Mid/shit Law Insurance Defense Firms

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273581
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Mid/shit Law Insurance Defense Firms

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:40 pm

How do you find these.

battle_tested
Posts: 36
Joined: Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:46 am

Re: Mid/shit Law Insurance Defense Firms

Postby battle_tested » Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:44 pm

http://www.martindale.com/

you can narrow your search by size/practice/city etc.

robert85
Posts: 22
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:34 pm

Re: Mid/shit Law Insurance Defense Firms

Postby robert85 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:41 pm

what do these "shit" law firms pay?

JD2014
Posts: 161
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:45 pm

Re: Mid/shit Law Insurance Defense Firms

Postby JD2014 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:50 pm

what do these "shit" law firms pay?


Rule of thumb is about what a teacher with say 1-3 years experience in the same region makes. It sucks to go to school for 3 years and work 50 weeks a year for the same salary as a 23 year old with a summer vacation, but you don't have to deal with teenagers.

This site is reasonably tolerable for salary info, though probably skewed toward larger firms: http://www.infirmation.com/shared/insider/payscale.tcl

Anonymous User
Posts: 273581
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Mid/shit Law Insurance Defense Firms

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:17 pm

Yes shit law pays shit but the richest lawyers in America all started in shit law and don't work in big law. Great achievement is usually born of great sacrifice.
http://www.forbes.com/forbes/2001/0514/132.html

Z3RO
Posts: 526
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:57 am

Re: Mid/shit Law Insurance Defense Firms

Postby Z3RO » Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Yes shit law pays shit but the richest lawyers in America all started in shit law and don't work in big law. Great achievement is usually born of great sacrifice.
http://www.forbes.com/forbes/2001/0514/132.html


Echt?

lawgod
Posts: 465
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:22 pm

Re: Mid/shit Law Insurance Defense Firms

Postby lawgod » Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:33 pm

When my grandpa went to law school they said.
The A students will work in big firms.
They B students will be judges.
The C students will be millionaires.

But there are a thousand versions of that.

But here's a story with one version.
When my grandpa had his first law firm job, the firm decided to give one of the associates a promotion. The two candidates were my grandpa (Brooklyn law, JAG in Korea) and a kid from CLS. They asked them both how they would file a certain motion.
The kid from CLS came back an hour later with a brilliant exposition.
Grandpa came back after 5 minutes with the answer- he called the courthouse and asked.
A little common sense usually beats a clueless 4.0

TheFriendlyBarber
Posts: 258
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:13 am

Re: Mid/shit Law Insurance Defense Firms

Postby TheFriendlyBarber » Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:00 am

lawgod wrote:When my grandpa went to law school they said.
The A students will work in big firms.
They B students will be judges.
The C students will be millionaires.

But there are a thousand versions of that.

But here's a story with one version.
When my grandpa had his first law firm job, the firm decided to give one of the associates a promotion. The two candidates were my grandpa (Brooklyn law, JAG in Korea) and a kid from CLS. They asked them both how they would file a certain motion.
The kid from CLS came back an hour later with a brilliant exposition.
Grandpa came back after 5 minutes with the answer- he called the courthouse and asked.
A little common sense usually beats a clueless 4.0


I recall this story vividly. My grandpa was that "kid from CLS." He made his first billion five years later. Let me know if your old fart needs help procuring a scooter.

Kindest personal regards,
Jerry Greene, III

Anonymous Loser
Posts: 568
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:17 am

Re: Mid/shit Law Insurance Defense Firms

Postby Anonymous Loser » Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:06 am

P.S.: The grandpa's name was Albert Einstein.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Mid/shit Law Insurance Defense Firms

Postby romothesavior » Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:53 am

Anonymous User wrote:Yes shit law pays shit but the richest lawyers in America all started in shit law and don't work in big law. Great achievement is usually born of great sacrifice.
http://www.forbes.com/forbes/2001/0514/132.html

For every plaintiff's attorney making a million, there are 5 who can barely afford to pay rent on their tiny little office, and another 10 who make a very modest salary. And this is coming from someone who probably wants to do P's work longterm and has often touted P's work on TLS.

Plaintiff's work can be much more lucrative, no doubt. A successful P's attorney 5-10 years out will probably be crushing his former classmates who went the big defense firm route financially. But it doesn't always work out that way, and if you can't kill what you eat, you probably won't get very far. Also, those millionaires are doing complex, high-end P's work, not running some mom and pop PI shop.

JD2014
Posts: 161
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:45 pm

Re: Mid/shit Law Insurance Defense Firms

Postby JD2014 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:34 pm

lawgod wrote:The kid from CLS came back an hour later with a brilliant exposition.
Grandpa came back after 5 minutes with the answer


And then at the end of the year, grandpa was fired for not meeting his billable hour requirements, while the kid from CLS got a raise and a bonus. Biglaw has some perverse incentives.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273581
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Mid/shit Law Insurance Defense Firms

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:38 pm

lawgod wrote:The A students will work in big firms.
They B students will be judges.
The C students will be millionaires.


this makes me wonder what the requirements are to run for judge of traffic court. I can't imagine traffic court judges have baller campaign managers....

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Mid/shit Law Insurance Defense Firms

Postby CanadianWolf » Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:49 pm

The A students become law professors.
The B students work for the large law firms & become rich.
The C law students become judges.

lawgod
Posts: 465
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:22 pm

Re: Mid/shit Law Insurance Defense Firms

Postby lawgod » Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:53 pm

TheFriendlyBarber wrote:
lawgod wrote:When my grandpa went to law school they said.
The A students will work in big firms.
They B students will be judges.
The C students will be millionaires.

But there are a thousand versions of that.

But here's a story with one version.
When my grandpa had his first law firm job, the firm decided to give one of the associates a promotion. The two candidates were my grandpa (Brooklyn law, JAG in Korea) and a kid from CLS. They asked them both how they would file a certain motion.
The kid from CLS came back an hour later with a brilliant exposition.
Grandpa came back after 5 minutes with the answer- he called the courthouse and asked.
A little common sense usually beats a clueless 4.0


I recall this story vividly. My grandpa was that "kid from CLS." He made his first billion five years later. Let me know if your old fart needs help procuring a scooter.

Kindest personal regards,
Jerry Greene, III


Heh heh. No, Grandpa got a partner and made a little office way out on long island where they settled auto accident cases with insurance companies and never did any work. In at 10, 2 hour lunch, gone at 4. Rolling in the cash.

User avatar
gwuorbust
Posts: 2087
Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:37 pm

Re: Mid/shit Law Insurance Defense Firms

Postby gwuorbust » Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:30 pm

lawgod wrote:Heh heh. No, Grandpa got a partner and made a little office way out on long island where they settled auto accident cases with insurance companies and never did any work. In at 10, 2 hour lunch, gone at 4. Rolling in the cash.


QF MyDream




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.