Best Litigation Firms - NYC

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
phonepro

Best Litigation Firms - NYC

Postby phonepro » Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:44 pm

I did a search but didn't find what I was looking for.

What are some of the best litigation firms in NYC (both large firms and boutiques) that hire summer associates.

thesealocust

Re: Best Litigation Firms - NYC

Postby thesealocust » Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:32 pm

Both Quinn and Boies are arguably better, or more up and coming, or at least might pay more, than that list suggests. They're also more plantifier, which can be cool. If you're into that kind of thing.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:51 pm

It really depends what you want and what your expectations for "lit" are. Do you mean firms that get the biggest cases? Firms that let young associates do the most? Firms that go to trial a lot?

Also, do you mean best NYC based firm, or best firm with an NYC office?

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:02 pm

What's the scoop on these "elite boutiques" I hear talked about (e.g., Irell & Manella)? I see they're very selective. Why don't they show up on, say, Chambers rankings?

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:39 am

Irell has no NYC office.

IzziesGal

Postby IzziesGal » Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:59 am

I'm an SA in NYC right now....and I am in school in the Bay Area. While Quinn has a really good reputation on the West Coast (fun, good work, good atmosphere, good people), the same is unfortunately not true in NYC. I know a summer at Quinn NYC who is just miserable....pulling late nights and weekends as an SA, and just not enjoying it at all. Sad to say but the East Coast-West Coast difference is HUGE for this firm apparently. Just an FYI.

FlightoftheEarls

Postby FlightoftheEarls » Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:44 pm

IzziesGal wrote:I'm an SA in NYC right now....and I am in school in the Bay Area. While Quinn has a really good reputation on the West Coast (fun, good work, good atmosphere, good people), the same is unfortunately not true in NYC. I know a summer at Quinn NYC who is just miserable....pulling late nights and weekends as an SA, and just not enjoying it at all. Sad to say but the East Coast-West Coast difference is HUGE for this firm apparently. Just an FYI.

I don't think that's a Quinn thing, but purely a NYC/non-NYC thing.

I know SAs at tons of different NYC firms who are pulling late nights and occasional weekends, myself included. Perhaps your experience hasn't been the same (and I'm sure there are some firms where this isn't the case), but a lot of these firms are just incredibly busy and the SAs are getting pretty substantive work. And a lot of it.

IzziesGal

Postby IzziesGal » Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:10 pm

FlightoftheEarls wrote:
IzziesGal wrote:I'm an SA in NYC right now....and I am in school in the Bay Area. While Quinn has a really good reputation on the West Coast (fun, good work, good atmosphere, good people), the same is unfortunately not true in NYC. I know a summer at Quinn NYC who is just miserable....pulling late nights and weekends as an SA, and just not enjoying it at all. Sad to say but the East Coast-West Coast difference is HUGE for this firm apparently. Just an FYI.

I don't think that's a Quinn thing, but purely a NYC/non-NYC thing.

I know SAs at tons of different NYC firms who are pulling late nights and occasional weekends, myself included. Perhaps your experience hasn't been the same (and I'm sure there are some firms where this isn't the case), but a lot of these firms are just incredibly busy and the SAs are getting pretty substantive work. And a lot of it.

You could be right about the geographic difference. We are getting substantive work at my firm (drafting motions, writing portions of briefs, diligence on deals, etc.), but we are strongly encouraged to leave at 5:30/6. In fact, almost all of the attorneys tell us not to stay late or spend weekends working on whatever assignment they hand out. I have heard from people at other NY firms that this hasn't been the case everywhere.

Moxie

Postby Moxie » Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:13 pm

IzziesGal wrote:You could be right about the geographic difference. We are getting substantive work at my firm (drafting motions, writing portions of briefs, diligence on deals, etc.), but we are strongly encouraged to leave at 5:30/6. In fact, almost all of the attorneys tell us not to stay late or spend weekends working on whatever assignment they hand out. I have heard from people at other NY firms that this hasn't been the case everywhere.

I am an SA at a NYC V10 firm, but our atmosphere sounds more similar to your West Coast experience than the NYC experiences you're referring to. If we're not out by 6:30pm the partners will come and tell us to head out and leave out work for the AM, and they have strongly discouraged us being in the office on weekends. I'm sure it's not like this everywhere (or even at most firms), but I am enjoying having substantive experience while not killing myself working 70-80 hours a week. They'll be plenty of time for that in a few years :wink:

tipler4213

Postby tipler4213 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:14 pm

tag

IzziesGal

Postby IzziesGal » Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:33 pm

Moxie wrote:
IzziesGal wrote:You could be right about the geographic difference. We are getting substantive work at my firm (drafting motions, writing portions of briefs, diligence on deals, etc.), but we are strongly encouraged to leave at 5:30/6. In fact, almost all of the attorneys tell us not to stay late or spend weekends working on whatever assignment they hand out. I have heard from people at other NY firms that this hasn't been the case everywhere.

I am an SA at a NYC V10 firm, but our atmosphere sounds more similar to your West Coast experience than the NYC experiences you're referring to. If we're not out by 6:30pm the partners will come and tell us to head out and leave out work for the AM, and they have strongly discouraged us being in the office on weekends. I'm sure it's not like this everywhere (or even at most firms), but I am enjoying having substantive experience while not killing myself working 70-80 hours a week. They'll be plenty of time for that in a few years :wink:

I'm an SA in NYC, not on the West Coast. :D

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:57 pm

Not to hijack your thread, but are there any litigation heavy firms that DON'T have the sweatshop reputation?

seriouslyinformative

Postby seriouslyinformative » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:21 am

Anonymous User wrote:Not to hijack your thread, but are there any litigation heavy firms that DON'T have the sweatshop reputation?

Kramer Levin. I hear Patterson Belknap and Kasowitz Benson are relatively light on the hours (by NY standards). Hughes Hubbard, I think, also is pretty chill. They don't call it Booze, Rubbers, and Weed for nothing...

seriouslyinformative

Postby seriouslyinformative » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:22 am

If we're not out by 6:30pm the partners will come and tell us to head out and leave out work for the AM, and they have strongly discouraged us being in the office on weekends.

It's just a summer program thing. Once you start, that will almost never happen. Believe me.

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:08 am

seriouslyinformative wrote:
If we're not out by 6:30pm the partners will come and tell us to head out and leave out work for the AM, and they have strongly discouraged us being in the office on weekends.

It's just a summer program thing. Once you start, that will almost never happen. Believe me.

Really, it's a summer program at firms that always give 100% offers thing.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:02 pm

On the West Coast lit note, I've done some searching but can't seem to pinpoint what gpa the West Coast lit boutiques (Irell Manella / Munger Tolles / Quinn Emanuel specifically) are looking for from East Coast T10 applicants. The TLS profiles for Irell and Quinn suggest they use hard grade cutoffs, but don't specify. Anyone know?

Return to “Legal Employment”