How to properly use hospitality suites

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

How to properly use hospitality suites

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:19 pm

Ok. I'm at GULC and most of the big law firms have hospitality suites during OCI week. From what I understand you can swing by the suite and drop off your resume and have a quick (5 minute) conversation with either one of the attorneys or whatever recruitment person made the trip.

So what I'm wondering is if I should plan on using hospitality suites for my target firms or my reach firms? I have an interest in tax law that is pretty obvious from reading my resume (including where I worked during 1L summer). Many of my target firms are (not surprisingly) overbid b/c they are not as picky about grades as the more elite reach firms. I'm thinking that because I have a specific interest the only way I would snag a job at the top tier firms w/ big tax departments (Davis Polk, Skadden, Caplin) is if they have a need for tax attorneys and so they are willing to dip further down the class (I'm comfortably top 1/3, but not top 10%). I don't really feel like sitting in the room with them and explaining my interest will really sway them into giving me a callback unless they have a need.

On the other hand I feel like my target firms are going to have every median kid sitting in the room telling the screener that their greatest wish was to work at XYZ firm and my presence in the room matching their enthusiasm will actually have some sort of positive effect.

Thoughts? Including anyone that thinks hospitality suites are only good for handing out tiny cans of diet coke.

anonymcoffee

Re: How to properly use hospitality suites

Postby anonymcoffee » Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:50 pm

i'm actually interested in this too, we keep hearing about firms' tables/suites. Does anyone know if GW has anything similar to this? or is it just selection of interviewers and the interview?

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:34 pm

You would be surprised how shy people can be. When I poked my head into Skadden's last year, there was only 1 law student and 2 people from the firm (recruiters or lawyers, forget which).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:47 pm

thesealocust wrote:When I poked my head into Skadden's last year, there was only 1 law student and 2 people from the firm

So did you drop anything off/talk to anyone and did anything come of it?

pasteurizedmilk

Postby pasteurizedmilk » Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:08 pm

I would go to both. Go to every suite and at least drop off a resume. For firms you're interested in do some research on them and ask targeted questions while you're there. You should try to prepare some questions for every firm except for massive reaches. As somebody else mentioned, most suites are surprisingly abandoned so don't worry about being lost in a sea of people. Although I do remember that on the last day suites started to fill up, as people began to get worried.

As far as the process - just walk in, introduce yourself and chat briefly, then say you're there to drop off a resume. They're often pretty junior people so not that intimidating, and most are outgoing enough.

PM me for some GULC-specific advice if you want.

shmoo597

Postby shmoo597 » Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:07 am

Go to every single suite. 1. its free food and swag and a nice place to rest between interviews. 2. you are top 1/3 at GULC and must do everything possible in your power to land biglaw. that means leave no stone unturned.

FWIW, I went to 10+ hospitality suites during OCI. This netted be one screening interview (did not got a slot in the lottery), which netted a callback, which netted an offer. So its very worth it to stop by. Just try to be sociable and if you have a real interest in the firm, and they like you, it can def pay off.

seriouslyinformative

Postby seriouslyinformative » Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:59 am

I'm thinking that because I have a specific interest the only way I would snag a job at the top tier firms w/ big tax departments (Davis Polk, Skadden, Caplin) is if they have a need for tax attorneys and so they are willing to dip further down the class (I'm comfortably top 1/3, but not top 10%).

No firm will ever have a need for tax attorneys, such that they will dip lower in the class for them.

I don't really feel like sitting in the room with them and explaining my interest will really sway them into giving me a callback unless they have a need.

The recruiters won't remember what you said. They're not sitting there, taking notes. It isn't an interview. You'll have some small-talk, and then you'll give your resume, and the recruiters will hand off your resume to the hiring committee. They might put a + or - next to your name if you were particularly engaging or aspie, respectively.

Think of the hospitality suite as a chill-out place. Don't act inappropriately; just use it as a means of handing off more resumes, getting another interview, or just plain relaxing. The recruiters are normal people, and while they're certainly looking to sell the firm, they also enjoy normal conversations with normal people. There's also free food, and Stuff We All Get (SWAG).

Me? I focused on the food and the SWAG.

That said: Don't overstay your welcome. You remember that episode of Futurama where Amy's parents were holding a party and Zoidberg went a few days early to mooch off of them and live there like he was family? Don't become that guy.

GeePee

Postby GeePee » Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:25 pm

Potentially stupid logistical question:

What did you all do with all the swag you got during hospitality suite visits? My plan for EIP was to bring only a padfolio with me, with firm/lawyer bios, a cheat sheet, and copies of my materials for the day's interviews. Did you all only go to the hospitality suites after the last of the day's interviews? Or did you have someplace to stash any swag that didn't fit in your pocket?

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:31 pm

GeePee wrote:Or did you have someplace to stash any swag that didn't fit in your pocket?

I'm envisioning law students squirreling away swag in hidden locations like they're Disney pirates. It's awesome.

seriouslyinformative

Postby seriouslyinformative » Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:31 pm

You can take as much swag as you want and carry it anywhere. You can even bring a backpack so it's easier to carry all your stuff, and leave it in the suite before your interview. Recruiters are totally cool with it, but just be sure you ask then before you do that. Just leaving a backpack makes you seem like a terrorist.

swc65

Postby swc65 » Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:42 pm

seriouslyinformative wrote:
I'm thinking that because I have a specific interest the only way I would snag a job at the top tier firms w/ big tax departments (Davis Polk, Skadden, Caplin) is if they have a need for tax attorneys and so they are willing to dip further down the class (I'm comfortably top 1/3, but not top 10%).

No firm will ever have a need for tax attorneys, such that they will dip lower in the class for them.

I don't really feel like sitting in the room with them and explaining my interest will really sway them into giving me a callback unless they have a need.

The recruiters won't remember what you said. They're not sitting there, taking notes. It isn't an interview. You'll have some small-talk, and then you'll give your resume, and the recruiters will hand off your resume to the hiring committee. They might put a + or - next to your name if you were particularly engaging or aspie, respectively.

Some of them do take notes. I have had a few recruiters, one at my SA firm, who stated they certainly do take notes if there is something memorable to write down.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:49 pm

A few firms are absolutely notorious for keeping a list of people who stopped by the hospitality suite. I stopped by the suite of the firm I'm working at now despite it being a PITA to fit into my schedule they day they were open. No idea if I would still have gotten the callback without swinging by, but since I'm very happy with where I wound up I'm glad I didn't take the chance, neh?

Re: tax - it's important to know that tax attorneys have an egghead reputation. Everybody in law school is some level of smart, everyone in top law schools smarter still, and everyone who lands on their feet in a bigfirm sort of verifiably quite intelligent. Tax attorneys have an added layer, they're often viewed as cloistered experts. You probably don't need BETTER grades to get a tax department gig, but they're definitely not going to "dip lower" for that practice either.

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:56 pm

lol, I don't even know that [firm] had a hospitality suite last fall--maybe that explains why I didn't get a callback!

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:57 pm

Cavalier wrote:lol, I don't even know that [firm] had a hospitality suite last fall--maybe that explains why I didn't get a callback!

Rofl, yeah they were clearly keeping a list too man. Somebody mentioned it to me mid day and I was sort of like "fffffffuuuuuuuuuuu guess I'm stopping by and not taking that nap :("

It was out of the way too. Skadden had like a huge table and a giant room, [firm] was in the back corner of Slaughter in a small interview room.

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:58 pm

thesealocust wrote:
Cavalier wrote:lol, I don't even know that [firm] had a hospitality suite last fall--maybe that explains why I didn't get a callback!

Rofl, yeah they were clearly keeping a list too man. Somebody mentioned it to me mid day and I was sort of like "fffffffuuuuuuuuuuu guess I'm stopping by and not taking that nap :("

Oops

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:30 pm

How's the food in the hospitality suites?

inchipwetrust

Postby inchipwetrust » Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:43 pm

thesealocust wrote:A few firms are absolutely notorious for keeping a list of people who stopped by the hospitality suite.

Even firms you have screeners with you still go to the suites?

monsterman

Postby monsterman » Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:55 pm

what kind of swag are we talkin about here

Capitol_Idea

Postby Capitol_Idea » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:30 pm

Proper Hospitality Suite Protocol:

1. Walk by hospitality suite without entering - get clear sightlines to food, swag, groupings of people (obstacles), etc. Repeat walking by as necessary.

2. RUN in, wild-eyed but otherwise silent. Ensure you don't have any nametags or personally identifiable information on you. The more severe and crazed your expression, the more people will instinctively back away as their primary reaction. This keeps your movement a little more free and buys you those valuable seconds in which to operate.

3. Grab food first, as much as you can fit into your mouth and ONE hand. Many people make the mistake of grabbing swag first. Rookie error: you only have so much hand space and you're on a tight timeline here.

4. With your remaining hand, scoop up swag. Don't be greedy - one swag bag is fine. If there are loose items, take one or two priority items but leave the detritus (stationary items usually) behind.

5. Mad dash out. Hospitality suite complete! Make sure to completely leave the floor before attempting a different run on another suite. Try not to hit adjacent or nearby suites consecutively.

Plainsman11011

Postby Plainsman11011 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:24 pm

Capitol_Idea wrote:Proper Hospitality Suite Protocol:

1. Walk by hospitality suite without entering - get clear sightlines to food, swag, groupings of people (obstacles), etc. Repeat walking by as necessary.

2. RUN in, wild-eyed but otherwise silent. Ensure you don't have any nametags or personally identifiable information on you. The more severe and crazed your expression, the more people will instinctively back away as their primary reaction. This keeps your movement a little more free and buys you those valuable seconds in which to operate.

3. Grab food first, as much as you can fit into your mouth and ONE hand. Many people make the mistake of grabbing swag first. Rookie error: you only have so much hand space and you're on a tight timeline here.

4. With your remaining hand, scoop up swag. Don't be greedy - one swag bag is fine. If there are loose items, take one or two priority items but leave the detritus (stationary items usually) behind.

5. Mad dash out. Hospitality suite complete! Make sure to completely leave the floor before attempting a different run on another suite. Try not to hit adjacent or nearby suites consecutively.

So, I don't post very often. But THIS^^ ladies and gentlemen is why I come back for more. +10 callbacks to you sir.

Return to “Legal Employment”