clerkship cover letter question

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
clerkshipwanted

clerkship cover letter question

Postby clerkshipwanted » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:11 pm

i want to be an ausa - can i say i am applying to x judge, a former ausa b/c he was an ausa?

Anonymous User

Re: clerkship cover letter question

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:56 am

One of the judges for whom I clerked is a former prosecutor who is certainly willing to mentor aspiring prosecutors. It would certainly not hurt your application to my judge, and (speaking speculatively - the judge has never told me this) could possibly help, if you were to mention the interest in prosecution. I don't know, offhand, of a reason why it would be bad form to mention this.

Anonymous User

Re: clerkship cover letter question

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:03 am

Hey GTL,

Current COA clerk here. I ultimately want to end up in academia. I've laid the necessary foundation for that, at least as far as I can at this point. In any event, I'm considering doing a second clerkship in the semi-distant future as a segue into a VAP or a tenure-track post. This thread seems like an opportune time to ask a cover letter question that I've been mulling over. If I do a second clerkship, I would want it to be for a COA judge who has experience in academia. What do you think about expressing that in the cover letter? I'm not quite sure how I would say it yet, but something along the lines of "I hope to pursue a career in academia after this clerkship, and would welcome the opportunity to mentor under a judge with prior academic experience." That needs work, but you get the gist.

Thanks for the help.

Return to “Legal Employment”