Patent Law with Category B Bachelor's Degree Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Zamya

New

Patent Law with Category B Bachelor's Degree

Post by Zamya » Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:18 pm

Hi everyone. So, due to some unforeseen circumstances, I will be applying to law school in the fall of 2011 and will have now until the fall of 2012 to prepare for law school. I am currently trying to prepare myself as much as possible for law school and decide which legal field I would like to work in.

I have been pretty interested in what patent attorneys do. According to http://patbar.com/uspto-patent-bar-exam ... ents.shtml, I fall under category B (bachelor's in finance but will have 24 semester units of physics). While some of these units will be coming from my undergraduate university most of them will be coming from a community college. Will not having an actual technical degree hurt me in the short-term/long-run as a patent lawyer?

Having studied in finance, I have also thought about going into business law; however, the field seems so broad that I don't know where to begin to prepare for it (maybe finish up the units required for the CPA exam?). I am also interested in healthcare, but having literally no experience in it, I'm not sure where I would begin.

I am currently interning at a PI firm and an immigration firm and am pretty sure I do not want to work in those fields. So, this is a very broad question, but what field would be best in terms of stable income and career advancement opportunities and what could I do to prepare for it?

Aston2412

Bronze

Re: Patent Law with Category B Bachelor's Degree

Post by Aston2412 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:24 pm

Intellectual Property jobs are much easier to get if you have a hard science degree. By that I mean IP firms hire law students with much lower law school GPAs. That said, you'll need a degree. Just having classes won't suffice, at least not at any place I've seen/heard of.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”