SDNY / 2d Cir Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
clerkshipwanted

New

SDNY / 2d Cir

Post by clerkshipwanted » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:49 pm

Anyone willing to share the names of judges they know have started/finished hiring for 2012?
I'd add info - but I've got nothing...

Anonymous User

Re: SDNY / 2d Cir

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:10 pm

Baer, Buchwald, Karas, and Marrero have hired at least 1 clerk apiece from HLS for 2012.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:20 pm

Rakoff is done for 2012.

clerkshipwanted

New

Post by clerkshipwanted » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Rakoff is done for 2012.
really? he posted on oscar about two weeks ago that he was accepting applications for 2012.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:40 pm

clerkshipwanted wrote:really? he posted on oscar about two weeks ago that he was accepting applications for 2012.
heard he had three, but could be wrong.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:03 am

How about CJ Jacobs? I have some very specific reasons I want to work for him (other than the typical reasons of the CJ of one of 2/7/9/D) -- much more so than any of the off-plan judges. I want to litigate, so I'm otherwise going to content myself with SDNY/EDNY/DCT/DNJ (not that any of those are a given, of course) and maybe working a 3rd Circuit connection. However, as far as some of Jacobs' areas of interest, I actually have a fair amount of real world experience (national security).

I'm at a school typically below where he takes clerks, but if I can place with one of his feeder clerks (I know one of one of his former clerks' District Judge's clerk, as he's my high school best friend's sister's husband. So pretty clearly, this is a solid link that I should be able to exploit without being laughed in my face :) (kidding (though the relationship is real) -- as it should be obvious to most, but TLS trolls sometimes need it explained.)) I think it isn't out of the realm of possibilities.

This is for OT13 (or OT14 if I go to a district judge first) -- so it's not like it is extremely time sensitive.

reasonable_man

Gold

Post by reasonable_man » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:31 am

Nothing to contribute other than to say that the one oral argument I had before Rakoff was damn frightening (and it took place at about 5:30 pm).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:34 am

Anonymous User wrote:How about CJ Jacobs? I have some very specific reasons I want to work for him (other than the typical reasons of the CJ of one of 2/7/9/D) -- much more so than any of the off-plan judges. I want to litigate, so I'm otherwise going to content myself with SDNY/EDNY/DCT/DNJ (not that any of those are a given, of course) and maybe working a 3rd Circuit connection. However, as far as some of Jacobs' areas of interest, I actually have a fair amount of real world experience (national security).

I'm at a school typically below where he takes clerks, but if I can place with one of his feeder clerks (I know one of one of his former clerks' District Judge's clerk, as he's my high school best friend's sister's husband. So pretty clearly, this is a solid link that I should be able to exploit without being laughed in my face :) (kidding (though the relationship is real) -- as it should be obvious to most, but TLS trolls sometimes need it explained.)) I think it isn't out of the realm of possibilities.

This is for OT13 (or OT14 if I go to a district judge first) -- so it's not like it is extremely time sensitive.
A couple thoughts:

1) If you're not a rising 3L, then it's way too early to be worrying about clerkships. To the extent that a judge hires a year out, that generally indicates that they want work experience or a prior district court clerkship.

2) School tier and class rank?

3) Most people who want to clerk want to litigate, so I don't understand how that's a special reason. Not trying to be snarky, but I don't see how that would make you stand out as a candidate.

4) You have a very narrow geographic range. There are a lot of other circuits and there are a lot of other very good districts: DDC, NDIL, CDCA, NDCA, EDVA, etc.

5) If you are at a 'lower ranked' (because I dont know how you define it) then you'll want to cast a wider net.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:08 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:How about CJ Jacobs? I have some very specific reasons I want to work for him (other than the typical reasons of the CJ of one of 2/7/9/D) -- much more so than any of the off-plan judges. I want to litigate, so I'm otherwise going to content myself with SDNY/EDNY/DCT/DNJ (not that any of those are a given, of course) and maybe working a 3rd Circuit connection. However, as far as some of Jacobs' areas of interest, I actually have a fair amount of real world experience (national security).

A couple thoughts:

1) If you're not a rising 3L, then it's way too early to be worrying about clerkships. To the extent that a judge hires a year out, that generally indicates that they want work experience or a prior district court clerkship.

2) School tier and class rank?

3) Most people who want to clerk want to litigate, so I don't understand how that's a special reason. Not trying to be snarky, but I don't see how that would make you stand out as a candidate.

4) You have a very narrow geographic range. There are a lot of other circuits and there are a lot of other very good districts: DDC, NDIL, CDCA, NDCA, EDVA, etc.

5) If you are at a 'lower ranked' (because I dont know how you define it) then you'll want to cast a wider net.
1) I know few off-plan judges are hiring 2Ls this early. Just sort of planning

2) Lower end of Tier 1, #1 ranked

3) No, I am not saying the desire would even get conveyed to the judge. I'm just saying that I don't mind doing a district clerkship before i try for CoA, because the experience would be valuable in a different way.

4) I agree. I'm going to cast my net fairly wide -- the NY centered focus is just a preference, especially due to a significant other. But I am not saying within 100 mi or nothing -- I'm absolutely looking wider.

5) See 2, supra

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:45 am

G. T. L. Rev. wrote:Katzmann has already hired at least one for '12.
Doesn't Katzmann usually hire a year out and make clerks do d ct first? I.e. wouldn't he already be full for 2012 and looking for 2013?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”