post by Gemini » Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:24 pm

You answered your own question. You know they won't be able to pay consistently (or even at all). Your dad sounds lazy for not even attempting to find a job (you had to look FOR him? Is that for real?). Would you seriously say yes to being a guarantor for them?

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:i do want to help my family, but can't at this stage of the came. if they can push 5 years, i'll make it happen. i know the legal field is hurting, but i'll make millions. i'll break the law if i have to - whatever it takes to fix everything without physically hurting anybody.
reel it in there, chief. don't bring out the big guns until at least page 4 or 5. trust me.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

splitmuch

Silver

Post by splitmuch » Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:i don't want to be rambling, but you people have no idea what witnessing poverty does to the human psyche. i never considered LS till their home was foreclosed on as i never felt the need to make over 35-40k. i never cared about money, only creative things, culture and love.

now literally all i care about is money. i love it more than anything else. frankly, i don't even care about sex. the only reason i sleep with women is because that's the only way to keep a hot woman, and hot women beget status, and status begets money.

i do want to help my family, but can't at this stage of the came. if they can push 5 years, i'll make it happen. i know the legal field is hurting, but i'll make millions. i'll break the law if i have to - whatever it takes to fix everything without physically hurting anybody.
Now you're a sociopath. Apple. Tree.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:29 pm

I would not do it. They need to help themselves. You have no moral obligation and will just be hurting them more by helping them most likely. You already have your mind made up though I think. You're all adults, you offered help, they didn't accept. They need to realize they made mistakes and dig themselves out of it. To ask you to do it is what's immoral.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:29 pm

Gemini wrote:You answered your own question. You know they won't be able to pay consistently (or even at all). Your dad sounds lazy for not even attempting to find a job (you had to look FOR him? Is that for real?). Would you seriously say yes to being a guarantor for them?
yep. on and on.

"look for a job"
"would but resume sucks."
"i'll do it."
"okay"

"not looking - too mch time."
"i'll find jobs for you."
"fine"

"here's one. they e-mailed back, you got an interview."
"pays under 200k. forget it."

he spent this time playing comp games, and watching tv. watches hours till this day.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:i don't want to be rambling, but you people have no idea what witnessing poverty does to the human psyche. i never considered LS till their home was foreclosed on as i never felt the need to make over 35-40k. i never cared about money, only creative things, culture and love.

now literally all i care about is money. i love it more than anything else. frankly, i don't even care about sex. the only reason i sleep with women is because that's the only way to keep a hot woman, and hot women beget status, and status begets money. my girlfriend does complain that while she enjoys our sex, she feels i am disinterested and becomes insecure when in reality i am disinterested in any and everything that does not get me more money.

I too have lived in horrible poverty in one of the worst apartment buildings you can ever imagine for over a year. We are talking the slum of slums. The landlord would tell me of murders that happened in that very building. I saw a man kill himself there in front of me (and his naked body left in front of my door for hours). Bed bugs, roaches, you name it. People shooting up drugs. Oh yeah, it was fun. I used to want money before that. After that I realized that it wasn't that important.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

raregem

New

Post by raregem » Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:33 pm

Wow....just. Wow. I think the OP needs some serious psychological help.

schooner

Bronze

Post by schooner » Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:35 pm

splitmuch wrote:

now literally all i care about is money. i love it more than anything else. frankly, i don't even care about sex. the only reason i sleep with women is because that's the only way to keep a hot woman, and hot women beget status, and status begets money.

Now you're a sociopath. Apple. Tree.
Yeah. That did sound sociopath-y, or at least douchbag-y. I couldn't help laughing.

But seriously, find a way to get your sisters taken care of so you can cut ties with your parents and focus on finding your humanity again.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:38 pm

It's one thing to help out family. It's another thing to prop up your family in destroying their own lives. Your parents need help, but the help they need is in getting a job and making their own money, not in you guaranteeing an apartment that they themselves would be able to afford if they worked. You can't support a self-destructive lifestyle that they're creating.

Sorry, if your dad isn't willing to take getting a job seriously, and your mother, too, they need to experience actual consequences, not shift the burden to you.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:39 pm

Considering the aspieness of the OP, my advice stands: go to xoxohth.com.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

d34d9823

Gold

Post by d34d9823 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:40 pm

Do not fucking do it. You would just be ruining your own life in addition to theirs.

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Considering the aspieness of the OP, my advice stands: go to xoxohth.com for advice.
did you miss the part where no one laughed the first time, captain anonymous? who's the aspie one?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:43 pm

It's not a joke. The thread is flame or he's barking up the wrong tree. If you've read any of his comments, it is obvious that he has some major problems.

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:46 pm

OP also posted on here without using the anon feature but subsequently deleted those posts. His other posts on the board include starting a thread about the ability or aptitude of URMs to perform well on the LSAT. He clearly has some issues.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

l'aviadora

New

Post by l'aviadora » Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:52 pm

Wow...I'm so sorry to hear that. I've had some similar experiences, although nothing near that extreme. You cannot allow yourself to become pulled into this. Do NOT sign for that house or anything else for that matter. Ruined credit will follow you for a very long time and can make it impossible for you to achieve what you have worked so hard for. You need to have as much of this drama out of the way as is possible before you start LS.

First, your mother is going to have to understand that she can have a middle class, vacationing, high-fallutin' lifestyle if and when she can afford to provide that for herself. Not a moment before then. It is not your duty to provide your family a house in the suburbs and send them on vacation. Your mother needs to stop being selfish and prepare a proper resume and find a job. Perhaps you could convince her to see a career counselor? Do you have any friends that do a lot of hiring that might be willing to coach her?

There is no way that they need to rent a house in the suburbs. Find a decent, reasonably priced apartment and let that be the end of it. That way, you minimize your losses if they don't pay. I agree with the advice to give gift cards for groceries and such.

I think that you should extend the same kindness to your father that he has to you. In other words, GTFO. Find a divorce attorney, stat. This is going to be incredibly difficult for your mother as she has been unable to do this in the past. Unfortunately, this is the only way to preserve what little she has left. If she can't do it, I don't think there is any fixing this.

The people that stand to pay the highest price for all of this will be you and your sisters, unfortunately. There isn't a right answer to this. One of your parents has to actually grow up and do some parenting. You can't do it for them. In the mean time, try to spend as much time as possible with your sisters as you can. Make absolutely sure that they know they have a place to go should they end up being evicted. It won't fix everything, but at least it may give them some peace of mind.

Don't let this issue be the only reason that you want to go to law school. Please do not invest time and money into something that you don't want to do just because it might end up increasing your salary several years from now. It could also bankrupt you if you go about it in the wrong manner. Think about that instead of how many millions you'll make.

I followed you on the money thing up until you started talking about your GF and not caring for any of your friends. If you're not a troll, I'd consider looking into therapy. That's not a good sign.

BeaverHunter

New

Post by BeaverHunter » Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:02 pm

What's going to happen is your Dad isn't going to pay and you will have to. Why do they need a $2800/mo house anyway? No offense, but your Dad is a loser and you need to sever ties, particularly the financial ones.

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:04 pm

Locking this thread mostly because I don't want to deal with all of the reports that have been coming in for it lately. Beyond that, I don't really see any use out of letting it continue.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Legal Employment”