Real Estate/Land Use Law --> Real Estate Development

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Real Estate/Land Use Law --> Real Estate Development

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:30 pm

Does anyone have experience practicing real estate law and later going into the development side of the industry? How difficult is this to achieve? Is an M.B.A. invariably required in order to move to the business side, or will years of practice as a real estate lawyer make up for the lack of the academic (business) credential?

Also, does anyone know which law firms are particularly good in this area? I know Fried Frank has a stellar practice, but any other firms or boutiques worth looking at? Is this a NYC-centric practice or is it done in other cities? Any big law real estate practices in D.C.?

Thanks a bunch!

BenJ

Re: Real Estate/Land Use Law --> Real Estate Development

Postby BenJ » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:05 pm

Bryan Cave is the other firm in NYC that does real estate/land use. I don't think anyone else has a significant development practice (as opposed to transactions), though I might be wrong on that.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:06 pm

Thanks, BenJ. Any other input?

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:23 pm

http://www.nationalharbor.com/intro.htm

The guy that built that was a lawyer I think. Also, the developers I know (of) aren't some kind of super specialized people but just know opportunities and are able to get investors on board. If you were looking on a small scale there isn't really much to it besides looking for needs that aren't met.

imchuckbass58

Postby imchuckbass58 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone have experience practicing real estate law and later going into the development side of the industry? How difficult is this to achieve? Is an M.B.A. invariably required in order to move to the business side, or will years of practice as a real estate lawyer make up for the lack of the academic (business) credential?

Also, does anyone know which law firms are particularly good in this area? I know Fried Frank has a stellar practice, but any other firms or boutiques worth looking at? Is this a NYC-centric practice or is it done in other cities? Any big law real estate practices in D.C.?

Thanks a bunch!

I do not have experience, but my impression is that an MBA is not necessary. That said, your legal background won't pave the way for you. While senior real estate lawyers often move on to become developers, this isn't necessarily because of any particular legal expertise. It's more about the connections and deal flow they have by virtue of having been in the space for many years.

To your last question:
-NY: http://www.chambersandpartners.com/USA/Editorial/43228
-DC: http://www.chambersandpartners.com/USA/Editorial/42877
-CA: http://www.chambersandpartners.com/USA/Editorial/42821
-IL: http://www.chambersandpartners.com/USA/Editorial/42969

Also, do you want to do small scale real-estate development (e.g., buy and manage a few multi-unit buildings) or do the type of massive, corporate real estate development along the lines of Boston Properties, Tishman Speyer, Archstone, AvalonBay, etc? A key distinction many people gloss over is that land use/conventional real estate law is very different from the financial/transactional side of real estate law. The former is much more like your property or land use class, whereas the latter shares much more commonality with M&A or cap markets. At the larger developers, you want to practice the latter, not the former, since at that level it's much more a matter of financing.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:58 am

Thanks for all your very helpful responses. My goal is to work for a firm like Tishman Speyer, Related, etc for a few years and, after getting a good foundation of how the industry functions, start my own company back home and do small-scale development and property management.

Do any of you know of any real estate development companies like Tishman that hire J.D.s? Would it be worthwhile to get an MBA or a master's in a real estate speciality?

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:03 am

I'm just gonna get in on this thread because I'm massively interested in this as well.

JDeezy

Postby JDeezy » Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:53 am

Would love to revive this thread (or find more like it.)

Anyone else out there working towards similar goals as OP? Trying to figure out how to use a law degree/time at a Biglaw RE practice group to move into development. As a lawyer, what skills/abilities would I take into development that non-JD/biglaw developers wouldn't have? What's my competitive advantage?

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:54 am

Why not just get a job at CBRE or whatever, I don't get it

Hoosier2

Postby Hoosier2 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:59 am

Also, very interested in this topic. Are there any practicing attorneys with insight?

Return to “Legal Employment”