Need help picking firms!

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Need help picking firms!

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:38 pm

I'm an incoming 2L at NYU, have a GPA around 3.7, which I think is high enough to be top 10%. Assuming my grades are good enough for all but maybe the very top of the Vault list (is that a fair assumption?), I am primarily evaluating firms based on:

Quality of life/work-life balance
Commitment to pro-bono
Political leaning (would like to work for a firm with a Democratic tilt)
Job security/chance of offer

I most likely want to do transactional work. I would like to end up in DC or NY, though I am open to firms in California, Philadelphia, or Boston. My resume is very public-interest heavy, so I will have to do a little bit of convincing during interviews. Also, I am not the greatest interviewer.

I was hoping people could advise me on whether these are the right criteria, and recommend some firms that meet my criteria. While I have done some research on firms, I am having a hard time figuring out what to look for...they all do a good job of making the firm seem great on their website, literature and the events they throw for us. So I need help figuring out how to see beyond the sales pitch and figure out which firms I would be the happiest/least miserable at.

ruski

Re: Need help picking firms!

Postby ruski » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:46 pm

unfortunately your list of criteria is not very specific. for instance, all firms nowadays are towards the left politically. any firm in the v15 (and probably much further down as well) will guarantee you an offer if you don't screw up. and quality of life will be more dependant on the practice group/partners you work with than the firm in general. there might be slight variations in how they stress pro bono, but this can be found from any pro bono ranking that is published.

unfortunatly you will come to learn that a majority of OCI is just playing the lottery.

Aston2412

Postby Aston2412 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:55 pm

ruski wrote:unfortunatly you will come to learn that a majority of OCI is just playing the lottery.

The benefit of being top 10% at NYU is that you're playing the lottery and have 6 out of 7 numbers already matched.

sanetruth

Postby sanetruth » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:57 pm

So you're coming from one of the best PI schools in the country, your resume is very public interest-heavy, you're looking for good work/life balance, are highly interested in pro bono work, and want to work in a left-leaning environment....

so explain to me why you're not looking to go into public interest????

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:19 pm

sanetruth wrote:So you're coming from one of the best PI schools in the country, your resume is very public interest-heavy, you're looking for good work/life balance, are highly interested in pro bono work, and want to work in a left-leaning environment....

so explain to me why you're not looking to go into public interest????

Mainly because I am getting screwed over by NYU's LRAP program due to pre-law school employment. Also, I still might decide to go into public interest, but I want to at least try working at a firm and I know that if you don't do it 2L summer, it's unlikely you will ever get the chance. Plus, I think I prefer transactional work (based on my limited exposure) over litigation, and most PI work is litigation.

Plus, I am working at a PI organization this summer and it doesn't seem like the lawyers have a great work/life balance.

It was a tough decision, but I decided to at least do EIW and see how it goes and whether I think I could be comfortable at a firm.

Return to “Legal Employment”