Clerkship Application 2011 - Ninth Circuit COA

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Citizen Genet
Posts: 516
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:03 am

Clerkship Application 2011 - Ninth Circuit COA

Postby Citizen Genet » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:16 am

I am the Anon. who started the thread about a clerkship forum. I figure that, in the meanwhile, it might be productive to have a thread on some of the areas I am interested in. (Note, I'm not applying until next cycle. I am a rising 2L.) I think a dedicated forum would attract more participation, but I'm interested to know what's happening.


For the Ninth Circuit, a lot of the judges should already be hiring for the '12-'13 Term. Comments from the defunct LCA indicate:

Judge Kleinfeld - fully hired; no info on schools
Judge Kozinski - fully hired; no info on schools
Judge Milan Smith - fully hired; no info on schools
Judge Ikuta - hired at least 1; no info on school
Judge Hawkins - hired at least 1 (Ariz.)

Anyone have any other info on hires for the Ninth Circuit?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273182
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Clerkship Application 2011 - Ninth Circuit COA

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:41 pm

According to Boalt's clerkship directory, Ikuta has hired 2 from Boalt for 2012-13.

GMVarun
Posts: 190
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:48 pm

Re: Clerkship Application 2011 - Ninth Circuit COA

Postby GMVarun » Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:11 pm

Perhaps, you should link all of these various threads, into one large clerkship thread (organized by federal COA, district, etc.). That can serve as a source of clerkship information if/when a separate forum is created.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273182
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Clerkship Application 2011 - Ninth Circuit COA

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:54 pm

Smith, Fisher, O'Scannlain, Reinhardt have all hired one HLS for 2012.

As for other circuits, only real notable one is Posner having already hired a c/o 2012 grad for 2012.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273182
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Clerkship Application 2011 - Ninth Circuit COA

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Smith, Fisher, O'Scannlain, Reinhardt have all hired one HLS for 2012.

As for other circuits, only real notable one is Posner having already hired a c/o 2012 grad for 2012.


Lolwut?

I didn't realize than any of the following judges who have hired are not "notable":

Wilkinson; Sutton; Jerry Smith; Gorsuch;

I'm sure there are others, but it is certainly laughable to claim that Posner is the only notable non-9th Circuit who's hired already for 2012.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273182
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Clerkship Application 2011 - Ninth Circuit COA

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Smith, Fisher, O'Scannlain, Reinhardt have all hired one HLS for 2012.

As for other circuits, only real notable one is Posner having already hired a c/o 2012 grad for 2012.


Lolwut?

I didn't realize than any of the following judges who have hired are not "notable":

Wilkinson; Sutton; Jerry Smith; Gorsuch;

I'm sure there are others, but it is certainly laughable to claim that Posner is the only notable non-9th Circuit who's hired already for 2012.


It was notable because all of the other ones hired 2011 grads or earlier. Posner hired a 2012. I wasn't meaning to attack the awesomeness of the other judges.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273182
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Clerkship Application 2011 - Ninth Circuit COA

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Smith, Fisher, O'Scannlain, Reinhardt have all hired one HLS for 2012.

As for other circuits, only real notable one is Posner having already hired a c/o 2012 grad for 2012.


Lolwut?

I didn't realize than any of the following judges who have hired are not "notable":

Wilkinson; Sutton; Jerry Smith; Gorsuch;

I'm sure there are others, but it is certainly laughable to claim that Posner is the only notable non-9th Circuit who's hired already for 2012.


It was notable because all of the other ones hired 2011 grads or earlier. Posner hired a 2012. I wasn't meaning to attack the awesomeness of the other judges.


I can assure you that Posner is not the only judge to have hired a 2012 graduate...

Anonymous User
Posts: 273182
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Clerkship Application 2011 - Ninth Circuit COA

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:12 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Smith, Fisher, O'Scannlain, Reinhardt have all hired one HLS for 2012.

As for other circuits, only real notable one is Posner having already hired a c/o 2012 grad for 2012.


Lolwut?

I didn't realize than any of the following judges who have hired are not "notable":

Wilkinson; Sutton; Jerry Smith; Gorsuch;

I'm sure there are others, but it is certainly laughable to claim that Posner is the only notable non-9th Circuit who's hired already for 2012.


It was notable because all of the other ones hired 2011 grads or earlier. Posner hired a 2012. I wasn't meaning to attack the awesomeness of the other judges.


I can assure you that Posner is not the only judge to have hired a 2012 graduate...


On the official list that HLS updates he is. That's all the information I have. Next time, I'll include a disclaimer that states that what I posted is based only on my knowledge, not knowledge I don't have.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273182
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Clerkship Application 2011 - Ninth Circuit COA

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:15 am

Graber hired one SLS grad for 2013.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273182
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Clerkship Application 2011 - Ninth Circuit COA

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:37 am

I'm pretty sure Reinhardt is done for 2012 and has at least one for 2013.

JusticeJackson
Posts: 454
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:26 am

Re: Clerkship Application 2011 - Ninth Circuit COA

Postby JusticeJackson » Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:44 am

.
Last edited by JusticeJackson on Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273182
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Clerkship Application 2011 - Ninth Circuit COA

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:46 am

JusticeJackson wrote:2013? Unreal.


The CTA9 judges hiring for 2013 often have specific reasons for doing so - e.g., they took an interest in an applicant who gave them a valid, time-sensitive reason that it would be helpful for them to have a year's delay before clerking. E.g., the applicant may have received a simultaneous offer for a clerkship at a different level or a fellowship. It does not necessarily mean that the judge is already full for 2012, although it does often mean that.

nymario
Posts: 239
Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:57 pm

Re: Clerkship Application 2011 - Ninth Circuit COA

Postby nymario » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:58 am

I'm not interested in names, but numbers would help. My Clerkship Committee chair ASSURES me that judges who hire off plain "mainly" are hiring 3Ls or alumni, rather than 2Ls. I would like something to bring to him to say that it is a non-negligible amount of clerkships that I can't pursue of they don't work off-plan. I understand doing the recommendation legwork on my own (rather than through their system) and compiling my packet alone are part of the deal; but why would my Clerkship Committee chair discourage me from pursuing this path (and it isn't because I'm an unlikely CoA candidate -- I feel I could have the strongest package among my class (not trying to be especially immodest, but just discounting a possible reason for his discouragement).

Anonymous User
Posts: 273182
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Clerkship Application 2011 - Ninth Circuit COA

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:15 pm

Many (probably at least 10 rising 3Ls) at my T-10 school have already had interviews since February of 2L year. I don't think a majority of circuit court judges have hired or are hiring yet, but a significant number are at least at the interview stage. Makes me curious how on-plan hiring will play out. Ordinarily the DC circuit is insanely competitive, but this year I think people seeking a circuit court clerkship would be crazy to wait until the plan, so maybe the DC circuit will be easier to crack because more well-qualified applicants will already have been snatched up? Probably just wishful thinking on my part.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.