timing for netoworking e-mails vs. resume/cover letter

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

timing for netoworking e-mails vs. resume/cover letter

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:43 pm

Hi all,

I go to a T25 but am looking to return to my home state (where I went to UG) to practice. Anyway I am here for an internship this summer and am looking to make some connections and send out some resumes and cover letters. I researched area attorneys and did not find any that go to my LS but a few from my UG and I am looking to reach out to them with a lunch invite to learn about the firm and working in the area etc. I also want to send my resume, cover letter, writing sample, etc to the firms these guys are working at. Should I wait until I meet with these guys (if they even will meet with me) to apply to their firms or just apply now and meet whenever it is convenient with the other attorney.

FYI no firms in the area are coming to my schools OCI.

Anonymous User

Re: timing for netoworking e-mails vs. resume/cover letter

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:45 am

My $.02 - Be aggressive but don't be too aggressive. What I mean is don't have high expectations that you can get the lunch meeting and hint at working in the area, all that in your initial meeting - many of these partners/associates are super busy, and moreover, they want to get to know you before they even BEGIN to consider helping/working with you. So, I think you are on the right track in meeting w/ UG alums (small boost, but better than cold call/emailing b/c there is at least some common ground) - but just remember to be patient, and know that networking takes time!

Godspeed.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:46 am

Coffee, not a lunch invite. If they say let's do lunch or beers or whatever, so be it, but lunch is too much too fast. It comes off a big aggressive.

I think I've got this networking thing down pretty well and I've already started to see it paying small dividends (and I genuinely believe it can and will help me get a bump at OCI, although it obviously won't get me a job on its own). Feel free to PM me and I can share some of my general strategy with you. The most important thing, however, is to be very professional, very courteous, and above all, be a friendly, sociable person.

theturkeyisfat

Postby theturkeyisfat » Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:58 am

romothesavior wrote:Coffee, not a lunch invite. If they say let's do lunch or beers or whatever, so be it, but lunch is too much too fast. It comes off a big aggressive.

I think I've got this networking thing down pretty well and I've already started to see it paying small dividends (and I genuinely believe it can and will help me get a bump at OCI, although it obviously won't get me a job on its own). Feel free to PM me and I can share some of my general strategy with you. The most important thing, however, is to be very professional, very courteous, and above all, be a friendly, sociable person.

Can I get some of your networking wisdom?

Personally, I'm usually very interested in the work of the people that I try to network with, so I ask them questions about that, as well about how to do well in law school/find a job/etc. I think it's working pretty well.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:44 am

theturkeyisfat wrote:
romothesavior wrote:Coffee, not a lunch invite. If they say let's do lunch or beers or whatever, so be it, but lunch is too much too fast. It comes off a big aggressive.

Can I get some of your networking wisdom?

Personally, I'm usually very interested in the work of the people that I try to network with, so I ask them questions about that, as well about how to do well in law school/find a job/etc. I think it's working pretty well.

Ha, I certainly wouldn't call it wisdom. Just some general strategy and tips, most of which I learned from matthies (an old TLS poster who unfortunately rarely comes around anymore).

Sounds like you got it down. The one thing you have to make sure you do is follow-up. That's the part that most people forget to do or struggle to do (including myself... it isn't always easy), but you have to find a way to keep the connection going. For example, I met with a guy a few months ago who wrote onto LR in law school, and he gave me some advice on how to write-on. I followed the advice, and I just wrote-on. So what did I do? I emailed him and thanked him for the advice, and updated him on what I'm up to these days. It started a nice little email conversation. Another good way to follow up is to ask for more advice or questions. Keep track of the things that you talk to people about so that you can reference it (as in, "A few months back we talked about this, and I am currently considering ____. I just wanted your advice on ____. Blah blah blah") Or if it is a holiday and you haven't spoken in a while, just send them a short email wishing them a happy holiday. Find little ways to keep it going (as long as they aren't too forced).

And always follow up with someone if you meet them briefly. Too many people are great at the intro, great at the small talk, but then never follow up, or only follow up months later when they need something. Lawyers meet so many people every week, they aren't going to remember you if you don't keep in touch, even if they really liked you when meeting you. If you meet someone briefly at a networking event, email them and say it was nice to meet them, and maybe even say "I enjoyed talking to you, and would like to grab coffee sometime if you are available." Or just send a line or two saying how it was nice to meet them and you hope to be in touch with them in the future (or if they're from another city, say "If I am ever in the ____ area, I will let you know" or something to that effect).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:42 pm

OP here.

Thanks for the advice. I guess my more specific question is whether it matters if I send my resume etc. to the firm contact before I try to meet with someone or does the order not matter. I ask because I would like to get some resumes out early this month and I don't know how long it might take to line up any meetings (these guys are all pretty busy).

thanks everyone.

Return to “Legal Employment”