Allright I got into Law School, now what do i do?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
DrVictorFreeze

Allright I got into Law School, now what do i do?

Postby DrVictorFreeze » Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:48 am

I will be starting at Emory Law in the fall. I am curious what the steps are in the next semester, year, and three years in order to make a bunch of money right out of law school. Basically I want to know what the absolute minimum requirements are for Biglaw or 145,000+ salary along the east coast, southeast (particularly New York, Washington, Boston, Atlanta, Miami). Will I need a 3.5+ and law review? Will I need a summer internship? Will I need family or friend connections? Basically I dont know the answers to any of these questions so would like some help.

bk1

Re: Allright I got into Law School, now what do i do?

Postby bk1 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:58 am

1. Withdraw from Emory.
2. Retake the LSAT.
3. Go to a much better school.

DrVictorFreeze

Postby DrVictorFreeze » Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:03 am

Damn emory gets shit on, it cant be that bad.

glewz

Postby glewz » Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:04 am

DrVictorFreeze wrote:I will be starting at Emory Law in the fall. I am curious what the steps are in the next semester, year, and three years in order to make a bunch of money right out of law school. Basically I want to know what the absolute minimum requirements are for Biglaw or 145,000+ salary along the east coast, southeast (particularly New York, Washington, Boston, Atlanta, Miami). Will I need a 3.5+ and law review? Will I need a summer internship? Will I need family or friend connections? Basically I dont know the answers to any of these questions so would like some help.

0L as well, but here are some tips:

- Use the TLS forum search function

- Buy LEEWS
- Start reading supplemental materials for your upcoming classes
- For law review, schools have differing ways for getting on: grade on, writing competition, combination of both. You'll need to check with Emory to figure this out
- You should get a 1L summer law-related internship & start applying (I think) in December. If you are URM, try for diversity summer internships with biglaw firms.
- You don't need family or friend connections, but those can help for sure, especially for getting outlines/past exams & securing employment
Last edited by glewz on Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:05 am

DrVictorFreeze wrote:Damn emory gets shit on, it cant be that bad.

If you want biglaw, yes it is that bad.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:16 am

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:15 am

DrVictorFreeze wrote:I will be starting at Emory Law in the fall. I am curious what the steps are in the next semester, year, and three years in order to make a bunch of money right out of law school. Basically I want to know what the absolute minimum requirements are for Biglaw or 145,000+ salary along the east coast, southeast (particularly New York, Washington, Boston, Atlanta, Miami). Will I need a 3.5+ and law review? Will I need a summer internship? Will I need family or friend connections? Basically I dont know the answers to any of these questions so would like some help.

To get biglaw you will need to get an internship at a firm during your second summer (between your second and third year). You will apply for these jobs at the beginning of your second year. In order to get such a job from Emory, you should be in the top 10% or so.

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:30 am

90% of your class is busting ass to get a biglaw job and everyone is just as smart as you. Only 10-20% of your class will get those jobs. Whether you succeed or not will depend a lot on sheer luck.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:35 am

I understand your curiosity, but this thread is pointless because (a) you already decided on Emory, and (b) you are going to try and do all of these things regardless of what the answer is to your question. It's not like you are going to be like, "Yeah, I'm only going to outline half to course cause I'm just gunning for top 30%," or something. Now, if you HADN'T already chosen Emory then perhaps you would be dissuaded to do so upon hearing you need to pretty much kill it to get biglaw from there (then again maybe you wouldn't be, up to you). As an aside, I'm a little surprised you would choose a school without knowing how well you need to do there in order to meet your career goals.

Anyway, just chill for now, read the threads on here about success in law school, and when you start in the fall start doing whatever you decide you need to do in order to do as well as possible.

doinmybest

Postby doinmybest » Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:50 am

bk1 wrote:1. Withdraw from Emory.
2. Retake the LSAT.

This is credited because you don't know if you'll make good grades or not. Like posters above said, a lot of it will depend on sheer luck. Without top grades at Emory, you won't even be able to sniff a BigLaw job.

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:27 am

2. Retake the LSAT.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:49 am

2. Retake the LSAT.

Tempted to agree (if possible to withdraw - depends on your personal situation), but this would depend on how much money you're getting from Emory. But you'll have to be in the top 10-15 percent just to have a shot at biglaw. Not easy...

That said, if you're committed to this course of events:

1. Chill out for the summer, but read Getting to Maybe.
2. Chill out some more.
3. Have a plan of attack for class and studying - have an idea of how you're going to take notes, and how you'll be reading for class. Doesn't have to be perfect, but has to exist.

treeey86

Postby treeey86 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:28 am

Emory student here.

Top 15-20% makes you competitive for NYC/ATL biglaw

Top 30% makes you competitive for regional biglaw/midlaw/boutiques

Plenty of stories of those below top third getting biglaw and regional biglaw. Plenty of stories of those above top third getting nothing paid 2L summer.

Realize its not 2005 anymore when Emory would place 30% of its graduating class in biglaw. Emory is a good institution with a great law school. Going there will give you a solid legal education and prepare you for a career that one day can yield a six figure salary. But dont go in expecting to finish median and have a $145k job waiting there for you. If you are biglaw or bust, take a year off, retake LSAT, and go to a t-14 school ( preferably top half of that). If you choose to go to Emory, change your expectations or work your ass off.

NotMyRealName09

Postby NotMyRealName09 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:28 am

nevermind, enjoy law school.
Last edited by NotMyRealName09 on Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Julio_El_Chavo

Postby Julio_El_Chavo » Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:28 am

2. Retake the LSAT.

cr

Aston2412

Postby Aston2412 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:32 am

treeey86 wrote:Emory student here.

Plenty of stories of those below top third getting biglaw and regional biglaw. Plenty of stories of those above top third getting nothing paid 2L summer.

Realize its not 2005 anymore when Emory would place 30% of its graduating class in biglaw. Emory is a good institution with a great law school. Going there will give you a solid legal education and prepare you for a career that one day can yield a six figure salary. But dont go in expecting to finish median and have a $145k job waiting there for you. If you are biglaw or bust, take a year off, retake LSAT, and go to a t-14 school ( preferably top half of that). If you choose to go to Emory, change your expectations or work your ass off.

This is quality advice for everyone, minor alterations to be made based on school and market preference.

mths

Postby mths » Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:17 pm

glewz wrote:

0L as well, but here are some tips:

- Use the TLS forum search function

- Buy LEEWS
- Start reading supplemental materials for your upcoming classes
- For law review, schools have differing ways for getting on: grade on, writing competition, combination of both. You'll need to check with Emory to figure this out
- You should get a 1L summer law-related internship & start applying (I think) in December. If you are URM, try for diversity summer internships with biglaw firms.
- You don't need family or friend connections, but those can help for sure, especially for getting outlines/past exams & securing employment

SIGH

Postby 09042014 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:22 pm

Go to Med School bro. Law is TTT as fuck. You are going to spend 180K to have a 10% or less chance at getting a 145K job for three or so years? That's dumber than half of Emory's admitted students.

mths

Postby mths » Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:30 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Go to Med School bro. Law is TTT as fuck. You are going to spend 180K to have a 10% or less chance at getting a 145K job for three or so years? That's dumber than half of Emory's admitted students.

:lol:

TTH

Postby TTH » Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:34 pm

"Look into practicing in Nebraska or Wisconsin." - Actual Advice from an Emory Professor at their commencement last year.

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:40 pm

DrVictorFreeze wrote:Damn emory gets shit on, it cant be that bad.

Why can't it be that bad?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:08 am

What does the other 70% do?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:15 am

Anonymous User wrote:

What does the other 70% do?

Maybe 10% do some sort of PI work (public defender, prosecutor in some obscure location, legal aid, etc.). Probably 30% do work they could have done without a JD, including going back to graduate school for some other degree. Another 20% or so do doc review and other demeaning legal grunt work. The balance start their own practice or work for a small-time practitioner's office in preparation for starting their own practice.

Black-Blue

Postby Black-Blue » Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:44 am

"Make you competitive" means that you'll actually get the job?

Furthermore, the fact that x% of the students got a job at biglaw doesn't meant that those correspond to the top x% of the class. As a corrolary, just because someone at y% got a biglaw job doesn't mean that everyone from 1 to y% can get a big law job.

Return to “Legal Employment”